Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    When I aquire the means to not give a shit, sure I'll do just that.
    Means I also won't be wasting my time on a forum trying to figure out how to maintain my own bike.

• Chromepony
    commented on 's reply
    Indeed, it is.
    You should try it sometime.

• J89k
    commented on 's reply
    Put fresh plugs in about 10 months ago. Haven't looked at them in probably 6

• brianmac
    replied
    alot has to do with riding style , some people engine brake, not sure why they would, brake pads are cheaper, ,there is an optimum RPM for economy, not sure what it is on a RS. according to your choking, your low RPM set up is spot on. mid range and top end or riding style could be your issue. SAY, whens the last time you changed or checked your plugs?
    WHAT DOES A TERMINATOR SAY JUST BEFORE HE STEALS YOUR BIKE?

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    If you putt along on long back roads at 55 or less, with no stopping and going, you'll probably get that 'mythical' mileage too.

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    Must be Nice to not care.

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    You are getting what the factory estimate says you will get

• Brad_G
    replied
    I'm in awe of the mileage you guys with carb'd bikes get. I've got an '08 FI and riding back and forth to work with a combo of city, rural/highway I get 32-35 pretty consistently. A long ride out on the rode I have seen 40-41 if all goes well.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    Your jetting configuration is closer to the jetting of a 1600. But as long as it runs good and you are satified with the performance you have that is all that matters.

• Lug Nut
    replied
    Gas mileage is a good indication that bike is running properly or not.

Leave a comment:

• Chromepony
    replied
    I've never checked then MPG's on my '00 R/S. I don't think that gas mileage was ever a selling point for the R/S.(I could be wrong; I've been wrong before)
    I ride it 'till it needs gas, then I put some more in it.

Leave a comment:

• fastjohnny
    commented on 's reply
    Does it look like the one you are taking out? The baffle in my 2 into 1 Power Pro Pipe is way different than that one. I can't find a link on line to share with you. PM me if you want and I'll send you a photo of mine via sms text.

• J89k
    replied
    Is the baffle I linked to in my original post the correct replacement?

Leave a comment:

• fastjohnny
    replied
    davej
    My jetting is how I did it several years ago (2007). I went by suggestions from the old guys on here. I tried different size main jets and different combinations of clip/washer/spacer placement when I was tuning the beast and found thru the WOT test it ran and performed best with what I have now.
    I've been running this way for over 80,000 miles with no indication of "lean-ness". I do have to choke it to start when it's cold, but that's a good thing IMHO. I've ridden all over the country like this and have never experienced any symptoms of starving for fuel or overheating even in triple digit temps.
    I do appreciate you comment about running lean.
    Personally I don't think there is a magic number for jetting, clip placement, washer placement, etc., but there again, merely my humble opinion. Of course, however, there are guidelines.
    Each one of our machines is different, and it's pretty much up to each individual to figure out what works best for them.
    I am satisfied with my tuning and jetting and don't plan on changing it. Yolanda runs like a stripe assed ape, gets good mileage, and doesn't overheat in ANY situation.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, me too..........That damned accelerator pump!............

• NCB
    replied
    I get 40 riding two up on country roads speed around 50-60. 07 1700

Leave a comment:

• J89k
    commented on 's reply
    I have the maxair chrome choke. If the engine is cold I absolutely need the choke to start. I pull it out all the way for about 30 seconds to a minute, usually another minute or two with it pushed all the way in.

If the bike has been ridden an hour or two earlier I do not need choke to start up.

When I bought the bike the old choke was in bad shape. Replaced with the chrome model from maxair because it was only about 20 dollars more expensive than oem and looks much nicer. You can also replace individual components of the maxair choke, which I like.

• J89k
    commented on 's reply
    Is the replacement baffle I linked to the correct one? None of the baffles I've found look exactly like the one that fell out. Mine was shorter and had no fiberglass wrapping. The old one cracked. Likely from 15 years of vibration.

You are correct that I do not hit 5th gear all that often. And I do apparently ride the shit out of it because I regularly hit the rev limiter.

I will give go ahead and give the carb a good cleaning. It's been probably about 9 months since I've done so.

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    First thing is that a CV carb is not elevation sensitive so elevation don't mean anything using a stock carb. His jetting is spot on. Yours is lean.

• fastjohnny
    replied
    With most of your riding being in town I doubt you ever would get into 5th gear. When you are lucky enough to get the hell out of Dodge (or Tucson as it were), do you ride the shit out of it and hit the rev limiter once in a while? These bikes love that!
    I'm not totally certain, but I think you're running a bit rich. I live in Iowa where the elevation is 700'. Mine is a 2005. I run a 40MM Mikuni carb with a Mikuni 167.5 main jet with the clip on the third groove and the plastic spacer and both steel washers under it (essentially 3 1/2), stock pilot jet, Barons PMS screw turned out 2 1/2 from lightly seated. V&H 2 into 1 Power Pro Pipe, K&N c1980 filter. I pretty constantly get 41 - 45 MPG running on mostly freeway with a good amount of back county roads....2 up 80% of the time.
    Since your elevation is >3X what mine is I am not certain where to advise you to begin with the jetting, but I would assume that higher elevation = less air meaning you would need less gas. I'm sure someone will read this and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Definitely take her apart and check for air/vacuum leaks, shit in the carb, etc.
    Getting that baffle back in the pipe would no doubt make a difference since without it you have very little if any back pressure.
    Personally I would mess with the jetting as well.
    Keep in mind that all this is merely My Humble Opinion.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by twowheeltherapy, 1 week ago
38 responses
4 likes
Last Post Kevstephenson7  
Started by Ahodge75, 18 hours ago
7 responses
0 likes
Last Post Shores