2016 Chief Dark Horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Chief Dark Horse

for sale locally. 4500 miles $12000. Facebook market place.

Nothing like buying a $25k new bike and selling for less than half in 2 years lol

Comment

Not sure about a chief (lower value), I just paid $12500 for a 2014 Chieftain with 2700 miles and had to drive 1k miles to get it.
      Don’t know if that helps any.
      I’ve put 7k miles on it in the last few months and am more impressed with it all the time. (Once I got it set up to fit me)
      owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

Comment

I'm seeing more and more Indian big twins very close to the $10K mark. Most of them are very low mileage.

Comment

what are your opinion for those bikes? I like them a lot but are more reliable than the M8 touring models? Here in Cyprus they only sold only 5-6 Indian Scout. No used ones to buy and a new dark horse it will cost 31000-32000 dollars.

Comment

• cike
            cike commented
            Editing a comment
            275,446 miles without any major repairs is the highest i've seen on the 111TS bikes so far, It was on a 2014 Indian Chieftain. No brand of bike is 100% completely trouble free, but on the Indian forums it seems that very few people are having motor or transmission issues. The issues seem to be more like,, the radio shuts off sometimes, belt squeek, windshield noise.
            I say that mine feels like a cross between a Goldwing and an Electra Glide.... It has some of the cool feelings like a Harley, but is a little more refined, and feels more quality built like the Honda... My motor feels very tight and well put together... guess only time will tell for sure. But so far i'm very impressed.
            I would not pay new price for one though unless I was loaded.

• Spydr
            Spydr commented
            Editing a comment
            Pana, is that 32,000 *U.S.* dollars for that Dark Horse?

I like the Indian Elite more than the HD CVO but the point is moot...I would never spend $32k-$50k on a new bike. I think a used big inch Indian for $10k would be a pretty reasonable ride.

Comment

I wish I could find a used one but Indian company in Cyprus came the last 2-3 years and until now sold only a few indian scoot. Now the only problem is to find 31000 dollars to buy one without my wife discover anything.

Any ideas will be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Panayiotis Chrysanthou View Post
              I wish I could find a used one but Indian company in Cyprus came the last 2-3 years and until now sold only a few indian scoot. Now the only problem is to find 31000 dollars to buy one without my wife discover anything.

Any ideas will be very helpful.
              Once you get the $ and the bike, use one of these on your wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post

Once you get the $ and the bike, use one of these on your wife!

That is cool. I wish I had one.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	86666Lake resize.jpg Bought my Vintage in 2016. Beautiful bike and exceptional ride. No problems except a couple of pieces of bad chrome warranty covered. Around 15k miles now no problems. There were no used ones then so I bought new. Now you can certainly find really good deals.

Comment

Buddy bought a 2014 Vintage used a few years back. He's really liked it. He's had to replace the starter (seems I've heard of others with starter issues) and the throttle body. The throttle body was a weird one. He'd be riding along and the bike would just lose power. It would throw a code. Pull off to the shoulder and shut it off for a bit and then it wouldn't crop up for several weeks.. The dealer pissed around with it and Polaris was kind of clueless as to what was going on. They wanted to replace wiring harness but buddy was adamant they replace the TB. They finally gave in and he hasn't had any issues since.

Thankfully the year bike he bought had a 5 year transferable warranty. So it was all covered. Apparently the new bikes only have a one year warranty?

Comment

Bought my 15 Cheiftain last August for 13,500. It had 1996 miles on it. It now has just under 6,000 on it and has been awesome. I have a company vehicle that I have to drive back and forth to work or it would have more miles on it.

The market for large Vtwins has crashed both new and used for every manufactur . I posted on the Indian forum buying a bike is an investment however it's not a money you get out of it its joy. If you are looking to buy a bike and make money you are delusional.

