Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianmac
    replied
    sounds to me like to much fuel at low RPMS's could be too big PMS jet. hows it smell at end of ride at idle in the hangar?

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    Find a long down hill, you should be able to do it, but "not me".

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    HEY!!! Spydr made a Funny! Glad it made ya smile, Pal!

• JoeBloShmo
    replied
    Originally posted by Spydr View Post
    1st Guy: "Hey what ever happened to JoeBloShmo?"

2nd Guy: "Somebody on RSC suggested that he do something Dumb and he would be the First to do it! He took the challenge."

1st Guy: "Was he able to Do it???"

2nd Guy: "Don't know... We haven't heard from him Since!"

Lmfao.

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    1st Guy: "Hey what ever happened to JoeBloShmo?"

2nd Guy: "Somebody on RSC suggested that he do something Dumb and he would be the First to do it! He took the challenge."

1st Guy: "Was he able to Do it???"

2nd Guy: "Don't know... We haven't heard from him Since!"

• Doc_V
    commented on 's reply
    Just stack a couple bricks under the frame to get the rear wheel off the ground, start the motor, put it in 5th, and whack the throttle wide open! Be sure to video the whole thing if you do. P.S. I'm not responsible for destruction of property or injury. Proceed at your own risk. OK, now go make that video!

• JoeBloShmo
    replied
    Originally posted by jd750ace View Post
    If you ever hit the limiter in 5th, you’ll be the first.
    Challenge excepted. Lol. Just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• jd750ace
    commented on 's reply
    If you ever hit the limiter in 5th, you’ll be the first.

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    And here I was waiting for you to say you did it to let the neighbors know you were home.

• Flashback
    commented on 's reply
    Back in the day we used to call that an "Italian tuneup"............

• JoeBloShmo
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter G View Post
    Okay. I have an 04 and because I live in a small village I'm on the highway within 5 minutes of starting out. For me, every trip is a highway trip for the most part. Once warm, I run the bike up to about 70 kph (45 mph) in 2nd gear and to about 90 to 100 kph (55 to 62 mph) in third and then run in 4th unless I get up to about 120 kph (75 mph) it stays in 4th. Problem is I have no tach so I don't know whether or not I am anywhere near bouncing off the rev limiter. I use Seafoam regularly and haven't experienced anything that feels like it might be SVS.
    Does anyone have a print-out of rpm at certain speeds? (ie: What speed should I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear?) I haven't been able to find a paper tach on the net.
    3rd gear is about 72ish if I remember right.
    4th gear hits rev limiter around 90mph! Havent found it in 5th yet. 115mph feeds my occasional speed addiction.

Leave a comment:

• jd750ace
    replied
    Peter, I have an Excel spread sheet you plug in your tire size, pulley size, and rpm limit to see where your theoretical top speeds are. If you message me an Email address I can send it to you. You have room, BTW. Mine hits the limiter at 37 in 1st, 58 in 2nd, and 88 in 3rd. Have pulled 4th to an indicated 104 and ran out of room before I hit it. My top speed in 5th I have ever hit was 109 (GPS) and still had a little pull left from what I could tell. That’s no windshield or bags on my 1600 with the 1700 ignition unit. Speeds are some 5 to 7 mph or so lower on the 1600 box.

Leave a comment:

• Peter G
    replied
    Okay. I have an 04 and because I live in a small village I'm on the highway within 5 minutes of starting out. For me, every trip is a highway trip for the most part. Once warm, I run the bike up to about 70 kph (45 mph) in 2nd gear and to about 90 to 100 kph (55 to 62 mph) in third and then run in 4th unless I get up to about 120 kph (75 mph) it stays in 4th. Problem is I have no tach so I don't know whether or not I am anywhere near bouncing off the rev limiter. I use Seafoam regularly and haven't experienced anything that feels like it might be SVS.
    Does anyone have a print-out of rpm at certain speeds? (ie: What speed should I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear?) I haven't been able to find a paper tach on the net.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    I have my rev limit set at 5500 and hit it all the time just for the thrill. Not because of SVS.

Leave a comment:

• Jclevesque
    replied
    Cike I have an 04 and had an early case of svs. I did not soak the valves but simply used seafoam/mmo or ring free (i have used all 3 in seperate tanks) and have done a good long highway runs and hit rev limiter on a few occasions on the onramp. It cleared it but what I regularly do is NOT lug the engine by keeping revs a little higher. For example, on the highway doing 100 kmh or 60mph I will have it in 4th gear as opposed to 5th. I do hit the limiter once in a while but not too often. I do find these bikes dont like city riding at all. Similar to my XS 650. More long rides faster speed rides makes a big difference on how it performs. That is my take on it.

Leave a comment:

• jd750ace
    replied
    If I shut mine down and realized I didn’t hit the rev limiter since the last start up, I go back out, fire it up, and bounce it off the limiter twice, then shut it back down.
    Exploiting the full RPM potential when clearing valves (as I was taught by an old radial man) is to ensure the valves get to their peak operating temperature and also experience ALL potentially beneficial frequencies the engine is capable of, as some vibrations are beneficial frequencies for shedding fouling materials.

I won’t think any less of anyone that doesn’t bang it off the limiter, but for what it’s worth, I do.

Leave a comment:

• Lug Nut
    replied
    I would not worry about it until you develop symptoms of SVS

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    The only benefit I can see is that your working the valves quicker and harder at higher RPMs, causing valve stems to move quickly in the valve guides. If that's a benefit, I don't know.
    Myself, I don't like to hit the rev limiter if I don't have to.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    My understanding is it's about getting the revs up to get the motor *hot* and blow out the carbon. Twisting the throttle WIDE OPEN gives you a bigger dosage of fuel, more Seafoam, more heat, to help with the carbon. Given the R*'s short gears this generally means hitting the rev limiter. And just cruising along at 45mph in second gear won't do it because you're only at part throttle.

Leave a comment:

• Bikerron
    replied
    I’m sure it’s their way of saying to just keep the revs up. Banging the limiter serves no purpose to your cause.

You do realize that the carb will be feeding a maximum fuel load with an interrupted spark.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by roadiemort, 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
27 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort  
Started by boomerA, 1 week ago
18 responses
0 likes
Last Post Jaybo