Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Bike Movie

What's your favorite bike movie?

This is one of my favorite bike movies and has motivated me to want to ride out West while I still can. That and the series "Ride" with Norman Reedus. Oh and the social media pages of "hookers and popcorn". Joshua tree looks pretty cool (along with many other SW venues).
    2012 Road Star Silverado S

I just bought Choppertown: Sinners and Sidecar and Dogs from Amazon prime. Both good.

Comment

• D-Fresh
      D-Fresh commented
      Editing a comment
      Not heard of that one.

signature

Comment

• D-Fresh
      D-Fresh commented
      Editing a comment
      You gotta love the "biker" scene in the big adventure! LOL

Hands down it's " The Wild Angels" with Peter Fonda, and Bruce Dern as "The Loser".

Comment

• D-Fresh
      D-Fresh commented
      Editing a comment
      have to check that one out.

• Father Pobasturd
      Father Pobasturd commented
      Editing a comment
      Key in on Fonda's speech in the church, and you'll see where civilians got thier opinion of us low-life biker trash. This film came before Easyrider. Bruce Dern is fantastic!

Word's Fastest Indian is near the top; Long Way Round was good too.
    Last edited by Doc_V; 03-17-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
      Editing a comment
      Y'know Doc, I liked Indian too, but I think Hopkins might not have been the best casting for that part. I really like him in many other things (Silence of the Lambs, West World et al) but for that part, I would have went with someone else. Who, I'm not sure. I really enjoyed Long way 'round, especially the parts in Russia out in the middle of nowhere. I watch Ride w/ Norman Reedus every week though it's not much of a motorcycle show, per se, it's more like The Norman Reedus Show. I'm a big Walking Dead fan so there it is.

• D-Fresh
      D-Fresh commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen both and liked both. I agree with FP, didn't think Hopkins was the best casting for that role.

• Doc_V
      Doc_V commented
      Editing a comment
      I chose WFI mainly because Burt Monroe is a true badass. It's the story that does it for me. I agree it was hard not to see Hopkins, rather than the role, it's a risk you run anytime you choose a big name to play a real life character. But it's likely we would never have seen the movie if they hadn't chosen a big name. As far as who else could have chosen? Not a lot of choices unless they'd chosen a relative unknown.

Nobody's gonna chime in for Easyrider? Gotta be top 5 at least. But then, I like On Any Sunday too. Another good one to check out if you never saw it is Electra-Glide in Blue. Robert Blake stars as a Phoenix Motorcycle cop in the early 1970's. The ending is truly epic.

Comment

• D-Fresh
      D-Fresh commented
      Editing a comment
      You gotta like Easy Rider, i will have to check out Electra-Glide in blue.

• Doc_V
      Doc_V commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call, On Any Sunday should have been at the top of my list. Easy Rider is a classic, no doubt, just like The Wild One, and arguably revolutionary for it's time, but for entertainment value it's not a movie I'd personally like to watch over and over again. ...But that's just me.

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
    What's your favorite bike movie?

This is one of my favorite bike movies and has motivated me to want to ride out West while I still can. That and the series "Ride" with Norman Reedus. Oh and the social media pages of "hookers and popcorn". Joshua tree looks pretty cool (along with many other SW venues).

Comment

Isle of man TT DVD any year, it doesn't matter! Chopper town , Easy rider mm ok (big fan in my youth), Stone at a push...
      i agree with FPB long way round stuck in the bogs out in Mongolia somewhere..

Comment

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. It was awesome to see those seemingly simple nomads just step in and fix their bike when they couldn't. Definitely my favorite part of the movie. And *anything* on the TT is good to watch in my book. It's definitely on my bucket list.

Wild Hogs!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone pics 5-3-2015 025.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	63468

Comment

I will Die with Easyrider in my Blood

Comment

I've always wanted to see "The Wild One" with Marlon Brando but just hasn't happened yet. Has anyone seen that and care to comment?

Comment

• Doc_V
            Doc_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Like FP said, you've got to get into that 1950s mindset; becaues context is king! It's key to enjoying this, or any classic movie. By today's standards The Wild One a total yawn fest. They're are not explosions, dismemberment, sex scenes, no high speed chases, shootings, or POV shots. But at time when people feared anyone who looked like Brando did in the move, think Leave it to Beaver, the viewers suddenly thought, "Oh geepers, these ruffians could show up in *my* town ,and steal *my* daughter / girlfriend, turning her to a life of ill repute!" And kids were like, "Neeto! I want to ride a motorcycle and wear leather jackets too!" So that was significant to mom and pop whitebread. Easy Rider was about the *freedom* to do whatever the hell you wanted and not let "the man" keep you down. At a time when most guys under thirty were dealing with the reality of the Vietnam war, nothing was more free than hitting the road on a chopped and stretched Harley, smokin weed and enjoying some "free love" with girl you just met at a hippie commune in the desert. This was LONG before Burning Man, and not the type of movie the studios allowed back then; even the crew was pretty much living the way they looked in the movie, and there was even some nudity, so it was significant for the times.
            Last edited by Doc_V; 03-20-2019, 02:17 PM.

