Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW nailed Retro and displacement....Finally!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW nailed Retro and displacement....Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCf4KQ18LU

When I bought the Road Star, it was as close to retro and beautiful layout a blue collar working man could dream of. BMW finally aimed its sights on the cruiser market with their prototype retro big displacement solo cruiser. They are testing it in Germany at present.

Makes me appreciate the Road Star all the more so. BMW appears to think the cruiser market is still viable despite the greater demand for sports bikes vs cruisers.

A side thought, could that bike go head to hear with a sports bike power/performance wise? A boxer motor apparently has better overall torque than the v twin. Seems it may appeal to the younger riders into retro.

Nonetheless, most likely it will be priced beyond the reach of the average breadwinner, thus a novelty to look at and ponder over.

Will the bike catch on, or just another attempt to try something new that may or may not work? Despite my appreciation for all things retro, a solo type bike isn't for everyone, nor is retro. Most of my riding pals need baggers for camping, riding 2 up etc.

I am biased towards solo retro bikes. The bigger the displacement the better. So I have no reality as per what will be popular or not. What say you?

I personally think that thing is both beautiful and bad ass... Even so I see two significant problems; and competing with sport bikes or cruisers isn't one of them... First: It's just a prototype and chances of going in to production are slim to none. Second: If... and that's a BIG IF, they go into production, they'll likely be a limited production run priced WAY out of reach of the typical new bike buyer. Especially for a solo ride. But one can hope.

Click image for larger versionName:	moto.ch_Concorso-Eleganza-BMW-Concept-R-18_0006.jpgViews:	1Size:	262.7 KBID:	73316

Click image for larger versionName:	BMW-Concept-R18-03.jpgViews:	1Size:	233.8 KBID:	73317

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
      Father Pobasturd commented
      Editing a comment
      Where's the mirrors? All bikes look better without mirrors.

• Horsehammerr
      Horsehammerr commented
      Editing a comment
      Imagine the engine and trany cases BLACKED OUT !!!

• Doc_V
      Doc_V commented
      Editing a comment
      Mirrors, turn signals, fuel injection, air box, speedo, those massive German rear-end protection bumpers, drive shaft boot, front brake reservoir, safety seat, center mounted taillight and license plate lamp, ECU, etc.

This article says production version coming next year, 900 cc per cylinder, nice looking bike.https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...8-villa-deste/

Comment

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      Production model will be FI and meet all US safety requirements but spokesman for BMW did say it would be a simple bike without all the bells and whistles, still think that open driveshaft in the concept will have some sort of a guard on the production model.

I like it....how much?

Comment

I love the looks! New engine? Reliability?

Comment

I don't know I'm not sure about the looks it doesn't do justice justice to the old beamers and in my humble opinion bmw guys want bells and whistles and colormatchedriding shoes. I'm not sure they would go for that

Comment

• D-Fresh
          D-Fresh commented
          Editing a comment
          color matched riding shoes... LOL ;-P

My guess Between 25-30+ thousand Canadian.
        Tec Question. Since it doesn't need counterweight on crankshaft it should produce RPM quicker. Would the opposing piston design produce torque quicker, and more of it?

Comment

Opposing pistons tend to produce more torque. Especially when you have more than one piston per side. i.e. Boxer Engine. Think Porsche, VW, Subaru, and Lycoming. Plus you have a lower center of gravity. It's a good design.

Comment

• Deerkiller
            Deerkiller commented
            Editing a comment
            Also think Goldwing 1800. Lots of TQ. Impossibly smooth at any speed.

• Doc_V
            Doc_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call. Forgot about the GLs.

Someone else put that on here a week or so ago. Awesome machine. $20K at least I'd say. That's a pretty big jump in displacement for the Boxer motor. I think 1200 was as big as they had.

