Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage

I'm curious about what you guys are getting for in town gas mileage.

My bike is my only mode of transportation so I use it ALL the time. I'd say about 80% of my riding is in town. I live in Tucson. There's a fair bit of traffic and LOTS of stop lights. There is no east-west highway in Tucson so getting from one side of town to the other involves a tremendous number of stop lights.

I have a Mikuni 40 carb that is jetted with a 40 mikuni pilot and a 172.5 mikuni main.

I'm running Vance and Hines 2 into 1 4.5 inch big shot. The original baffle recently failed and came off. (Side note: if I were to replace it, is this what I'd get? https://www.jpcycles.com/product/901...acement-baffle )

I run 87 octane fuel with 4 oz of seafoam every other tank.

I have a KN RB-0700 universal air filter. Recently cleaned.

I would say I'm typically 10mph over the speed limit (45-50 mph)

I'm getting about 30mpg. Does this sound right?

Assuming 1700 with your jetting? Sounds low. I get 43.5 ridong normal combination in town and highway.

check wheelbearings and brakes make sure nothing is hanging up or inhibiting smooth friction free operation...

You getting popping on decel? Maybe vacuum leak somewhere (manifold cracks, line, exhaust studs loose)

use gps on phone to verify actual miles covered (speedo/odometer are off) and try calculating it that way (actual mileage will be lower by about 5% given the odometer being off)

how is your bike outfitted? Stripped down solo rider or heavy 2 up cruiser with fairing/speakers/crashbar/trunk/saddlebags etc?

Comment

• J89k
      J89k commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes a 1700

I get a fair amount of popping when I engine brake. Not if I just let off the throttle. I also get a solid backfire about once a month.

One of my exhaust studs sheared off a while back. Not sure how. I had to drill it out, retap the threads, and insert a new post. Might be the source of the leak?

I rarely ride 2 up. No fairing, no speaker, no crashbar, no trunk. I do have saddle bags.

Yes. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I also do mostly around town riding... you are low. I typically get about 44 mpg. I would dip into the mid-30's when engaging in high-speed interstate riding at 75-85 mph. Your's is not working right.

Comment

If you are having a bit of throttle fun in town riding you are doing OK. IMO. I have had as low as 25mpg having a fun spirited ride.

Comment

25-28 MPG is about all I’m going to get in town.

I know I can do better with the throttle management, but that takes all the fun out of it.

Comment

• Flashback
            Flashback commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, me too..........That damned accelerator pump!............

Did anybody ask how easy does it start does it need choke . How much choke. Do u need to turn the choke off rather quickly or its ruff.

Comment

• fastjohnny
            fastjohnny commented
            Editing a comment
            Good thought. Another question would be has he done the choke knob mod.....take a razor knife and trim 1/8" from the bottom of it to make sure the choke is seating all the way.

• J89k
            J89k commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the maxair chrome choke. If the engine is cold I absolutely need the choke to start. I pull it out all the way for about 30 seconds to a minute, usually another minute or two with it pushed all the way in.

If the bike has been ridden an hour or two earlier I do not need choke to start up.

When I bought the bike the old choke was in bad shape. Replaced with the chrome model from maxair because it was only about 20 dollars more expensive than oem and looks much nicer. You can also replace individual components of the maxair choke, which I like.

With most of your riding being in town I doubt you ever would get into 5th gear. When you are lucky enough to get the hell out of Dodge (or Tucson as it were), do you ride the shit out of it and hit the rev limiter once in a while? These bikes love that!
          I'm not totally certain, but I think you're running a bit rich. I live in Iowa where the elevation is 700'. Mine is a 2005. I run a 40MM Mikuni carb with a Mikuni 167.5 main jet with the clip on the third groove and the plastic spacer and both steel washers under it (essentially 3 1/2), stock pilot jet, Barons PMS screw turned out 2 1/2 from lightly seated. V&H 2 into 1 Power Pro Pipe, K&N c1980 filter. I pretty constantly get 41 - 45 MPG running on mostly freeway with a good amount of back county roads....2 up 80% of the time.
          Since your elevation is >3X what mine is I am not certain where to advise you to begin with the jetting, but I would assume that higher elevation = less air meaning you would need less gas. I'm sure someone will read this and correct me if I'm wrong.
          Definitely take her apart and check for air/vacuum leaks, shit in the carb, etc.
          Getting that baffle back in the pipe would no doubt make a difference since without it you have very little if any back pressure.
          Personally I would mess with the jetting as well.
          Keep in mind that all this is merely My Humble Opinion.

