Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an awesome adventure!!
    Without thinking I’ve got a couple...
    1~ an extra key, a $100, & a $20 under the seat (if you’ve rigged the seat for keyless removal).....
    Everyone will take a $20 but that doesn’t go far so have a $100 (or several) available. Cash is king and works everywhere. Think roadside bike trouble or lowlifes snatching your stuff in NE, 150 miles from real services, but that farm house has a well equipped shop. Having a cash stash attached to your bike is a good thing.
    2~ Pikes Peak... average June temp is 38 on top (cold and windy). We (daughter & I) didn’t pack for damn cold so we hit a thrift store in co springs for cheap winter coats. We asked for a discount, telling the clerk it was for a day trip up and that we’d be donating them back the next day regardless, she took 50% off. The pull off park half way up is an awesome spot for a sack lunch, a pee, and admiring the beauty. You’ll also notice the lack of O2 for youself and bike.

Ride safe or stay home ~Phil
    ~ride safe or stay home

Comment

--

Two thoughts here. First is if you carry all the recommended stuff above, you're not going to have enough room for essentials for two people unless you're pulling a trailer. But then I also carry a rain jacket, bike cover, extra tools, tire repair stuff, emergency mini battery, maps, gps, camera, shaving kit, sandals, and water.

400 miles per day is fine on slab, but around the Black Hills (with Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt. Rushmore) and Pike's Peak (and nearby mountain roads) areas, you'll not get any miles in on your journey at all. You can save some time (and $90-150 each cost) by skipping the Durango train ride as you can ride your bike from Silverton to Durango along about the same route. If you stop there, that's another day.

If you think you will be going west out of Denver, let me know. I can meet you along to way and show you a great route to Durango. Well, actually any route through the Rockies is scenic.

--

Comment

--

If you can link this, it's an article I wrote on the Durango/Silverton ride:

https://ezinearticles.com/?A-Narrow-...ure&id=7811957

--

Comment

also, a 100 and a 20?, im thinking FUSES, bring spares, ALSO, when i went camping on the RS, all the gear and shit that didnt fit in Sbags went in duffel bag(s) thrown over pass seat, and strapped to TALL sissy bar. MAKES A DAMN GOOD BACKREST ALSO. not to mention the i'm cool factor because like "then came bronson" google that young MF's! (an old TV show bout a biker/traveler in US) , tents, those fold up chairs, also fit across bike nicely. you can tip them up to access S bags.

see the pic below, whadda think he was askin her in the woods?

Comment

• roadiemort
            roadiemort commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, I think his son on the back seat your loading up just kicked you in the head, Lmao.

• p birk
            p birk commented
            Editing a comment
            “Also a 100 and a 20?”
            Everyone will take a $20 but that doesn’t go far so have a $100 (or several) available. Cash is king so having a stash attached to your bike can do a lot in the rare event you become separated from your wallet or possessions.

Originally posted by boomerA View Post
          I second the advice about the extra fuel can. I bought a 1 gallon can on my last trip due to uncertainty of open gas stations along the way , and my tendency to see if I could go a little further before filling up. ALWAYS check the weather channel at your hotel/motel before starting out each day, and , in my case, take several camelback -like hydration packs, filling them with ice and water each morning. I'll add more later.
          I think I know what you're talking about... I had the hose come off one while in NM, and the ice-cold water running down my back (even though ambient temps were high) almost caused an accident! (you can take your pick of what KIND of accident, and either one would be correct !

Comment

One thing nobody has mentioned is a charger for your phone. If you can set up a cigarette lighter power source (like from Kuryakyn) on your bike,even better...you could have your phone hooked up, powered up, and use it as a GPS.(also comes in handy , if you have a compact air pump like the product from SLIME, which can use the above -named power source, or hook into your battery tender harness (the Kury product uses that kind of connection). Take a digital camera for pics along the way (less likely to accidentally delete some) and maybe, a small set of binoculars, and a small notebook to take notes of sights/experiences along the trip (helps you remember what and where you saw various sights).

