Dodgy looking manifold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy looking manifold

So as some of you know I had a miss now and again at idle so have pulled the tank off to .Put new plugs in and found my manifold looking like this..I've never heard it ping or anything like that but that looks like shite to me..is it normal for them to look that bad
    If you zoom in you can see what I mean..

That's one of the down falls on our RS, the rubber manifolds crack over time. The rubber is very thick, and I myself, haven't seen one with a crack all the way through.
    When the engine is running, spray a little starting fluid on the cracks, if the engine revs up, the manifold is leaking.

Comment

• Fat pete
      Fat pete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate

• Duke
      Duke commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember, not to spray starting fluid where it will get into the carburetor intake, just on the cracks.

Pulled the plugs today and they where all looking black and rich.except maybe the electrode on one of the front ones..

Comment

Don't worry to much about the manifold cracks as they are all like that ,I put some silastic goo on mine and haven't looked at it for years, as for the plugs put some new ones in and ride, I change mine every so many years wether they need it or not, If you put a 35.5 pilot jet, think that's right for a 1600 in the carb it will sort itself out,

Comment

• Fat pete
        Fat pete commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers mate

Both intake and plugs look pretty normal. Just don't remove the intake, because once you do, it's real pain to get it to seal properly. Did you have a chance to try the paper towel SVS test?
      Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

No haven't had a chance yet doc..did the plugs and took the wife out as its the last chance we will have to get out b4 she goes into hospital and they say could be uptoo a 8week recovery...we rode all over the countryside and the bike was running sweet all day..idles well at the moment alltho I must say I am concerned re the manifold....how would I know if the manifold is causing issues??as in how would it make the bike run??

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you replace the manifold. My reasoning is two-fold...first that manifold shows serious signs of distress with visible cracks in multiple areas across the top surface and who knows how bad the rest of it is. Secondly, "if" the sealing surface and O-ring are of equal quality then it easily justifies further inspection and repair or replacement of any defective parts. You can do as you like but given the evidence of that photo I'd be inclined to spend a few hours and a few bucks to make sure it didn't lead to problems in the future. Just my .02 cents

Comment

If your manifold was leaking, you'd be running lean from the extra air, more so on one side than the other. You'd also get a lot of popping on decel. To get an idea what that would be like you can always remove the vacuum line from the top of the manifold.

The typical way to test for leaks, is like Duke said, spray some ether based starter fluid around the manifold, from the pump side, not the air filter side. If the idle momentarily climbs,you've got a leak... But I doubt you do, they *all* get cracked like that. In fact, below is a spare someone sent me. They bought a new one because they saw the cracks and thought theirs was leaking too; only to find out the manifold was fine... It may look pretty bad from the outside...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0052.JPG Views:	1 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	47154

...but the rubber is *thick* and the cracks don't go all the way through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0058.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	47158

It's really thick:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0055.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	47155

And it also has cast aluminum flanges embedded in it that go back to about where the crack forms:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0053.JPG Views:	1 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	47156

And if it hasn't been removed, then the mating surface and o-ring are just fine, removing it is what causes the problems... Once you do, all bets are off. I know, because I chased a bad seal for more than a year, even though, on multiple occasions, I did all the things that are supposed to seal the mating surface; like sealant, polishing the mating surface, custom fiber gaskets, etc. The cracks were never the issue... It was all me from messing with it.

And if it were me again, and it passes the starter fluid test, I'd leave it alone.
            Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

The cracks don't go all the way thru until they do. Get a new one.

Comment

Here you go, this is a good example of how to test for SVS:

Comment

I have fixed cracks like that in these manifolds with Liquid Rubber. Works well.

Comment

Hey Pete, your manifold looks almost new compared to mine when I bought my '03. It was cracked deep all around the whole thing. No disrespect to anyone here, but I chose to replace it. And it wasn't leaking. But I kept it and repaired it for a spare. I also ported the new manifold per the instructions here on the clinic. I'm sure that your manifold is probably ok, but its your decision to make as to your peace of mind where your bike is concerned. I bought mind from BikeBandit with new factory orings.
                    Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

iput a set of plugs in and she doesnt miss anymore..but after giving her a hard run on the weekend when cruising at 120kmph i noticed a bit of surging..normal speed limit is 100kmph around here and normally the missus would be on the back..at 100kmph it is even harder to detect the surging but i can just feel it..if im giving the bikea bit of a fanging and then knock it back thru the gears to first gear i can occasionally get a backfire thru one of the pipes but again its rare for it to doit and if i ride at normal speeds it hasnt done it yet..i am going to change the pipes and filter am just waiting now for a inlet manifold even tho i dont know if i really need one..got a can of engine start today so will dothe leak test and see how that comes up..ive been putting everythng off for a while now while the wife recovers from her operation and we got xmas coming,,i also have to talk my soninlaw into making me up a bracket for the exhaust...just dont know wetha its safe to ride at the moment with the tiny bit of surging going on..hasnt shit itself yet tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Fat pete View Post
                        iput a set of plugs in and she doesnt miss anymore..but after giving her a hard run on the weekend when cruising at 120kmph i noticed a bit of surging..normal speed limit is 100kmph around here and normally the missus would be on the back..at 100kmph it is even harder to detect the surging but i can just feel it..if im giving the bikea bit of a fanging and then knock it back thru the gears to first gear i can occasionally get a backfire thru one of the pipes but again its rare for it to doit and if i ride at normal speeds it hasnt done it yet..i am going to change the pipes and filter am just waiting now for a inlet manifold even tho i dont know if i really need one..got a can of engine start today so will dothe leak test and see how that comes up..ive been putting everythng off for a while now while the wife recovers from her operation and we got xmas coming,,i also have to talk my soninlaw into making me up a bracket for the exhaust...just dont know wetha its safe to ride at the moment with the tiny bit of surging going on..hasnt shit itself yet tho...
                        Sounds like it’s starving for fuel at high speed. Carb guys can help you.
                        “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by divewelder, 13 hours ago
                        13 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post davej
                        by davej

Started by zingpow, 1 week ago
                        32 responses