motorcycle training courses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle training courses

Has anyone taken a training course other than the new rider very basic one?

I have been riding 32 years and have never had any type of formal training. I noticed that there is a "Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic" this summer that is about 70 miles away from me. The class is in May, but they are signing up now. Cost is $300 for a 8hr class.

They have beginning, intermediate, Advanced, .... and above, all offered by total control, but it looks like only the advanced class is coming near me as of now. requirement for advanced class is 1 yr riding and 3,000 miles. (i'm way past that) Even though this is cornering in a parking lot, it is suppose to be based on street skills (not a race course) which is good since i'm not a fast corner taker anyway.

I know that the Total Control books are have a great reputation, but have never known anyone who has went to one of their classes.. I have never known anyone that has taken any courses above the basic level. We don't get many choices for that type of stuff here in Ohio that I'm aware of.

The thought of taking this makes me nervous for some reason. (not sure why)
    Just wondering what people's thoughts were on these types of courses that have taken one. Also if anyone has done the Total Control clinic.
    Here is a link to the Total Control website.
    No matter what skill level you are now, ARC will make a recognizable difference in your ability to control your bike. The Total Control ARC instructors are highly trained and carefully handpicked for their teaching abilities and friendly dispositions.
    owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

i luv u cike, happy holidays and merry xmas

Comment

• cike
      cike commented
      Editing a comment
      happy holidays and merry Christmas to you as well.... are you tasting the egg nog a little early today by any chance? lol

I have taken the advanced course several times in Nova Scotia. I highly recommend any type of ongoing training regardless of years of riding or skill level. As far as training goes I have been drumming for well over 40 years and still train and learn. A motorcycle is much more serious thus why skimp on training. Plus the training course is fun and one gets to meet other riders with common interests.

I really enjoy practicing skills in parking lots. Turning the bike under eighteen feet can be a lot of fun.

Comment

What the l'll drumerboy said.
      Cike, I went o this one and it was a good time.
      Training Wheels has many convenient locations and a flexible schedule for motorcycle riding lessons in Metro West, Boston, Brockton, Plymouth, Southeastern Mass and Cape Cod Massachusetts.

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Don’t be nervous, and take the SV. Everything you learn on the light sport transfers to the big bike except the motorcycles own limitations. I have never done a basic or advanced course. I have ridden from age 8 to 17, and from 28 to my current 49. I’ve done some reading and application training on my own. I’ve spent more of my own money on combat training than any other type.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

• cike
          cike commented
          Editing a comment
          would love to but i'm still having low rpm issues with the SV. I tried some parking lot stuff with it the other day, but playing with the throttle makes it hard to do well. As of right now if I take it (which I plan too) it will be on the electra glide..... I am cleaning the fuel filter this week on the SV so hopefully that will fix it. (fingers crossed)

I've taken several, they make a gigantic difference.
        Even taking the same course from different instructors is a good idea.
        You get a different perspective and experiences along the way.

Next course I want to take is the civilian version of the Police Motor course.
        I plan on really cooking the clutches with that one. LOL

Comment

• cike
          cike commented
          Editing a comment
          at least clutches can be replaced.. i am excited to try the course..

• Jaybo
          Jaybo commented
          Editing a comment
          With a Demo bike I presume?

slow circles, : hint , on carbed bike, turn up idle to like a no stall point. , takes throttle out of picture. so u can fucus on clutch, turn, braking . those stunt bucks even have detented throttle control/settings in remote spots. to let off the gas, just pull/feather burn) clutch.....this has the same effect. does the FI bikes have idle control?

Comment

• BubbaKahuna
          BubbaKahuna commented
          Editing a comment
          My carbed 06 is so well tuned that it won't stall at such a low speed that it sounds like it's barely running.
          I'll definitely crank it up (at about 900rmp now) just to be safe.
          I practice slow figure 8s all the time, I can turn a complete circle in 2 standard parking spaces.
          I just want to get the more aggressive stuff down from the real pros rather than watching videos & halfass guessing my way through it.

I don't think the EFI bikes have an idle adjustment, but all my Roadstars are carbed.

whattayamean, riding an MC is just like COMBAT, they are ALL out to get you. every second , every yard, preferred weapon is massive caged vehicle,,,,,

Comment

i typically go up to like 12-1500 ish, for a smoother clutch. and if you over engage clutch, engine speed maintains hi enuf.

HAVE ALL YALL PRACTICED YOUR PANIC BRAKING LATELY?????????????????????????????????????

55 YEARS of riding , 17y/old -63 on pavement. whew , i am a MC enthusiASSt. and ride in a "spirited" manner.

but we are responsible for all the other fools on the road. thats always been my approach.

i stay in shape, dont have a winter off season, thinkin that some day i made need a smaller scoot, but i can still thro around the RS like my XS650, altho it wont lean over as far without floorboard talk........say no to trike unless u cant walk or hold it up.

Comment

Went out to practice my panic braking and the front brake lever went all the way to the grip with little braking happening! Needless to say, I got a problem!