Comment

Hey JD,
              Durango, Colorado is 45 miles away from me, and if you want, I could meet you and your son. If you have any problems, or needing any parts, I would be less than a hour away, so count on that.
              If you want to send a clean set of clothes thru the mail to my house, I could meet you and we could mail out the dirty clothes to you home. I have a few friends that do this, and it works out great.
              There is a lot of great riding around here and not boring, lots to see. Remember to stop and enjoy the views, and take a lot of pictures. Your son will be out on his own before you know it.
              Let me know if I can be of any help.

Comment

Wow --- You might get a trailer JD, LOL. I have made the trip you described several times. I also rode the Co. part with my son and my two grandsons on our Roadstars. I quit taking the grand sons after the oldest got to the age of 15. He grew to 6 ft. and 190 #. You are limited with the amount of gear you can carry... It adds up fast when taking a Passenger. You definitely need cold weather gear no matter what time of the year you go.. The Rockies can get pretty cool over the Mountain passes. Rain is common in the afternoon after about the end of June. I had the rear brake go out coming off of Slumgullion pass. But I don't ride brakes so you can rule that out..I also had the clutch quit on My Venture (hydraulic) Going over Monarch pass. Sure as hell was not riding the clutch... It is a mystery to me because i always put fresh fluid in before each trip... For some reason it does happen on occasion. I would not be to concerned about it with your experience riding it should not present much of a problem. THey will return to normal operation when you lose altitude. You can't carry every spare part for your bike. But I do carry a can of fix-a-flat. Although I have been touring since the 70's. never had a flat or ran out of gas. carrying a gas can is a big no-no. A Garmin Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7967.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	49672Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7968.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	49673 mounted on your handle bars is a good idea. It will tell you the nearest gas stops, and can give you phone #s in case you need help. Do not rely on your phone for Nav, Lots of places no signal at all. A Garmin Nuvi, works well and are cheap and reliable. Works where you can not even get a radio station. LOL..

Comment

wow id dint realize when you said taking, you meant as a passenger.. also the gas can is made for a backpacking and dont leak.

Comment

• Doc_V
                    Doc_V commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I actually use empty an Seafoam bottle. The price is right and they work just fine. Though size can be limiting if you're miles from nowhere.

Long sleeve dry fit t shirts--keep wind and sun off, Good rain gear--sucks to get wet the first 30 min of an 8 hr day

Expect to average about 50 mph for the day, Most hotels have a laundry room--2 days’ worth of clothes laundry on 3rd

Take clothes you can wash and dry together in 1 load, Swim trunks--hotel hot tub at the end of the day is great

You will be in some mountains bike will not run as good as normally does Let the engine help you break especially coming down Pikes Peak

Have a great trip
                  Bob

Comment

Hey JD nice trip you have planned there with your son. Enjoy every second with him. I think you will need a trailer with all the stuff everyone has suggested lol! Great ideas. If you break down, just think of it as part of the trip. You AND your son will never forget it and laugh while thinking about it. Ride safe you guys. J-C

Comment

Now it sounds like an old Harley trip where a group ride was always followed by a van for when one broke down

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
                        Now it sounds like an old Harley trip where a group ride was always followed by a van for when one broke down
                        Heh! Reminds me of the groups of Europeans that come over here to book tours of Route 66 from a Harley dealership (maybe more than one?). ALWAYS, the group was either preceded, but mostly followed by a 'support convoy'!

Comment

the biker gangs all had a step van or full size van following , we called then GANG-VOYS. BACK in those days, harleys really needed a parts truck also. you did not have to worry about getting ring-ding 2 strokeOIL all over your windshield following driving behind them. Just non-metric bolts, beer cans, and cigarette butts, and even tho you could easily, you did not pass them on a 2 lane road! after all , JAP CRAP had its place in that day, that philosophy still lingers.

