Potential 3000 mile summer trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential 3000 mile summer trip

Thinking about a 8 day summer trip that will encompass more or less 3000 miles 2 up with my son. Aside from tires, brakes, fluids, cables, front pulley nut, and servicing the air filter, any big ideas on items I should think about prior to hitting the road on my 80K plus mile bike? If I don't think about it now, I may not do it.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Man, that sounds like a hell of a trip. How old is your son?

As far as pre-trip maintenance; wouldn't hurt to check the condition and age of the battery and make sure you use new valve stems / inner tubes. [Don't ask me how I known this] Do a flop test to see how your steering head is. Check the barrel end at the lever for your clutch cable. I've had a couple of those go on me. I'd also bring an emergency cable end repair kit. That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

Duct tape and baling wire!
      “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Credit card & phone. Beef up the rack.

Comment

3000 miles is a lot of time in the saddle in 8 days...tire repair kit and hand pump...zp...

Comment

Cell phone, debit card and AAA Premier level w/ M/C option. That will cover everything. Stop by if you get close to Scorpion Gulch and I'll buy you both dinner.

Comment

• zingpow
              zingpow commented
              Editing a comment
              isn't scorpion gulch just north of rock ridge...

• Doc_V
              Doc_V commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto on the AAA Premier with MC coverage. [Don't ask me how I know.]

Take a spare regulator/rectifier. sunblock. hearing protection. water.

Comment

I don't know if you have ever changed your drive belt but might be a good time to give it at least a good look over. also might want to carry a $25 factory black clutch cable. Go to the dollar store and buy some cheap underwear,Tshirts and socks so you can just throw them away when dirty instead of carrying dirty cloths with you.

Cable, Clutch
              5VN-26335-10-00
              $23.71

Where are you headed on this trip? I assume KY is gonna be a stop.

Comment

Good Morning JD, Sounds like a great trip you're planning with your son. You know more about these bikes than most people, I would recommend that you have a mechanic that you trust look over the bike as a 2nd set of eyes about a week before you head out. The spare clutch cable is a good addition.

Riding 2 up with the limited cargo space, a list of RSC members with phone numbers for whatever help you might need along the way might be helpful. You never know when you might need garage space, spare parts, emergency place to stay, dinner, beer, etc

Comment

Zip ties. As well as the things mentioned already. Long road trips back in my Roadstar days invariably involved somethin vibrating/breaking loose and zip ties can get you by in a pinch. Used them several times.

Where ya going?

Comment

Gonna be in southern New England at all???

Comment

You might consider putting on a throttle lock if you don't already have one. It would give your right hand/wrist the opportunity for a break every once in a while.
                      Peace,
                      Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
                      (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

All good suggestions above. Jesse is 15, and has a well proven 400 mile day capacity on the bike. I have a regulator/rectifier and clutch cable, tire plug kits, inflator (with the correct threaded cartridges) metal cast wheel style valve stems on my sealed wheels, insurance with towing coverage, credit cards, nearly memorized database of individuals along the way, and yes, tires, brakes, steering, suspension, drive line, spark plugs, etc. are all on my checklist. Looking at 8 to 10 days (some flexibility in the schedule) to head Northwest and skirt the eastern slope of the Rockies with a northern apex of the Black Hills, to include Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Badlands, etc, then more of an interior run back down the Rockies and down the Million Dollar Highway. May even be in reverse order, but it’s early days in planning right now. Thinking June is the time. Want to ride the Durango & Silverton, so that will eat a day there. 2, maybe 3 in the Black Hills, and ride up Pikes Peak coming or going. I even considered a full service rental deal for this just to take a lot of planning off, but all anyone has is really H-Ds, which I am not interested in doing that kind of mileage on, given my lack of enthusiasm for the bikes when ridden shorter distances. 100 mile stretches or so, a 300 to 400 mile day takes all day, but is relatively easy. Throw away socks and underwear is not a terrible notion. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have anything else to add. Kyle, I found a lot less shit comes off if you limit yourself to around 80mph. Considering a new helmet too. I don’t need built in com on this one, as I won that set at the races a couple years ago, but the ability to converse is something of a “must” for this much saddle time 2 up.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

• Deerkiller
                          Deerkiller commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Definitely right about the 80mph thing and the vibrations, lol. Still, stuff can come loose unexpectedly

Sounds awesome. I would love to do the Rocky Mountain part of that trip you just described. It’s just so far away for me. Actually had a trip planned out there but life stuff happened as it does...

