Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsehammerr
    commented on 's reply
    Only time I ever shut mine off , is to remove the tank. I'm pumpless , inline filterless , chopped pitcock , grizzley valve .

• Lucky
    commented on 's reply
    I think if you turn up your idle a little that starting problem will go away.

You always turn down the idle after it is warm.

• Herrindude
    replied
    AT the end of every ride i shut off the valve and let her idle until engine dies, doesn't take but a few minutes and i shut it off right before i get home, no more gas smell and puke.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Simmons
    commented on 's reply
    The pump on my 04 failed at 85K. And, it was intermittent. So there was added enjoyment. :-) Pumpless has been a cakewalk. Went straight to the Grizzly 3.0 needle valve, left the filter inline, pulled the screen on the carb, set the level on the bench and haven't touched it since. I did have to vent the cap, but did that after the first trip around the block where fuel lock already showed up.

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    That's good information Dave. Thanks.

• Jim Simmons
    replied
    Mine did that after going pumpless. Took the two little rubber plugs out of the gas cap mechanism and problem dissappeared. RSC to the rescue. Yes, I own my house. Which is why I kicked the Roadie out to it's own heated bike shield tent under the trees. Separate bedroom = good marriage. :-) Nothing's gone poof so far. But it's only been a couple years, so fingers crossed. And no, I never move the petcock from the reserve position. I'm just that lazy.

Leave a comment:

• TheBru
    replied
    Pumpless was the only cure for puking on my bike. Back then we were all using Suzuki jets. Then some one discovered Grizzly jets were bigger and better. I vented my cap, in line filter...… Ran great for years. Yeh, if I wanted to I could run the bowl dry but it would recover in about 2 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Ratl
    commented on 's reply
    Spydr, you’re so correct.

• brianmac
    replied
    Real bikers are always playing with their cocks

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    Ya can't change people's minds, Ratl.
    Whether pumpless or darkside or dyna beads, even Handlebars! I gave up trying long ago.

• Ratl
    replied
    My pump died on the road at about 18,000 miles in the middle of a ride. It took me quite a while to figure out that my pump had failed on the side of the road, because I too had the misconception that the pump was a necessary and reliable part. That, and the fact that the failure was intermittent!

I had my wife bring me a length of line and bypassed it on the side of the road to get me home. I did some research here at the RSC and found a bunch of others had experienced the same issue. They came up with the solution I have been using for about 9 years now.

You can talk about how it as designed to have it all you want, but that doesn’t make it needed, just a poorly researched engineering decision. As evidence, I have never again had carb puke as I did on a regular basis before going pumpless. There wouldn’t be so many ‘solutions’ to carb puke if the pump wasn’t there.

It took me a little research and a few adjustments, but once it was right, there’s been no further issues. My costs were one time and way lower.

BTW, if you don’t want to vent the cap, you just need to remove the rollover valve in the tank vent tube as an alternative.

Just my experience.

Ratl.

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    Haa! Haa! Haa! Haa! Smh...

• Dick M
    replied
    Did the OP's pump die or is this problem caused because he was trying to prevent a problem that hadn't happened yet? I run the pump and the bike runs fine 35k on the clock never a problem. Sorry but i'm not following the crowd of pumpless owners because the pump could fail. I'm more worried about getting stranded because of a flat tire. If it isn't broke i don't fix it

Leave a comment:

• Trex Star
    replied
    Yes, both OEM, first one at 5K miles on a garages bike; figured it was a fluke. I never wanted to go pumpless, but after the 2nd one died I went for it. No electrical issues - only "mod" with an electrical connection at the time was a dyna 3000, so I dont believe it was self induced.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    commented on 's reply
    stock needle is too small for gravity feed. the bowl can't fill fast enough under hard acceleration and the engine starves..........

• brianmac
    replied
    trex star, are you saying you had 2 road star fuel pump failures? same bike, how many miles? both OEM pumps??? thats crazy! i drive mine daily all year long , decades,barely drive on 4 wheels. i know they had bad batches of brush plates in the starters. lets get some to chime in if they had failures with pump. did you have any electrical issues with that bike? i do carry the spare pump in the toy hauler to events

Leave a comment:

• Trex Star
    replied
    I don't know if its luck of the draw, driving habits/locations, or even if there is specific SN range, but after my SECOND fuel pump went out, I went pumpless.

What symptoms made you guys switch to the Grizzley float needle?

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    I used A1 marine grade hose from west marine.......It has Fire retardant shielding...

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    I prefer the Tygon fuel line. It’s a little pricey, but it flexible and premium line. You can find the line on eBay and usually runs around $7.00+ a foot.

Leave a comment:

• Horsehammerr
    commented on 's reply
    Whats the best fuel line to use ?

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by roadiemort, 1 day ago
27 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort  
Started by Father Pobasturd, 1 day ago