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/ca5b3f65ee41b85dc8e3][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail" alt="" />

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	052419-bmw-concept-r18-concourso-deleganza-P90351234.jpgmkjnhbgvfc.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	73333https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...-heritage.html

Comment

FYI for those who are unaware; it's from 1937...

Click image for larger version

Name:	get?url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F28167166_1437339963060662_1599622914953737452_n.jpg%3F_nc_cat%3D101%26_nc_ht%3Dscontent-lax3-2.xx%26oh%3D0f315c10215db005ba7829066bfa865a%26oe%3D5D6612AC&key=9bBN2F7CmljM9Pm6uab3cw&
Views:	171
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	73335

Comment

Slick looking machine. Clean stripped sleek look of the old school rigids. I friggin love it. Even the shaft drive. IMO. change the mufflers to the style of the 1937 and you have a winner. Except for the price of course.

Would love to see Yamaha do this with Eluder power plant. I bet they couldn't keep them on the showroom floor cause they would blow the doors of the price of the BMW. It would definitely fit in my world and complete my Yamaha circle. I have my full touring RSV and my Street Glided RS and could complete it with a simple v-twin rigid look.

Sometimes, simple is better and more desired. It's definitely in demand in the housing industry for quite a while now.

Comment

There's this other sense where BMW NEEDS to go simpler, if , in fact, they did... as their gussied up products have become something of unreliable nightmares... as the Consumer reports frequency of repair records brought out... BMW was dead last, by quite a long ways, too. Moco wasn't a whole lot better.

Comment

• Doc_V
                    Doc_V commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BMW motorcycle and auto used to be two separate entities, but ever since the auto division took over the motorcycle division, quality has gone down hill *hard*. Even the automotive division is more concerned with bells and whistles than quality and reliability these days. Both have lost their way big time. About 10 years ago there was a memo that said something to the effect, "We don't care about resale, or the rider who keeps their bike forever, we want the guy who buys the newest and latest every three years..."

I have 2 friends with BMW bikes. One sold the bike due to problems with brakes that kept occurring. Bought a Harley. The second friend is trying to fix the ABS on his BMW. He has 2, both are broken.

Comment

The latest video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeB-JB6nwdY My take. what strikes me is the sitting position. Hips and knee angles. No leg room. My hips will pop out in that position. I think a Road King is a bit cramped. The Road Star just fits me at my 5'8" stature. 30" inseam. If I was young I would love to own the BMW, but at present, legs need to be stretched for longer rides. Awesome looking bike.

Comment

• roadiemort
                      roadiemort commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's a Standard riding position best for controlling a motorcycle in all conditions. Come on! This is more a bobber than a cruiser.

I'm gonna be real surprised if they go forward with it regardless of the talk now. But then, I thought the same thing about the K1600B, and I'll be damned if they didn't actually build that one. Guess we will just wait and see

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/ca5b3f65ee41b85dc8e3][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail" alt="" />

Comment

oh yes, my brothers old 07 gs1200, i wound up resting my lower legs on the barrels on the highway , no place to put your legs (AFP) alternate foot positioning. formerly known as highway pegs and engine guard, formerly known as crash bars,

Comment

FPB is right all show bikes have no mirrors- its a trick !!
                        anyhow i would really like a beemer R9T or Pure i could do a lot with one of them - more than i can with the old brick god bless her soul!!
                        check out kevill custom bikes in the uk he puts some tidy stuff together

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUM7HXAT1E

Comment

i still like the old air heads, heads didn t get in the way, and had a nice look, but they lacked any serious performance. i had a chance to buy a early bmw with cantilever front spring end for 1500 in FL deep surface rust on every part condition. . when i heard it would cost 3K to rebuild engine, and u have to rebuild it, or it will auto-destruct(oil slinger), i ran. i like old bikes, but not museum pieces. gotta have so get up and go.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Darkkill57, 3 days ago
                            24 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Brian Schenk  
                            Started by AR. Hillbilly, 1 week ago
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post AR. Hillbilly