Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

So, I rode the Eluder and the Venture this weekend... 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I rode the Eluder and the Venture this weekend... 

and I liked it! Very smooth, lots of power the Eluder was great, but the Venture was basically the same. Didn't notice the weight but the fixed fairing (on both) was weird to me. Needed taller bars and open the exhaust a bit but the 6 speed and the smooth power (rev limiter came on quick in first and second) was very nice. Smooth is the word that keeps coming back, effortless, easy, etc. I get the attraction but it was just so smooth it was kind of sterile riding. I think with taller bars and an exhaust with some better notes would be a huge help. Overall pretty impressed, will for sure keep them in mind but the Indian I rode a couple years ago felt better for some reason...

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

I felt the same. Nice, smooth, fast, easy to handle, but no soul.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of the eluded with aftermarket bars?

Comment

• Jaybo
        Jaybo commented
        Editing a comment
        talking to the Ymaha guy, you could actually rotate the bars taller by quite a bit. I offered up to do that, but he declined.. LOL

Originally posted by gillis.jordan View Post
      Does anyone have a pic of the eluded with aftermarket bars?
      I have a pic somewhere, but the exact location eludes me!

Comment

Yeah I agree to all the comments. Smooth engine and comfy all day long ride. Great bike overall!

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
          but no soul.
          People keep saying that about smooth running bikes.
          So does that mean, if it doesn't rattle your guts, it has no soul?
          WTF??? When did smooth become a Bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Spydr View Post

No, not at all, but it just felt generic. Exhaust was so muted, bars were low, rev limiter kicked in so quickly, etc. Smooth is great, but it lacked the feel of riding a big twin, because it was so muted. Do you get what I'm saying?

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

• Doc_V
              Doc_V commented
              Editing a comment
              FWIW, I've heard others mention the vibrations, but I personally haven't had a issue with it; not like the with the Harley's I've ridden. Could be my beach bars, but I've also had an issue on two different occasions, where the bike felt like it was vibrating more than normal, and it got worse with the RPMs. I thought I'd thrown a rod bearing... Long story short, one of my plugs was gapped different, I regapped it and the bike was smooth again. With twin plugs, you have two flame fronts, and if the gap is different, you have slight difference in the timing of the ignition, so the two flame fronts fight each other causing the vibration... May or may not be your situation, but someone else in need may stumble on this. As always YMMV.

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I don't have that sensation from the vibration ether, I can tell it vibrates, but it's not annoying to me.

• 2time
              2time commented
              Editing a comment
              I got the vibration to work for me. After some health problems a few years ago I started wearing a fitbit. I’m supposed to walk 10,000 steps a day. There are 2 wats I can do that. I can either walk 10,000 steps or go for a ride for 15 or 20 minutes.

Smooth is great when I'm trying to concentrate on my braking and turn in points at triple digits. A little rumble connected to the right hand and some throaty noise go a long way when I'm peeling back the miles and miles of straight highway/freeway. If I wanted sewing machine smooth I'd get a sewing machine.

Comment

• Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess your RoadStar don't sound like a sewing machine like the rest of ours, eh?

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post

Smooth is great, but it lacked the feel of riding a big twin, because it was so muted. Do you get what I'm saying?
            I definitely do. I keep thinking about a Goldwing. The comfort and smooth power is attractive, but feeling and hearing the Road Star motor making things happen is half the enjoyment of riding, I think.

Comment

That's an interesting perspective, (no soul) as on the Star Bike Forums a couple new Venture owners thrive over it's soul. But then they're coming from the old Venture V4 so they're coming from what may be a smoother setup to a v-twin. But there is a connection between us an our bikes, either you get it or you don't. Not everyone is the same.

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                After 10years on a RoadStar I guess I "Dont get it".
                Hmmm... I seem to remember HD *lovers* dismissing others with that phrase.

Set of pipes on that 1900 would change things dramatically

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                They would make it loud... But it would still be smooth, wouldn't it?

• gillis.jordan
                gillis.jordan commented
                Editing a comment
                As smooth as a vtwin with paint can size pistons vibrating under your balls

Originally posted by gillis.jordan View Post
              Set of pipes on that 1900 would change things dramatically
              Yeah I think you are correct. We all like to make our bike our own and barely being able to hear it is part of that. If you have the stereo on, you really DON'T hear it. That's just weird!

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope! Guess you'll have to revoke my membership.
                I LIKE music. Especially when I ride 12hrs a day on the highway.

When I ride my bike is an extension of me; like a prosthetic. Hearing and *feeling* the bike and the motor's response is how I "feel" my way through corners. I never think about throttle position, counter steering or trail braking, etc. I just do it. Like a bird flies between the branches of a tree. They don't worry about weather or not they're approaching a branch to fast, they just do it. It's both visceral and primal. I personally feel like a more "powerful animal" when I twist the throttle of my R* and both feel and hear that motor's power. It's more satisfying in that way for me. Some call it "soul". For some not having that input can be like playing a piano with gloves on. That sense is deadened.

I've owned butter smooth inline fours and there's certainly nothing wrong with them. It's just a different feeling you get used to and become in tune with, but going right from one to the other it's very noticeable, and which ever is the one you're not used to is gong to feel awkward. When I had my YZF600R I came *this* close to getting a Suzuki TLR1000, [V twin sport bike] but as soon as I rode it, I didn't like that it lacked the linear power of my Yamaha inline four. So I went with an R6 instead and couldn't have been the happier. Now if it were today, coming from my R*? There's no doubt I'd go for the TLR. But that's just my $.02

...Now the buzziness and vibration of a Harley at higher RPMs? That's a different beast altogether. Give me my R* any day.

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                Think I'm gonna drop the subject, before I piss you guys off.

