Sputtering in 5th gear..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputtering in 5th gear..??

My bike is a 2005 RS 1700 Silverado with about 17k miles .... Whenever I ride and switch my gears, everything seems to be fine. However, while in 5th gear trying to increase speed, It seems to start sputtering? Normally one I'm doing 60 miles per hour, I slowly throttle to gain more speed, but the bike starts to sputter as if it doesn't want to go faster. It seem difficult getting it to smoothly reach 70+ mph....Any ideas what's causing this? Anything I should do?

Have you tried accelerating to 70 in 4th & Then shift?
    Our bikes don't like to be lugged.

Comment

• Kenkaman
      Kenkaman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm pretty sure I have at some point in the past, but I'll try again to see if there's any difference in it and I'll post a result. Thanks!

What is your bike’s setup? Stock? Fuel pump?

Comment

• Kenkaman
      Kenkaman commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought the bike used back in April, so I don't know the history of it. However, everything appears to be stock except for the exhaust pipes. I 'personally' don't know what kind they are, but I've had a few people tell me they're Roadhouse Duallys...Other than that, I think it's all stock.

Sounds like you may be in too high a gear...try same thing in 4th. What mods are done to the bike? Pipes, jetted carb, air intake system? Fuel pump still on? Replaced fuel filter lately?

Comment

• Kenkaman
      Kenkaman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lug Nut...I think the bike is all stock and don't think any mods have been done to it. Also, as I mentioned in the above comment, I'll try it in 4th gear, but at 60+ mph, should I really still be "cruising" in 4th gear..? Just asking because I'm new to Yamaha Motorcycles...Tks!!

Put some new plugs in it.

Comment

• fastjohnny
      fastjohnny commented
      Editing a comment
      IMHO he shouldn't really "need" new plugs with so many few miles on the bike, but if it has ever or is suffering from SVS his plugs could indeed be fouled due to running too rich....common problem with the '04 and '05. I have an '05 and experienced SVS. The guy I bought it from (with 1100 miles) had the stealer remove the AIS, installed 3" HK pipes, a Barons big air kit, and was re-jetted according to instructions with the BAK. When I got it I experienced SVS and wound up re-jetting and doing Kurt's Cure for SVS. I haven't had the problem since and just turned over 83,000 miles while headed to the Eureka Springs M&G.
      Might be a good time to re-jet with a barons kit.

You can cruise at 60 in fifth, but it won’t accelerate very well. Try shifting into fifth at 70. Have you put Seafoam in the fuel lately to clean the fuel system? Dirty air intake filter? Has it set for many months without riding? Old ethanol fuel turned to gel? Rust and debre in the tank?

Comment

• Kenkaman
      Kenkaman commented
      Editing a comment
      Shores....the gas is good, as I've already put about 2000 miles on it since April and I've used SeaFoam in it several times since them. If I'm not mistaken, I probably have some in the tank now...

If your doing 60, then twisting the throttle gradually and shudders in a spot of rpm, then I'm thinking that you might want to check your needle setting. It sounds like a lean condition to me. Next time you try it out, try pulling your choke out halfway to see if it changes the conditions. If it helps then you need to richen the mix by raising the needle, or a larger jet.
    Where is your PMS set at?

Comment

I can not understand this Lugging Problem. My '01 will "ROLL ON " from 45 mph in 5th gear and not miss a beat. I'm jetted with 170 main , 37.5 pilot , 4th groove w/washer and spacer under the clip. BK breather , PMS about 2.5 out and BUB jug huggers. Getting between 38 -48 MPG.

Comment

• Horsehammerr
        Horsehammerr commented
        Editing a comment
        Basic Pumpless

If he just bought this bike he needs to go through it air cleaner spark plugs drain the float bowl at the bare minimum on a carburetor could be he has a vacuum leak mud daubers in the air cleaner

Comment

Any update on your bike? I'm curious to see if you have it figured out yet

Comment

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          He was on a week ago, I guess he feels stupid for being in the wrong gear, why else would you abandon your thread.

• Kenkaman
          Kenkaman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, sir...I did. See my post below...Thanks!!

Good day, everyone....Sorry it's been a while, but I've been off the grid...An old condition of mine came back and I was ill for quite a while, which pretty much sidelined me for some time. Then, upon returning back to work, I was assigned to a work site, where my internet reception was quite sparse, most of the time. I'm happy to report that I've taken much of the advice noted above, most notably the comments from Spydr, Lugnut, and Shores, as their advice was mainly about my gears...Although the bike cruises very well in 5th gear while going 60 mph, I've learned by your comments, that my bike cruises quite well at higher speeds while in 4th gear, whereas I thought that would be too high. So, on the few times I am able to get on my bike since my original post, I'll cruise the interstate at 65-70 mph in 4th gear...and if I need to cruise faster, switch to 5th gear. Remember, I've only been riding a short while, so some of this stuff is new to me. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE, PATIENCE, AND KINDNESS...

Comment

• Spydr
          Spydr commented
          Editing a comment
          Think of it This way, Ken... Our Ponies may not be fast, but they Love to Run!

60 mph in fifth isn’t lugging in my book. Not a motor swinging a 4 1/2” stroke. I don’t know who started that crap. Under square engines are designed to pull down low. 2,500 RPM is right in heart of the power band for this engine.

Mine will pull hard from 50 mph, on up, in high gear.

I’d still put some new plugs in it.

Comment

• Flashback
          Flashback commented
          Editing a comment
          same here, my bike won't take off like a jack rabbit at 50 in 5th but it pulls hard and steady and certainly doesn't sputter...you need a tune up........

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by NCB, 2 days ago
      21 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Questcap  
      Started by davej, 3 days ago
      8 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post ItBeMe
      by ItBeMe