• D-Fresh
            D-Fresh commented
            Editing a comment
            FP,

I've pasted the 1/2 century mark and used to have a bunch of Bogart movies (The Maltese Falcon is a favorite) on VHS tape... so i can get the vibe. Never seen a lot of Brando so looking forward to it.

• D-Fresh
            D-Fresh commented
            Editing a comment
            Doc,

The backdrop for those two movies really does put the setting into focus. I saw ER many years ago and probably was old enough to really appreciate it. What you just described sounds like a he!! of a lot of fun now! ;-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8J6s7qSUbY

it's a short documentary about the isle of man tt...i've seen alot of videos and shows about the isle of man..this is the by far the best with great footage, bits of dialog from guys i've been watching for years and a few cautionary tales...when you have 45 minutes and what a lift, here it is...zp...

Comment

• D-Fresh
            D-Fresh commented
            Editing a comment
            Those Isle of man riders are crazy! Their Cojones are so large I don't know how they even fit on the bike! ;-p

• Doc_V
            Doc_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Big thumbs up for the TT.

For me is Easyrider first and On Any Sunday second. I have both tapes and I watch them every once in a while even though I know what is going to happen.

Comment

Anyone remember the TV show "Then Came Bronson"? Apparently ATGATT meant a stocking hat and a prayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsztoaU9Ls

Comment

• Doc_V
              Doc_V commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a classic. I've only seen a couple, but definitely cool.

• Father Pobasturd
              Editing a comment
              I was pretty young but I remember it. Michael Parks, right? Is that the same guy in Kill Bill?

• D-Fresh
              D-Fresh commented
              Editing a comment
              FP,

I guess it was, didn't see KB but read about him being in it in his bio. I vaguely remember seeing Then Came Bronson (TCB) on TV when i was a little kid, it only ran one season.

Greetings,
            I suggest: "Stone Cold" w/Brain Bosworth. He plays an undercover Alabama cop, working with Feds, investigating a biker gang selling PCP. I especially like the acting by Lance Henriiksen as the leader of the MC. He plays a real sicko! Easy Rider, Wild Angels, Hell's Angels 69, Then Came Bronson, Motorcycle Diaries also on my list. Have a lot of popcorn & beer on hand!

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
              Editing a comment
              Didn't care for Stone Cold or The Motorcycle Diaries. Hell's Angels '69 was cool, but I like Jack in just about anything.

road warriors , easyrider. dont forget chips TV show. when we get real old, im gonna strap 4 bikes to a flatbed trailer and me and brothers will sit on them and cruise bikeweek like disney tourists , like they did on CHIPS.

Comment

• D-Fresh
              D-Fresh commented
              Editing a comment
              Brian,

What do you mean by "like they did on CHiPS"?

Mad Max!

Comment

For the corniest biker movie I nominate The Glory Stompers. I can't help it, when I see Jamie Farr, all I see is Corporal Klinger. Viva Knevel was pretty bad too, the one with George Hamilton playing Evel. Even the other one where Evel plays himself is lame. If you put his story in the hands of someone worthy of it, say, like an Oliver Stone, you might really have something. The man had an interesting life. Some talent, money, and a little creative license goes a long way.

Comment

• Doc_V
                Doc_V commented
                Editing a comment
                You want corny? How about the episodes of Star Trek and Lost In Space with their Space Hippies and Space Bikers?

• Father Pobasturd
                Editing a comment
                Hard for me to watch Star Trek anymore, yes, it's soooo corny. Never cared for Lost in Space. I burned myself on Star Trek TNG, watched it so many times I almost have the script down. Still watch DS-9 and Enterprise, just about burned out on Voyager too. I like all the movies, old and new. My wish is for Star Trek: Kronos. All Klingons, all the time. I still want to get the Klingon symbol tattooed on me.

On Any Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
                Anyone remember the TV show "Then Came Bronson"? Apparently ATGATT meant a stocking hat and a prayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsztoaU9Ls

I remember watching Then came Bronson

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by midnitmike, 5 hours ago
                3 responses
                1 like
                Last Post Lug Nut
                by Lug Nut

Started by JoeBloShmo, 3 hours ago