Ha ha. A Harley is way smoother than a Roadstar at higher speeds/RPM’s. Anything made in this decade anyway. Don’t have experience with older Harley bikes. Roadie is pretty smooth until you start cruising at higher (ish) speeds. Longer trips with a Roadie always had a period of eyeball/teeth rattling and hand/foot numbness to get over afterwards.

I once said the thing about a bike having ‘no soul’. I almost immediately regretted it because I realized I was just repeating stuff I’ve heard other people say about a bike that doesn’t vibrate. Interesting. Probably an old Harley guy saying to dismiss other bikes.

All that being said, I would like to ride an Eluder but I can almost guarantee it wouldn’t be on my purchase list these days. I need more power than a cruiser with a v-twin can offer. I used to miss the v-twin sound but not anymore.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat... You that are experiencing enough vibration to get tingles, numbness or rattling teeth and eyes... Your bike isn't set up right! I got a GREAT deal on a R* a couple of years back, because the member here, and his wife, couldn't stand the vibes. I offered to fix it for him, but he was 'all done' with it. I rode it home on the interstate, and I could hardly see for all the vibration. It was BAD!

I only did what I learned here, and RE-installed the exhaust system that was on it.. and viola... all the nasty vibes were gone! If you think you're getting too many vibes, you can try the re-gapping of the plugs that Doc mentioned (I'd never heard that one before), or, since we nearly all have aftermarket exhausts... RE-mount your exhaust from exhaust port to rear mount loosely, and tighten from head to tip, slowly, gently, and by lightly moving and 'seating' everything, with as little binding as possible, and you may find all your unpleasant vibes gone. So far, it's worked every time I've tried it!

And, I totally agree with those who want a little shaking and deep rumble... I do. I have a real 'relationship' with my rides, and I love to settle in and feel and hear everything about them. The thought of a radio is anathema to me... The bike makes my music when I'm riding.

I had tried the Victory, the Indian, and the Venture, as we have a huge dealer not 10 miles away... but, as 'nice' as they were, smooth, powerful, and all that... none of them moved me. As soon as I'd get back on my Roadie, it would remind me why I own and ride 3 of them... They have that 'soul' I look for in a bike, in just the right amount and balance for my tastes.

Comment

• Deerkiller
                  Deerkiller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doc, wasn’t it you that posted something about bolts falling off of your bike and you looking for them on the side of the road? What do you think makes bolts come out of your bike?

• Questcap
                  Questcap commented
                  Editing a comment
                  500 miles? At 85+ MPH??? Man, I live in the NE! We can't go 85, let alone 85+. And, since we can't, we have to get OUT of the NE to be able to cover 500 miles in one day!!! I live between Boston and Providence, in the NE Corridor... I think there's more than 300,000 people within 10 miles of me...... We can get to 70 without being molested by the boys in blue.

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't doing 85+ the entire 500 miles, I was in the middle of BFE Eastern Oregon. Though there are about 2 million people within a 10 mile radius of me, and if you get a little further out, there are are still places around here you can do that.

Originally posted by Spydr View Post

Not to but i read that when HD was engineering the new Milwaukee 8 engine (it has counter balancers to reduce vibration), when the focus testers rode it they said it was so smooth it was like riding a sewing machine and they would not ride/buy one. The engineers went back to the drawing board and actually put more vibration back into the engine so they wouldn't alienate all their future buyers. I actually liked the M8 engine, smoother than the old days but still some "soul" left.... Definately could use some more "open" exhaust though!
                2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Back when I road the M8, the smoothness was the first thing I noticed. But when I rode the non M8 Lowrider custom with a 117 Stage 4 kit, it was buzzy as hell, especially as the RPMs climbed. When I got back on my R* it felt like Goldilocks. ...Just the right amount of vibration.

Why did such an innocent four letter word (soul) spark so much vinegar. You guys need to go out and ride.

Comment

• Deerkiller
                  Deerkiller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t. Too busy working! The heat and humidity have arrived in force here and that keeps me busier than I really want to be, lol. So, in between working on A/C’s, I read about riding motorcycles, come here and talk about riding motorcycles, look for deals on motorcycles on Craigslist that I can’t afford and don’t have time to ride, etc. What a life I have made for myself, ha ha. Should’ve been a teacher...

Today was the first day back on my bike after the 2 demo rides I had on the new TC Venture. This is where the Roadstar to me has different personality. The engine torque on the 1900 is wicked! The engine sounds are not like the Roadstar at all. Way louder on the Roadstar but smoother on the Venture. The other big difference is the fairing on the Venture which is body mounted instead of fork mounted. The steering on the Venture is very light vs my fork mounted fairing. I do like my Roadstar a plenty but the Venture is a great bike. All in all, after riding the Venture in my mind the Roadstar is not a big fairing, large bag and trunk bike. It is a full on big cruiser with character. I agree with Deerkiller on all the highspeed and high mile trips. These bikes sure break a man down.

Comment

Here's a quick (<5 minute) video review for the 2018 Star Venture TC from motorcyclist Magazine. They draw some comparisons to the GW and HD & Indian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR1ntlgDM7M
                  2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

I'm a cruiser, not a tourer... so, I like, own and ride cruisers. Cruisers had better rumble and vibrate enough to make you hear and feel some rough and toughness. Is it okay to say that it's a real ego-stroke? I wouldn't buy a cruiser to go 500 miles at 85+ miles an hour... That's for those open-road tourers, uh, like a Venture. I think the name, Venture, might be a touring bike name......

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by TwitchBDHR, 6 hours ago
                    10 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Dogbone
                    by Dogbone

Started by Panayiotis Chrysanthou, 3 hours ago
                    5 responses
                    0 likes