Suzuki Savage 650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Savage 650?

Just about to pull the trigger on a Savage 650, 2002 I believe, 5 speed, under 3K miles, the last 3 owners bought it to train their wives on but obviously sat a lot. current owner rebuilt the carb, put a new battery in it and trained his wife. I rode it and it was actually fun. so easy to throw around. Gave the campus security people a run around campus on my test ride, which was a hoot! An yone have any feedback on it? My son has expressed interest, and even wifey is considering it. There is a decnt user community forum and lots of info. Downsides are some rusty spots on the wheels and a ding in the tank. Title is clean, tires look new, but are 10 years old.

Comments and feedback are appreciated
    2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Every one I have seen has an extremely blued header. DK if that’s normal, running lean, etc. A 650 V-Star has more leg room doesn’t it? The Vulcan 500 or 800 is a nice starter bike.

Comment

They seem to run hot, yes. It's $800 though...
      2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
        They seem to run hot, yes. It's $800 though...
        I see a lot that are fried. I think folks are pretty hard on them.

Comment

yeah cam chain tensioners seem to be the culprit a lot of times. I figure it will work for a teaching bike and move on to a Vstar or something similar. I won't care if this one gets dropped or whatnot.

Comment

Taught my wife street bike on an '87 Savage, only 4 speeds back then but that's all it really needed, very torquey. Super user friendly, low seat height, great on gas. Now for the bad stuff. IDK if they are all this way but ours had an appetite for fouling the spark plug. I don't remember how many miles it had on it, but I do remember it was all stock. A slight PITA to change the plug, but we had it down to 20 minutes on the side of the road. At least there's only one plug to change, right? Also, you can't push start it, we tried once when the battery was low, just locks up the rear wheel, even in 4th gear. If it runs out of gas while riding it will lock up the rear wheel too. It'll give you some warning that it's about to run out, it'll cut out a few times, when it does you just switch to reserve and go find a gas station. Never had any major issues with it, stout clutch, decent brakes. It'll run 75-80 mph down the high way all day long. Yea, it's kind of screaming but it'll do it with no complaints. There was a period of about 18 months where we didn't have any cars or trucks, just the Savage and my rat BMW R-90/6. We each had a set of cheap saddle bags and we would go shopping, run errands, hell we did everything off those bikes. This is back before my wife was a nurse; we were dirt poor, just scraping by and feeding a few nasty addictions as well. Every time I see a Savage it takes me back to those times, we may have been poor but we lived a lot more than we do now. That may not make any sense, but you had to be there.

Comment

First street bike I owned was a 1997 Savage, bought it new for around $5000CAD it honestly was a great bike. Like someone else mentioned above, that 650 single has a lot of torque and was loads of fun in the city and back roads.

That’s the bike that took me from the dirt and taught me how to ride on the street and I’ll always have a soft spot for them!

They're cheap and actually pretty nice looking bike. Put about 6000km on mine before I got rid of it and never needed anything but oil changes to keep it running great.

Comment

Padre or FP, did they run hot? ie: can't touch the cases hot? when I looked inside th oil filler even the plastic was burning hot. it had oil in it so that was not the problem.

Comment

• Padre
                  Padre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never had any heat issues on mine

This was in the desert...everything runs hot. But it always ran until it fouled a plug. But Padre didn't mention any fouling problems with his. So I take it you pulled the trigger on it?

Comment

• Padre
                  Padre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never had a fouled plug on mine, but different climate here in southern Ontario, Canada.

I decided to pass on it, I'll look more this winter for a bit larger bike that is not as cramped

Comment

Hard to beat a 650 V-Star. Cheaper alternatives are the Honda FT or VT 500 Ascot, a 450 Rebel, Kawasaki 440 or 454, Vulcan 500. Honda CM 200 Twinstar, Suzuki Madura 600. All good beginner bikes.

Comment

Yeah the V* 650 is one I have been looking for as well. There are 2 of them on CL near me that look good but both say they won't go into gear. Wonder if there is some transmission issues with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
                      Yeah the V* 650 is one I have been looking for as well. There are 2 of them on CL near me that look good but both say they won't go into gear. Wonder if there is some transmission issues with them?
                      Often won’t go in gear if engine is not running. Confirm it won’t when running. May be stuck clutch plates also.

Comment

• Jaybo
                        Jaybo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Headed to Idaho tomorrow or I would go take a look at them. if they are still there when I get back I may go take a look.

they call that the thumper , one big ass piston, glad u rann the opposite direction . lees pistons are cheaper. the samll cbr line has a single, like the 250, as soon as they go up to a twin, it smoothens out is a world of difference. BTW, i have a yamaha XV250 which is weaker, but a hoot also, and smooth as glass. i had to change the sprockets and chain because they are set up to go 40 in 5th gear , standard practice for these.

Comment

FP points out 2 bikes I had as transportation in college, the Honda FT and the Savage. I put 40K on the Savage and it never let me down. Changed battery once never had it on a trickle charger and rear tire once. Had that one for 3 years and took it to LA when I graduated. Road 2 up with the first wife all over the SoCal area and road it to work 5 days a week. At 6'2" and 200 lbs it is small. Good bike for my broke ass at the time. The Honda was good enough but I hated it. The FT was a side by side configuration and got you there but sounded like a leaf blower. After I got it I wished I had gotten the VT instead. More torque and sounded more like the Ascot racers they were emulating. The Ascot lasted 1 year and sold it to a shop that sold it to a guy at the local base in town. It seized 1 day later and they gave him his money back.
                        Go ahead, I dare ya.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
                          they call that the thumper , one big ass piston, glad u rann the opposite direction . lees pistons are cheaper. the samll cbr line has a single, like the 250, as soon as they go up to a twin, it smoothens out is a world of difference. BTW, i have a yamaha XV250 which is weaker, but a hoot also, and smooth as glass. i had to change the sprockets and chain because they are set up to go 40 in 5th gear , standard practice for these.
                          They are a hoot. I had the ‘89 XV250, Route 66 version. You’re right about the sprocket change. The 17-38T change made a world of difference. Rode that thing everywhere getting 90 MPG. Gave it to my brother when I got the RS back in 2013. Still running, too.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Lucky, 16 hours ago
                          11 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Lucky
                          by Lucky

Started by BubbaKahuna, 1 week ago
                          20 responses
                          2 likes