Comment

pUT the fuel pump back on it!!! Lol
                            spare bulbs for lights and fuses
                            new drive belt (fuck it, you got 80k miles on original one why not change now and might be the last one you need)
                            fresh brake fluid
                            breakaway throttle lock...best I've used
                            can of gas dryer (fixed a watered down gas issue I have had a couple times almost instantly)

Comment

Spam...don't forget the Spam !
                              I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

• roadiemort
                                roadiemort commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Since he now needs to take a trailer might as well throw in the tent and a camp stove, don't forget the grits.

• Doc_V
                                Doc_V commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Oh yah, and an AC unit. [You'll need a generator to power it.] An extra couple gallons of gas for the generator. A cooler. A sun shower. [A few gallons of water for the sun shower] A sat phone. A solar panel. Folding chairs. A Table. Stove. Pots and pans. Coffee pot. Coffee Mugs. Dishes. Flatware. Fire wood. A fire pit grate. Bug Spray [that one I'm serious about] Tin foil. Camp soap. Flip flops. Towels. MREs [just in case] Water purification tablets. Water purification filter pump or straw. Iodine pills. [incase there's an apocalypse.] A shovel. A hatchet. TOILET PAPER! [Actually I'm serious about this one too: Wet Wipes! Trust me. Mustard Butt is no fun on a hot summer's day with miles to go.] A video game to keep your sun entertained. Internet access so he can post to Instagram and Facebook and Twitter. ...or just be like Bronson and carry a bedroll.

I would not do any major work on the bike such as changing the drive belt, installing a new performance item, etc. We have all heard of glitches folks have had immediately after such changes, especially new belts breaking. You don’t need that to happen on a 3K trip. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Stick with the basics of fluid changes, new tires, minor adjustments, etc.
                              “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Doc_V
                                Doc_V commented
                                Editing a comment
                                What Shores said. Or at the very least do a couple shakedown rides of at least a 100 miles before you go. Might even be good to do a shakedown overnighter somewhere. Pack *everything* you think you'll need, including your son. Better to find out then than 1000s of miles from home.

--

Oh, hell. It's getting so complicated now, why don't you just watch some travel videos and call it a day?

--

Comment

• jd750ace
                                jd750ace commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I almost said the same after reading Doc’s last post. LOL

1. Although 400 mile days are doable, on a trip like this, especially two up, is very unrealistic. As others have noted, don't be hung up on agendas and schedule. The spotinaity (sp) of it all is what a trip like this is all about. A hardened schedule and a "must be there by then" will take much of the joy and adventure out of it.

2. From experience, the biggest challenge will be luggage and proper clothing for the various weather conditions you will encounter. This only gets better with experience. Every trip like this you will take, you'll just get better and better at it. So don't get discouraged

3. Of course stay hydrated during the day is a no brainer, but GET hydrated each morning at the hotel is paramount. Drink a couple glasses of water when you get up, and at breakfast drink a couple with your meal.

4. Unless you're traveling on the moon, I believe gas will be plentiful wherever you go. I did a similar trip with my daughter who was on her sportster (2 gal capacity). I carried extra gas for her and never used it.

5. I like the suggestions of spare money ($100 bills) and a spare key. You'll be reaching in your pockets for stuff continually, and its not uncommon to have a key unintentionally come out and fall to the ground without knowing it.

Have fun by keeping the adventure alive!!

Comment

.teather your keys out of fluorescent color parachute cord as a keychain stands out in the grass. I always have a spare set of keys attached buy parachute cord on the inside saddlebags laced through the rubber hinge limiter so you always have a key you may have to break into your own saddleback at least you got a key I think all of the roadstar saddlebag keys will work on all my roadstars I guess they didn't make too many.. differe nt locks key sets. also I haven't done here in Florida pretty much flat land I'm old school biker you're in neutral before you stop. Remember to put on the Park break leave it in gear on this freaking hills. Don't buy pop at sea level and open it on top of the mountain

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                                3,297 responses
                                3 likes
                                Last Post roadiemort  
                                Started by Mitch82, 14 hours ago
                                7 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post TimB