Comment

i have been test riding all the indians since American Pickers debuted the engine only at daytona before the bikes were built. the early ones were smooth as glass, a little warm for the rider, and nice for short guys. later years were different, clunking arrived, they made height options,and did engine mods for heat at stoplight. I road a dark horse, and it clunked in every gear. why? ifn you gonna buy a USED injun, make sure it is set up to you height, shifts smoothly, and I would opt for one of those BEEEYUTEEFUL COLORS they paint. and I ALWAYS TOld my frends, AN indian, like a Victory, is a risky investment, you will always be able to accessorize and resell an HD , that sells for the same initial price, in spite of the obvious quality difference, not to mention dealer/stealer availability

Comment

2 comments
                          • cike
                            #5.1
                            cike commented
                            3 days ago
                            275,446 miles without any major repairs is the highest i've seen on the 111TS bikes so far, It was on a 2014 Indian Chieftain. No brand of bike is 100% completely trouble free, but on the Indian forums it seems that very few people are having motor or transmission issues. The issues seem to be more like,, the radio shuts off sometimes, belt squeek, windshield noise.
                            I say that mine feels like a cross between a Goldwing and an Electra Glide.... It has some of the cool feelings like a Harley, but is a little more refined, and feels more quality built like the Honda... My motor feels very tight and well put together... guess only time will tell for sure. But so far i'm very impressed.
                            I would not pay new price for one though unless I was loaded.
                          • Cike do you know that mileage to be a fact? or is that a claim from a Indian forum member? That comes down to 55000 a year and that means 150 miles a day 7days a weak for 5 years. Seems a bit of a stretch.
                          • A buddy of mine has a 2016 Roadmaster and loves it. The only issue is that aftermarket parts and accessories are not easily found and the few factory available accessories are very expensive.

Comment

From what I have read on several forums, most guys buying the big Indians are, well, older retired gentleman. They are putting some serious mileage on them. I believe the guy with 275k is up over 300k now. Over 100k is starting to get fairly common now.
                            Normally I wait 5 years to buy a new model bike, my R* was a 05'. But a major heart attack in 2015 and a seemingly good re-do of Indian got me to buy a bit quicker than normal (2016 Vintage). Indian has always been my dream bike.There are also guys who are dissecting these engines with great results. Posts like this one made me feel better about not waiting.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/th...on-too.185777/

Comment

• davej
                              davej commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The math says 150 mi a day 7 days a week and 365 days a year for 5 years to get to that mileage. Especially if it is an older retired guy I find that many miles in 5 years hard to believe

Davej post 173 on page 11 shows the millage on the odometer... if you go back through the thread he has been posting pics since about 200k. Also lists maintenance done so far. (post 47). best I can figure, he must do like a 200 mile a day interstate ride.
                            Gave up looking for your posts. But I’m sure you have nothing but good things to say about long term ownership. If there was problem areas with the...
                            owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

Comment

• davej
                              davej commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don't know how to navigate that site to find it but if you seen it I trust it to be there. That guy must never get off the bike because the math I said is correct.

It created 2 links.. clink on how many miles , and not the Indian.com part

Comment

I see it on there but I still think something don't sound right. the guy lives in Minnesota that has a very limited riding season and with the math being correct he would have to be like a mailman. rain,sleet,ice or snow won't stop him from riding 150 miles a day 7 days a week 365 days a year for 5 years. Sorry but to me something stinks.
                              I still think the Indian is a good bike and have ridden them on demo days a few times along with riding my buddy's roadmaster and like them alot. My buddy hasn't had any issues with his at all with I think around 30K on it

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
                                i have been test riding all the indians since American Pickers debuted the engine only at daytona before the bikes were built. the early ones were smooth as glass, a little warm for the rider, and nice for short guys. later years were different, clunking arrived, they made height options,and did engine mods for heat at stoplight. I road a dark horse, and it clunked in every gear. why? ifn you gonna buy a USED injun, make sure it is set up to you height, shifts smoothly, and I would opt for one of those BEEEYUTEEFUL COLORS they paint. and I ALWAYS TOld my frends, AN indian, like a Victory, is a risky investment, you will always be able to accessorize and resell an HD , that sells for the same initial price, in spite of the obvious quality difference, not to mention dealer/stealer availability
                                That thing about Harleys resale value. It's just not true. When I had my Roadstar I compared the blue book price for the same year Fatboy (06) the HD retained something like 60% of its value and the Roadstar was around 55%. The real money difference however favored the R* since new it was around 6 grand and the Fatboy around 13 grand. In other words a 06 Fatboy owner lost 7.5 Grand while the R* owner lost 3. They hold a better percentage of their value true but they dont hold real money value better.

Having said that used HD's go for more money the used Indians. But I didnt buy mine to sell it

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by thunderace4, 11 hours ago
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Bikerron  
                                Started by JonBru, 3 days ago
                                10 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post RonK