Comment

• cike
              cike commented
              Editing a comment
              sounds like it is time to check the pads, maybe replace the fluid, and bleed the brakes.. It's a good thing to find this out now and not with a car in front of you.

• Jaybo
              Jaybo commented
              Editing a comment
              If you don't have stainless steel lines get them! the stock rubber ones are likely toast. the SS lines give you so much better feel and braking power!

With the courses, the thrill was being nervous. A bit like performing, but containing much more stress in my case. A lack of confidence in my case as I felt underqualified and a general fear of being watched. In a way, it was a thrill feeling like I was under the microscope. In a short, while, I realized everyone had a degree of nervousness and we were in it altogether.

I found the intensity while being in the course forced me to up my game and focus in a way that is harder to do outside of a training group. As a group, it appeared everyone wanted everyone to try harder. The group had a positive peer pressure vibe.

It is hard to explain until one takes a course. I can only simply state it as it forces you to try harder in a way you can only understand while riding in that situation.

The nice thing it was everyone is supportive. It was not about skill level, but about skill improvement. Some guys dropped their bikes, Some super nervous like me. Others helped with advice. The trainers were super guys and the course was a ton of fun after all is said.

Comment

I know some of the courses just about guarantee you will drop your bike on the slow speed stuff ( as Drums will attest to). They tell you to wrap your bike for the class. Loaner bikes would do a lot to help enrollment...

Comment

Originally posted by BigPainRing View Post
                Went out to practice my panic braking and the front brake lever went all the way to the grip with little braking happening! Needless to say, I got a problem!
                With your bike being over 10 years old (if I read your profile correctly) you might as well put on steel braided brake lines while you’re changing the fluid (if you don’t have them already).
                2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Cike,

The state of Ohio (and other states as well, not sure) offer riding classes at a reduced rate of $50 made possible through a government grant of some sort. They offer BRS (Basic Rider Skills), BRS-RR (Retruning Riders), BRS-2 (Basic Rider Skills-2) and ARS (Advanced Rider Skills). The BRS-2 offers the option of training with a rider on the back (an additional $50) which seems like a great class if you will have a passenger on the back.

I don’t know the quality of the training for these types of classes, if anyone who is familiar with them would chime in that would be greatly appreciated. I’m not too far away from you and would be interested in taking some of these classes with you if you are interested. Again, don’t know of the quality of these classes but the price sure seems right!

Cheers,

Comment

• MidwestMike
                    MidwestMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Illinois offers those classes as well. They may be helpful but they just cover the basics for first time riders. Teach you enough to get your license and basic braking/turning.

And in Illinois they are technically offered for free, but all these free spots are taken literally within 20-30 seconds of being made available. Everyone ends up with the paid course, but they do road test you there so you can just bring a piece of paper to the DMV and get your license then.

i dont get the stainless braided line thing. but i change brake fluid annually due to florida humidity. its unlikely you will benefit from a more rigid brakeline at 5 mph. with disc brakes, the goal is to stop without skidding the wheel. that's just touch , feedback and response to feedback, which is a practice thang. IMHO.
                  Is an aftermarket stainless from china gonna be better quality than OEM rubber / fiber/textile reinforcement braid?

Comment

• HotRod
                    HotRod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you ever changed your rubber brake lines? The service manual calls for them to be replaced every 5 years. And why would you risk your life purchasing "cheap chinese" SS brake lines when there are companies like Barnett that make them here in the USA with American parts. Maybe you care more about the green in your wallet than the skin on your ass.

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
                  i dont get the stainless braided line thing. but i change brake fluid annually due to florida humidity. its unlikely you will benefit from a more rigid brakeline at 5 mph. with disc brakes, the goal is to stop without skidding the wheel. that's just touch , feedback and response to feedback, which is a practice thang. IMHO.
                  Is an aftermarket stainless from china gonna be better quality than OEM rubber / fiber/textile reinforcement braid?
                  I was under the impression that SS brake lines last longer than the rubber ones so while you're changing them out put on the SS instead. Maybe a SS vs rubber thread will ensue...

Comment

• HotRod
                    HotRod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is actually quite simple, rubber brake lines are made of rubber, they expand and contract. SS brake lines do not due to the STEEL wrapped around the actual hose portion of the line. The SS lines give a much more positive feel under all braking conditions.
                    Rod

well , ifn u follow the manual by the book, you would be changing a lot of other stuff too. like caliper bolts? if i remember?? they recommend u replace certain items metal bolts. ive been riding a long time, and i although i have seen brake lines get plugged up so bad you cant shoot compressed air thru them, due to solidified brake fluid, ive never had a failure. i did replace the brake line on my 35 year old XS650 recently, with non stainless, and it is as stiff as a single disc can get when properly bled. you could watch the old one expand when pumped . i guess my RS's are close to teenagers now, i could try SS on one of em.
                  i know for a fact that they cAn get a Dissecting aneurysm when they get old

//www.merckmanuals.com/home/heart-and-blood-vessel-disorders/aneurysms-and-aortic-dissection/aortic-dissection

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                  3,297 responses
                  3 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by Mitch82, 14 hours ago
                  7 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post TimB