I'd double check that towing coverage. I had some through Progressive when I found out the hard way it only covered *30* miles. Sadly I was 70 from the nearest town when I got a flat and had to pay $400 for the tow, plus a hotel room, cab fare, and U-haul to get the bike back home. All in all it cost me $800. AAA covers ALL THAT with $1500 trip interruption. And considering I had to spend an extra week in Oregon this past summer, waiting on my bike to be repaired, that came in real handy. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Comment

I have a nice trunk you can use. Bolts right on. I had the mounts reinforced as it broke once. It's black so should look okay on your bike, unless you enter a bike show! Wiring plugs into the main harness under the seat. Also has a rack on top if you find some goodies along the way to take home. Lockable and holds two open face helmets. Would be nice for the passenger on those long days. Let me know if interested. we could meet somewhere in the middle as shipping would be pricey. Maybe pick it up along the way? The Black Hills are only a six hour ride for me. If interested I know most of the roads around the hills. I understand though if you want to discover them as you go!!

On a side note there is a Yamaha dealer in Sturgis and Rapid City.

Comment

If your going to be doing mountain riding I would make sure you have at least fairly fresh brake fluid. I have seen people loose their brakes coming down a mountain because the old fluid get to hot and started boiling the moisture in the lines (best way I can explain it)
                            One thing I also do ishttps://dayton.craigslist.org/mpo/d/road-star-saddlebags-and/6762786955.html stash some extra money (or prepaid gas card) somewhere (maybe tape it under the seat) that way if anything happens and you loose your wallet or it gets stolen, you still have a way to get gas to get you somehwere safe.
                            Sounds like a great trip.
                            owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

Comment

Brake fluid doesn't boil because you have moisture in the lines it boils when you ride a disc brakes. Better to pump it at intervals not to hold it gradually which is called riding the brake I did just that with my Jeep Cherokee the brake fluid boiled the pedal went to the floor nothing and my kids said that something's burning it was the brake fluid but after it cooled off it was fine I stopped at the gas station and ask for advice pump the brakes don't ride them. But back to the packing I won't leave home without it starter brush plate and some sort of gas can ..even if it's only a quart you can get hiking cans fit in bags don't leak. And check your brake pads before you go

Comment

We have done a 7 day 3000-4000 mile ride every summer for the past 6 summers. It is one of the most liberating feelings to be on the open road, thousand miles from home, and turn left when you were planning on turning right. So many small town burger and shake shacks to visits, monuments, and museums if you are into that sort of thing. We would always stop the world’s largest ball of yarn and any other oddity worth checking out. Many of the tips on here are excellent I will just highlight a few.

The clutch cable? Oh yeah bring one. And for good measure lube the one that’s on your bike now.

Get a cup holder. Silly I know but riding in the high temps and being able to not only stay hydrated while riding, but get something cool is always nice. Most restaurants or gas stations will let you fill it up with ice water.

The Yamaha service department in Sturgis is outstanding. I was there last summer on my HD and they replaced my rear tire for way cheaper than the Harley dealer wanted.

If this is your first ride don’t bite off more miles that you can chew. Doing 400 mile days is easy at first until you get to the end of your trip, especially with a rider. Factor in highway vs country road. You can do 400 miles on the freeway in no time flat, but 400 miles of back country 35-50mps will add up over time. Just relax and enjoy the ride! Don’t get too caught up in agendas and details! As long as you know you will make it to the next fuel station, you are golden!

Comment

Flush and refill the blinker fluid, check the wiper blades, and flip the muffler bearings . . . . . . . Sounds like a great trip JD. Pretty much the same route my wife and I are talking about taking except we had not considered Durango & Silverton and Pikes Peak. We were thinking of swinging northwest enough to get to Custer's Battlefield at the Little Big Horn and by Crazy Horse Monument. Talk to Bob if you have not, after his 17 day or so trip from St. Louis to Alaska and back this summer, he ought to have a couple ideas!

Comment

I second the advice about the extra fuel can. I bought a 1 gallon can on my last trip due to uncertainty of open gas stations along the way , and my tendency to see if I could go a little further before filling up. ALWAYS check the weather channel at your hotel/motel before starting out each day, and , in my case, take several camelback -like hydration packs, filling them with ice and water each morning. I'll add more later.

Comment

• Doc_V
                                      Doc_V commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Good call on the hydration pack, [jsut make sure it has a good mouthpiece before you head out [Don't ask me how I know.] If you're jacket has a spine pad, chance are you can fit the hydration pack in there.. For the real hot days, fill them with ice and stick them in the spine pad pocket so the pack is directly on your back. Helps a ton.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                                  3,297 responses
                                  3 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by Mitch82, 14 hours ago
                                  7 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post TimB
                                  by TimB