I need a paint code!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a paint code!

I've been trying to find a decent local paint supplier, so I can shoot one or two of my bikes and every one them asks me for a "paint code" that I know won't do them any damn good. One guy told me that he's never had a call for a motorcycle paint in over five years and their software doesn't even have an index of motorcycle codes. I can't give them the paint code I referenced off any online supplier like PPG or Color Rite because those are proprietary numbers that only relate to their paint produces. I'm in touch with another possible paint guy and he's asking me for the same damn paint code (again) and I have no idea what to tell him. I'm looking for the Yamaha paint code for a 2007 Roadliner or Road Star in Dark Red Metallic or DRMK. Can any one help me?

The Liner VIN # is JYAVP21Y97A000550

Just realized my information was of no value

Maybe something here will help?

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...ts/color-codes

Comment

Take it or a side cover to any quality paint jobber and they can match the paint and give you a paint code. When i painted my 09 they matched it to a 7 out of 10 butt match which unless you paint all the time you cant tell the difference.

Comment

• midnitmike
        midnitmike commented
        Editing a comment
        Going through the matching process is both time consuming and expensive because this is a Tri Coat paint. They'll have to spray the base coat, color coat and clear coat to get an idea of what that batch looks like and do it all over again with each adjustment. If I can give him a paint code it's a one shot deal...so to speak.

Paint codes are pretty useless on vehicles as the get older. Paint fades, it changes chemically. The best you can hope for is a good general match. Any GOOD body shop business should have a scanner and software program to duplicate the color from a part you provide. They are just being lazy or cheap. It is a challenge I face with restoring British sports cars.

Comment

• midnitmike
        midnitmike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not trying to match the old paint since I plan on repainting the whole bike anyway. I want the same paint that it came from the factory with because of all the reds I've looked at this one is far and away the nicest one I've ever seen. It has just the right amount of metal flake, the subtle flop to orange that's almost impossible to find in any other red and dark shadows when it not in direct sunlight...in other words it's perfect!

Right now I'm working on a truck and the customer has tried three different blues from two different shops and they're not even close. I've been mixing and blending them trying to match the color and I'm still not happy with the results. An honest to God paint code should give me the right stuff the first time...not after a week of screwing around.

When I wanted to paint the tour trunk, I purchased paint from Color Right. The result was catastrophic. The paint was not even close to the paint on my R*. I took a side cover to the body shop that painted the trunk and they did a great job at matching the color. They gave a code and a small can of touch up paint.

Comment

The guy who painted my fairing came to my work and removed my front fender to computer scan it to match. It came out perfect in my opinion but I don't notice subtle differences anyway. Just ask my wife

Comment

• midnitmike
          midnitmike commented
          Editing a comment
          I came pretty darn close to matching the color on my fairing too, but I'm going to have to live with it forever, so if I can get it right the first time around it'll save me a lot of work and frustration. I notice stuff...just ask my ex-wife.

Ok, from what I'm able to determine the Yamaha paint code is 918, but that doesn't appear to have any real value, because it doesn't translate out correctly and comes up as a green. How in the hell are we supposed to get paint for these things if no one can match 'em?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Lifeguard, 1 day ago
        10 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Shores
        by Shores

Started by JonBru, 15 hours ago
        8 responses
        0 likes