Eluder/venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eluder/venture

Was at the Yamaha dealer waiting on the parts guy. There was a venture and an Eluder on the floor. A sales man came over and we started talking. I asked his opinion? He has rode the venture and bragged it up. I asked if there were any bad points to them. He said yes, they can’t sell them.

I think their great bikes, a bit pricey and yah, I've heard about the issues too, but I think their biggest issue is the demographic. I think their too much in between a Harley and a Goldwing; and it's pretty rare you get crossover from those two groups. And did I mention the price?
    Last edited by Doc_V; 04-20-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Won't be long until you can get a brand new transcontinental for $20k not $27,999. They just sit at the dealerships. Still only have 2 colors....if they want to sell them they should try giving customers more options on colors to start. Look how long they had the RSV....99-14 with zero difference between model years other than S or Midnight package....same exact frame/suspension/wheels/motor/tranny etc for the whole run.
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

Expensive. All the plastic nooks and crannys are cheaply made. They’re good looking bikes but i think they appeal to someone who will likely buy a goldwing instead. For the price tag you could have a Harley or an Indian in your driveway and in my opinion you’d be better off doing so. Leave the dealer with a venture and lose half it’s value soon as it hits the freeway. I wish yamaha would come out with a bagger like the R or strat again and compete with the street glide and chieftain

Comment

All good points so far except for the price point argument. Had Yamaha designed a motorcycle that looked more like a motorcycle with the option of quick attach/detach options, they would have appealed to a much wider audience. Even Indian figured this out and yet their bikes are much more expensive and resale on their bikes is in high demand. Just ask Cike.

For some reason, the Japanese manufacturers make you decide on one option of their bikes. You either get a full touring model, a cruiser or stripped down cruiser and each and every one comes with a different power plant.. Perfect example, the RSV or RS or V-Star.

Just think how well the the Venture or Eluder would sell if it looked more like a real traditional bike.
          You could quick detach the tour pack when not needed and have the option to quick attach a passenger back rest. Also have the option to quickly remove the passenger seat for the solo ride look..

Same with the Eluder for quickly removing the rear seat and the option to quick attach a tour pack.

How about a stripped down version with the same engine? Kind of like a road star. Also have the option of a quick attach/detach windshield or back rest?

Although I am not a big HD fan, at least they have this part customer needs/wants down pat. Even Indian has this figured out. one power plant with options galore to fit all riding styles (with options as wanted).

As it stands with the piss poor sales of the new Yamaha line and the mediocre style, even resale down the line is going to suffer.

Me personally, Yamaha blew it. My next ride is going to be an Indian.

Comment

^^^^ This right here^^^ Why Jap bikes must all have different power plants is why they miss the Merican market. Harley offers, what, 3 motors with literally *dozens* of variations? Especially now that they're doing away with all the Dynas in leu of the softail. And big yes to Indian, what do they offer? 2 options? Japanese manufacturers put all their wood behind the power plant when they should be focusing on the packaging.

Comment

I think the Eluder n black looks awesome, I'll let somebody else take the hit on the drop in value and pick one up in 2-3 years. Of course I have yet to ride one but most of the reviews I've seen have been favorable. I like the air cooled V-twin and belt drive style of bike, of course I love the Indians especially with some of the changes they have made lately as well so who knows. It is on my radar for the future.

Comment

When I see a model that looks like MY idea of a motorcycle... I might consider it. But, for now, Road Stars is still where it's at for me, and at 65, may well be the right bike until I can't throw a leg over one anymore!

Comment

I'd venture that A.R. Hillbilly's story is one repeated across America at many Yamaha dealers. I love the Eluder too, but in 2-3 years you'll be able to pick up a used Indian cheaper. I'm already seeing 2014 models at or below the $10K mark now, I'd say $8K in 3 years. Even if you could find an Eluder for $8K 3 years from now, would you buy it over an Indian for the same or less money? Even a lot of us Yamaha fans would say no. Especially if the Indians continue to be solid performers. I could see Yamaha bailing on the cruiser market any time now, maybe keeping the V-Max and maybe the V-star 650 (they sell a lot of those), maybe not. I can see Polaris bailing on the Indian just like they did with Victory. I think the cruiser market as a whole is at the onset of a major downturn as all the baby boomers die off and interest wanes. The next big surge is gonna be electrics.

And while I'm on that topic, let me ask: Where are the Hybrid Bikes? With all the hybrid cars and trucks out there, WTF? Big thing holding back electric bikes now is lack of range..Hybrid technology solves that. And something else. Final drive. Chains and belts are 19th century technology. Even the shaft-drive bike came along in the 1930's. At least that's in the 20th century. Here we are almost 2 decades into the 21st century and we are still using this archaic shit. Now, maybe this was tried before, I don't know. I'm 57 years old and pretty well versed in all things motorcycle, but it could have gotten by me. Could be something that was tried long ago but the technology at the time wouldn't support it, you know, like now they can make a 2-stroke burn clean? I'm talking about hydrostatic drive.

I drove Ready-Mix trucks for 7 or 8 years. There's a hydraulic pump that turns the drum that would fit in a motorcycle frame, but you wouldn't need one that big. You would have 2 hoses running back to your rear hub, the hoses flex and allow for the rear suspension to travel. The pump takes the place of the clutch and the transmission. You could even go 2 wheel drive if you wanted. So, how about a bike with a small gas engine turning a generator which charges a bank of batteries which power an electric motor which powers a hydraulic pump. Your rear hub would look like the inside of a water pump, with vanes in a sealed housing. No tensioning, no squealing, no nasty chain breaking and taking out your cases. Just quiet, efficient hydrostatic drive. You could even have reverse.

So I got a little. Oh well.

Comment

My self I’m not a fan of anything Polaris. That said the Indians are growing on me. The fact that they will sell is a plus. They sell a lot of them so there are a lot of them showing up on the used market with low miles for a good price.
                    i still think I want to find a low miles raider but since getting married touring bikes have became more realistic.
                    no more than I get to ride my RoadStar might last me for ever.

Comment

I'd love a new Venture as it looks like you could spend a lot of time on one without needing to get off and take a break. But I'm not going to shell out that kind of $$ on a bike. May keep an eye on the used market in a few years.

I've always liked Polaris sleds so assume they'd be ok in the motorcycle market. The Indians are growing on me but when it comes right down to it I still think the R* is a damn fine looking bike.

Comment

I like the looks of them as well but will wait a couple years from now and buy a trade in at HD for around 4 grand.
                        we mess with Atv’s and Polaris seems to be bottom of the barrel. I never liked how Victory handled the V92 transmission fiasco. I believe Yamaha would have made it right.

Comment

Saw a new 2018 Venture in a garage tonight. Wasnt mine. I want the Eluder in blue.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by EnergyGuy, 4 days ago
                          10 responses
                          4 likes
                          Last Post ChrisKimmer  
                          Started by ChrisKimmer, 11 hours ago
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post ChrisKimmer