Wheel issues and a crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel issues and a crash

Hey guys, I live in South Florida and just got a nice Road Star with low miles. I recently upgraded the tires to Michelin Commander 2's. The tube in the front tire was bad or wasn't installed correctly so it went flat on me while breaking them in. At around 40 miles, I felt a drag and thought it might be the motor having issues (since I had never experienced that before) and went down before being able to stop on the shoulder. I was wearing my gear so it protected me from major road rash, but the bike was damaged. I am looking to replace the parts that got scraped up (pipes, bags, handlebars, crash bar, etc). I'd like to get SOME MAG WHEELS so I don't have to worry about issues with inner tubes again. I really don't want to crash again because of a flat tire. I've never had any issue on my other bike that has mag wheels. Any help would be great.

I need to know if mag wheels from a Road Star XV1700 or other model bike would be compatible with my bike. I currently have the stock 16 inch spoke rims.

Thanks guys!

what year is your bike? They are all compatible but some years will need some bearing and spacers swapped.

Comment

Hey there neighbor... I'm also in SoFla.
      I would Really like to know what shop down here put New tires on your Spoked wheels without *Insisting* that the tubes be replaced as well.

I've been changing my own tires for years (for reasons that we won't go into). But when I used to take my spoked wheels in for tires, they Always insisted on a new tube.

Maybe things have changed (like everything else).

Comment

• J89k
        J89k commented
        Editing a comment
        How long does it take you to do a tire swap?

• Spydr
        Spydr commented
        Editing a comment
        A helluva lot longer than it takes a tire dude with a bead breaker and mounting machine.

I was running Darkside and the shops are Skeered to mount anything but a MC tire. So, PissOnEm, I did it myself!

• paintertom954
        paintertom954 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Biker shop in Margate on Copans Rd. if you live in Broward is a good place.
        954) 969-3603
        2044 NW 55th Ave
        Margate, FL 33063

Not sure if your crash bars are just scratched or also bent, but I've seen crashbars wrapped in tape that actually look pretty nice. Not sure exactly what kind of tape it was, but it looked great.

Comment

• spideydesigns
        spideydesigns commented
        Editing a comment
        The are just scratched and not bent. To get running, I just need new handlebars and a new front break lever. The rest is cosmetic.

• daveto
        daveto commented
        Editing a comment
        When I dropped my bike it broke my front brake lever. I ordered a new set and replaced the pair. I keep the old clutch lever in my saddle bag incase I ever were to fall to the other side. Maybe it will save me a tow.

Spydr

I have a 1999 Road Star Silverado. 16 Inch Stock Rims with spokes. I bought new inner tubes and assumed he put them in, but I was not there when he did.

Comment

• Spydr
        Spydr commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha!
        Part of why I learned to work on my own bike is due to Serious trust issues. (Not going to rant)
        I've put nearly 90K on my Roadie and the only mechanic it's ever known is Me.

• spideydesigns
        spideydesigns commented
        Editing a comment
        My brother is a mechanic so all the work that is done to our vehicles is done by us with exception to tires and alignments.

I have a set of stock bars davej gave me when I wrecked mine a couple of years ago. PM me your info and I'll send them your way if you want them.

Comment

A co worker’s wife had new tires put on and the tube was folded over about an inch on itself and rubbed to the point that it blew. She crashed on the highway doing 110km/h and was badly injured.

Comment

• LeLimoMan
          LeLimoMan commented
          Editing a comment
          That doesn’t just suck, but borders on negligence and someone needs to be held responsible for it. Ggrrr!

• Spydr
          Spydr commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree!

• spideydesigns
          spideydesigns commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that sucks. I was Going 50-60 when I dumped the bike. I learned to "crash well" from my dirt biking experience so I avoided getting mangled. My buddy blames the mechanic who put the tires on, but before I go yelling at him, I want to investigate and see if I hit a road hazard.

Because of incidents just like the above, I too would be interested in what alloy wheels might swap out the spoke rims on my 02 RS? Love the wire wheel look, but can’t afford the risk of an accident. Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

• Spydr
          Spydr commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, spokes Look great. Cleaning & Maintaining them is a Bitch!

Since hearing this story late in the spring, I have never thought the same about tires and tubes. If ever I think they should be changed, I do just that....

Comment

HOLD ON THERE, how can you ass ume the mechanic put a tube in a bike incorrectly?? real bike pros do this all day long and they do it right. It is not rocket science. the owner is told ride carefully for at least 100 miles to due cosmolene/sticky shit on the tires that has to wear off, and you should check air pressure, regularly, especially after a change. Sure they may have F'ed up, but the onus is on the rider to check your own bikes everything, for self protection, just as its on us to keep the other assholes from mowing us down on the road. if you are a big guy, you can do a cursory check of tire pressure by putting all your weight on the rim and pushing to check for low pressure, these tires are stiff so it take a lot of mass. its is a learned skill us old fockers learned. i always check pressure when i bring the wwheel home from the shop, as pressure is different for each scooter, and each rider, and if they ride 2 up,
          tires with tubes have been around for a long time...

Comment

• spideydesigns
            spideydesigns commented
            Editing a comment
            It had pressure. It was 40 miles of riding before I had the problem. I didn't assume he messed up; my friend did. I figured it was a road hazard, but until I forensically inspect the tire, I won't know for sure. The hurricane made me pack the bike in the garage so I haven't done that yet. I'm getting mag wheels anyway.

I sent the bars out today.

Comment

• spideydesigns
            spideydesigns commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude! You rock brother! Thanks a bunch.

• davej
            davej commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL those bars are making it all around the country

Hope you get that s*** together by biketoberfest I'm not a big fan of spoke wheels here in Florida either. I'll take aluminum oxide over iron oxide any day. Here's another secret a little spit or soap on the valve stem and drink a beer or two see if it bubbles up put some around where the valve stem goes through the rim

Comment

• spideydesigns
            spideydesigns commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks brother. I'll do that. I bought some mag wheels from an XV1700 and am having them chromed. It will take 30-45 days to get them in hand, but I just might make Biketoberfest with them.

Glad I could help. Like i said earlier Davej sent them to me when I wrecked mine a couple of years ago so I'm just paying it forward

Comment

• spideydesigns
            spideydesigns commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that's pretty cool of both of you guys. I can't wait to get my bike running and pretty again. My knee is almost healed up too. LOL

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Leiurus, 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM
        17 responses
        1 like
        Last Post GreasySam  
        Started by Smalls, 18 hours ago
        15 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Smalls
        by Smalls