Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this model yammie.. someone give me some clues n help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this model yammie.. someone give me some clues n help?

So i just traded a car for a 99 roadstar 1600.. from a ladie who dint seem to know much (it was her exhusbands) told me it was “bored over” but not how much.. has squishy feont brake(checking fluid tomorrow) notice clutch is slipping at high loads.. has 78,000 miles on it. Motor seems strong and solid.. it acts like its not jetted or injected(idk which it has) as it seems to feel like its leaning out way before shed be redlining.. like my 78 750 triple did before i rejetted carbs.. did i just get soaked with a lemon? Would old gear oil make clutxch slip? I dont know .. right now i just got back home from my hour long ride back from work for my first official commut.. and im worried.. i work at founders brewing company an hour from my home... can anyone clue me in? Is this gunna be a pricey fixer upper? Ist it worth it? Did i just get effed in the a? My car was a good car with 105,000 miles on it.. doubting the brap outta myself right now...

Damn phone... looks like i cant spell for sh*t.

Comment

You're in luck! You came to the right place. There is hundreds of years of collective knowledge and experience, and Road Stars are awesome bikes. I've got 3, and been riding them for 12 years now!

First, I hope it isn't bored over, as the R* cylinders should not/cannot be bored, BUT there are overbore kits of different cubic inch displacements that can be bought and installed... maybe something like that was done. It may not be material to your situation right now.... the other things are bigger concerns, but not expensive ones, as you fear.

Second, R* clutches are somewhat notorious for slipping with age and miles. No big deal really. They almost always need nothing more than a new clutch spring. EBC makes a 20% stronger one for about $52. And, if you're handy, can be done in an afternoon. The toughest part is removing the gasket material, best accomplished faster and easy with a mild 3M Roloc pad... way better than scraping, and far less chance of knicking up the aluminum gasket surface of the case! The gasket may be about $15, but properly employed gasket making material in a tube works, too. I do the job without buying a gasket. The R* has a wet clutch in the engine oil, so swap that oil out, and go new.... BUT, only with Jaso approved V-twin bike oil, only! Did i say use V-twin bike oil only? Yes, yes, I did. The Amsoil and Mobil 1 may still be the best of those, but no head-to-head testing's been done of them for 10 years now. I use the Amsoil 10w-40 for Jap bikes. Some try to slide with Shell Rotella T-4. It'll supposedly do, but I won't scrimp there.

Third, by all means, if you think the carb is not properly jetted... re-do it! It's not $100, perhaps a jet kit can still be had for under $70, and ask the carb gurus here for the right jet, needle and pms screw settings... the carb guys have it down to a science!

You're on your way, friend... for small change, and all else being good, you're going to fall in love, and never give her up! I have my first one still, and have owned maybe a half a dozen others since... still ride 3. can't see ever selling, until i can ride them no more.

Oh, oh, and do check the front drive pulley nut for tightness. They do have a tendency to get loose, and nothing good has ever come of that!

I live in MA, and

Comment

First thing...check to see if the transmission recall was done. Call Yamaha and/or a dealership with the Vin. It's a free recall to fix a potential issue AND it's a very good idea to upgrade to the later model oul pump shaft (cheap part) while doing this. This is a must..don't bother changing any fluids/filters until you know this recall is done. Second thing get a service manual.

if you find out the recall has been done then I would also check thw front oulley nut for tightness...and donthisbevery year....also, ibwould personally do the following as maintenance for that old/high mileage of a Roadstar:

change oil and filter (4 quarts exactly of good quality v-twin specific motorcycle oil...Amsoil, Mobil 1, Quicksilver are great choices). Do not cheap on oil. Do not use car oil. Your engine oil also bathes your clutch.

clutch slippage....upgrade the clutch spring to the Barnett Spring conversion kit and in would order new OEM Yamaha clutch discs and steels at your mileage. Not aftermarket clutch discs. If you don't his your clutch will likely last the rest of your riding life. Do this at the oil change.. have to drain oil to do the clutch

transfer case fluid change...need half a quart of good gear oil...inhave used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90 with good results.

new fuel filter and air filter (didn't mention if it has stock airbox on it...pics would help)

flush brake fluid completely and put new in...I have used Prestone synthetic DOT 4 with great success on several old Yamahas
        ​​​​​​
        have to check your brake rotor thickness and replace if not in spec. Also EBC HH brake pads are a great/cheap upgrade for this heavy bike.

check your battery for proper voltage while starting/running

check tires carefully for date code and condition

new spark plugs (need 4 and use NGK standard OEM plugs)

you have a carbeuretor (99-07) so a proper amount of seafoam gas treatment 3 full tanks of gas in a row (1 bottle seafoam treats 15 gallons...don't use full strength just 1 oz per gallon) would be a good idea

lube shifter pivot points, throttle cables, clutch cable, brake and clutch levers, kickstandn and seat latch mechanism real good

​​at that mileage should check wheel bearings, steering head bearings (at least check and regrease if still good if not, replace)

good idea to inspect the rubber fuel lines for crack or deterioration

Intake manifold is prone to cracking after 20 years and a new manifold is only $70 (can port yourself for better performance). Spray starting fluid around intake area while bike is running to check for intake leak. Leaking intake manifold will make bike run poorly popping on decel etc. Also there is a tiny nipple on top of manifold..Make sure that has a good rubber/plastic cap on it so it's sealed up.

check exhaust stud bolts for proper tightness.

check belt tension with a gauge and check rear tire for proper alignment. Don't go by alignment marks on rear frame...measure distance from center of swing arm pivot to center of rear axel...must be equal on both sides.

seems like alot but your riding a 20 year old 80k mile machine that you don't know the history of . And don't worry if taken care of your bikes engine/transmission should last 150k-225k miles with nothing but routine maintenance.

Comment

That about covers it you got a good bike there. '99 is my favorite year.
          Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid----John Wayne

Comment

Oh yeah, from Sweet Home, Oregon. Where do you hail from? Guessing your in the south.
            Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid----John Wayne

Comment

from Solon, IA

Comment

Welcome fro Puyallup, WA. Read this entire link below and report back in three days for the 250 question exam.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check

Comment

from Burlington, Iowa.

There are a lot of excellent mechanics on this site that will definitely help you out and steer you in the right direction.....no matter what the problem/situation may be. Photos are quite helpful as well.

Comment

from Conway, SC. You came to the right place for any problems you may encounter. There is a vast amount of knowledge here. Be safe, ride safe.

Comment

from Sturgis Mi Founders in Grand Rapids? I love me some Dirty Bastard!!!

Comment

From the Oregon Coast...you are in the right place....I’m not overly mechanically inclined and with the help of many here I’ve done things to mine I would’ve never attempted before joining this amazing site....

Comment

got all the advice you need to sort out.

Comment

from Athens, Georgia.
                            Enjoy the ride !
                            I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by thunderace4, 11 hours ago
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Bikerron  
                            Started by JonBru, 3 days ago
                            10 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post RonK