Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

Need tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tires

Well some Jack Wagon decided to turn right in front of me this morning on my way to work and I ended up locking up the rear tire luckily I avoid anything major. However now my rear tire is showing threads....called local Yamaha dealer they want $430 bucks for a set of Michelin Comander II's and then another $100 to mount them.....Unbelievable

Amazon is your Friend.
    But Commanders aren't cheap Anywhere you look.
    They Do get good mileage tho, so that eases the pain a bit.

Comment

• Ahodge75
      Ahodge75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I got about 12k on these I really do like them a lot.

I run Kenda's.... cheap and gets the job done.

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/949853ccd3c3a769b01c][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment align_center" alt="" />

Comment

It's not secret I love the Shinko 777 HDs for their handling. And you can get a set of blackwalls $195. Sure they don't last as long as others, but that's what happens with sticky tires, and at that price it's worth it to me. I've got Metzler 888s right now, and while their OK on wear and meh on handling, [still way better than Dunlop or Bridgestones], I'll be going back to the Shinkos for their better handling when the Metzlers are done. It's always a trade off. You can have tires that last, tires that are cheap, and tires that handle well, but you can't have all three.

As far as mounting, my local shop used to charge $30 per tire if I brought them the wheels, now it's $60 each and I still have to R&R.

Comment

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the Michelin’s they handle really good and have lasted good too and I’m fine paying for a good tire but when I just did a quick look and could get them for about $280ish online compared to $430 that’s what was insane. Never had shinkos I had Dunlop’s before and couldn’t wait to get rid of them

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't run Dunlops or Bridgesones on my R* again if you gave them to me. They make *really* great sport bike tires, but for what ever reason, their cruiser tires suck. I'd defintely order your own tires, dealers will always charge you list. $280 is a good price for the MCIIs, I'd try them if they had whitewalls. BTW, some have had balancing issues with the Shinkos, I use RideOn sealer and balancer, so I just add some extra RideOn and problem solved.

Jake Wilson online was the cheapest last time I bought tires.

Comment

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll check them out thanks

Don’t forget to check out the manufacturers rebate program. Most have a $50 rebate for a pair of tires. You need to submit the paper work to the manufacturer. The sales source won’t necessarily remind you.

Comment

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call.

I have another question my rear tire has a 90 degree valve stem on it but the front doesn’t which is a huge pain in the ass. Is there a specific one for the front that’s 90 degrees?

Comment

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        They're all the same. You running tubes are tubeless? If you're tubeless, do NOT get the press in type with a rubber base. They flex way too much every time you put air in and will eventually leak... Ask me how I know.

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not 100% positive at this moment but I believe I’m running tubeless. My last tire change was like 2+ years ago before I belonged to this site and didn’t even pay attention when they did it.

The Road Star came out with the front tube stem being straight and the rear stem was 90 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahodge75 View Post
        I have another question my rear tire has a 90 degree valve stem on it but the front doesn’t which is a huge pain in the ass. Is there a specific one for the front that’s 90 degrees?
        Yes, DK which one but I requested a 90 degree front tube last tire change. If you have mags, then no big deal to change it.

Comment

I’m retracting my previous statement I made to Doc on thinking tubeless. I’m rembering the front over winter was flat and when I went to inflate it the valve stem moved up and down like a tube was in it. So the front I think has a tube but no idea on the rear.

Im looking online and so far bike bandit seems the cheapest but they list them as tubeless but I’m assuming you can put tubes in them correct.

Comment

i literally just got back from having a new Kenda Cataclysm mounted on the rear. The guy at the shop said that this model hs done very well for wear and handling. I also ordered 90 degree stems off of amazon

Comment

Yes, you can run a tube in tires that say tubeless. [almost all modern tires say tubeless] Are they spoke wheels or cast aluminum? Spoke wheels need inner tubes, cast doesn't. And even if it's a tube, the stem shouldn't move. There's a nut that fits over the stem against the rim to hold it in place. It's also good to use a nut inside the rim as well to prevent the stem from flexing or cutting on the rim hole.

FWIW, in case anyone is interested, here are my Metzler ME888s at 4,800 miles.

Rear-
              Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_0570.JPGViews:	0Size:	75.1 KBID:	75429

Front -
              Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_0573.JPGViews:	0Size:	75.4 KBID:	75430

Last edited by Doc_V; 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahodge75 View Post
                I’m not 100% positive at this moment but I believe I’m running tubeless. My last tire change was like 2+ years ago before I belonged to this site and didn’t even pay attention when they did it.
                Most tires you can buy are labeled “tubeless”. That doesn’t mean you can run then tubeless in OEM spoked wheels. You need a tube and can put tubes in tubeless tires. If you have the OEM mags, you can run tubeless. It’s my understanding that you should NOT put a tube in a radial tire.

Comment

• Duke
                  Duke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know they make radial tubes for car radial tires. I'm not sure about motorcycle radial tires?

I’m running spoked rims so they must have tubes. I’ll try and get a 90 degree valve tube for the front

Comment

I bought some Mich. Commander II's last fall for mine. I think I paid $275ish for the pair to my door. I was in a hurry (didn't realize the front had a bald spot and I wanted to ride a little more last season) so had the local dealer install. They charged a labor rate and that was very close to what I paid for the tires.

I worked many hours in a service station and have changed more tires than I can count over the years (still do) with a hand machine and spoons. I'll definitely do my own next time.

Comment

Just be careful what you buy for that 2000. Depending on the tires, you could be doubling the value of that bike.

Comment

• Brad_G
                      Brad_G commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Isn't' that a sad truth!

• Ahodge75
                      Ahodge75 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Still runs better than any Harley.....I paid around $3200 7 1/2 years ago with 7500 miles....it now has well over 35k

There is only one company that makes a tube for our bikes with a 90 degree bend and that is Bridgestone. The part number you want is PV-78, that's for a 140-90-16 tube with the 90 degree inlet.

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/949853ccd3c3a769b01c][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment align_center" alt="" />

Comment

yes shinkos are sticky and have good grab, ride well wet, but dont last. the whitewalls also craze rather quickly, little surface cracking. commander II's on all of mine, or i have to change em too often. when shinko first came on the scene, after purchasing Yokohomma moulds (heresay), you could get a whitewall set for 150 clams delivered . i wouldnt wrestle with a tire tho, ill take em off, and my yamaha dealer mounts them for me 25$, uses stainless 90 degree stem. my 2002 xv250 i just bought with 300 miles has tires from year 2000, oh no Y2K!, and suprisingly look good, but replacements are here, dont make em that size, but my XS650 has a fresh set of commander II's.

Comment

I tried Kenda Cataclysms on my bike. Love them!

Comment

I just bought a new Michelin Commander II front tire for my bike from Cycle Gear. It was $159.00 + free shipping and they mount it for $25.00 if you carry in your wheel. They do have 90 degree tubes in stock as well. Luckily I work like 10 minutes from the Cycle Gear store. Replaced a Metzler on the front and it's like a new bike!

Comment

• Ahodge75
                          Ahodge75 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just ordered from bike bandit $123 for the front $143 for the rear

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Deerkiller, 2 days ago
                      10 responses
                      2 likes
                      Last Post jd750ace  
                      Started by Azuqui, 1 week ago
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Azuqui
                      by Azuqui