Comment

• davej
            davej commented
            Editing a comment
            First thing is that a CV carb is not elevation sensitive so elevation don't mean anything using a stock carb. His jetting is spot on. Yours is lean.

• J89k
            J89k commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the replacement baffle I linked to the correct one? None of the baffles I've found look exactly like the one that fell out. Mine was shorter and had no fiberglass wrapping. The old one cracked. Likely from 15 years of vibration.

You are correct that I do not hit 5th gear all that often. And I do apparently ride the shit out of it because I regularly hit the rev limiter.

I will give go ahead and give the carb a good cleaning. It's been probably about 9 months since I've done so.

I get 40 riding two up on country roads speed around 50-60. 07 1700

Comment

davej
            My jetting is how I did it several years ago (2007). I went by suggestions from the old guys on here. I tried different size main jets and different combinations of clip/washer/spacer placement when I was tuning the beast and found thru the WOT test it ran and performed best with what I have now.
            I've been running this way for over 80,000 miles with no indication of "lean-ness". I do have to choke it to start when it's cold, but that's a good thing IMHO. I've ridden all over the country like this and have never experienced any symptoms of starving for fuel or overheating even in triple digit temps.
            I do appreciate you comment about running lean.
            Personally I don't think there is a magic number for jetting, clip placement, washer placement, etc., but there again, merely my humble opinion. Of course, however, there are guidelines.
            Each one of our machines is different, and it's pretty much up to each individual to figure out what works best for them.
            I am satisfied with my tuning and jetting and don't plan on changing it. Yolanda runs like a stripe assed ape, gets good mileage, and doesn't overheat in ANY situation.
            Maybe I'm just lucky.

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              Your jetting configuration is closer to the jetting of a 1600. But as long as it runs good and you are satified with the performance you have that is all that matters.

Is the baffle I linked to in my original post the correct replacement?

Comment

• fastjohnny
              fastjohnny commented
              Editing a comment
              Does it look like the one you are taking out? The baffle in my 2 into 1 Power Pro Pipe is way different than that one. I can't find a link on line to share with you. PM me if you want and I'll send you a photo of mine via sms text.

I've never checked then MPG's on my '00 R/S. I don't think that gas mileage was ever a selling point for the R/S.(I could be wrong; I've been wrong before)
            I ride it 'till it needs gas, then I put some more in it.
            I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

• Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Must be Nice to not care.

Gas mileage is a good indication that bike is running properly or not.

Comment

I'm in awe of the mileage you guys with carb'd bikes get. I've got an '08 FI and riding back and forth to work with a combo of city, rural/highway I get 32-35 pretty consistently. A long ride out on the rode I have seen 40-41 if all goes well.

Comment

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                You are getting what the factory estimate says you will get

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                If you putt along on long back roads at 55 or less, with no stopping and going, you'll probably get that 'mythical' mileage too.

alot has to do with riding style , some people engine brake, not sure why they would, brake pads are cheaper, ,there is an optimum RPM for economy, not sure what it is on a RS. according to your choking, your low RPM set up is spot on. mid range and top end or riding style could be your issue. SAY, whens the last time you changed or checked your plugs?
              WHAT DOES A TERMINATOR SAY JUST BEFORE HE STEALS YOUR BIKE?

Comment

• J89k
                J89k commented
                Editing a comment
                Put fresh plugs in about 10 months ago. Haven't looked at them in probably 6

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Lucky, 16 hours ago
            11 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Lucky
            by Lucky

Started by BubbaKahuna, 1 week ago
            20 responses
            2 likes
            Last Post midnitmike