weird crap going on with the roady

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird crap going on with the roady

so the last few times ive started my bike i pull the choke out fully and then let her warm up for a bit..as she is warming up i can hear like a tink tink noise every so often as it warms up..now i thought it was just metal expanding as when i turn her off she seems to make the same noise..anyhow last night i started her up and was being a dickhead and touching the factory exhaust covers by pressing a rag onto them to see if i could shut that tink tink noise up..well i pressed up near the head where the exhaust bolts into the port and the rag freekn melted onto the exhaust so i spent the evening trying to get that crap off the pipe which i ended up getting off..anyhow i starts her up and notice that every now and then the back cylinder has a miss..last time the wife and i rode on the weekend i noticed itd miss every now and then at idle but only as she was warming up .. but when we hit the hiway and we where out all day no miss at all..anyhow i was listening last night and she is idling away and had this occassional miss again only at idle so id give her a rev with the choke off and noticed a lot of black smoke when i revved her..so i turned her off and as she came to a stop with the key turned off the back cylinder backfired pretty damned loud..scared the crap outve the wife who was down in the house..man buggered if i know whats going on there..the bike is 100percent stock..ill try some new plugs..the bike had been sitting for quite a while before i bought her..i have reciepts for plugs that where put in the year 2007..lol..its done 11000 kms since they where fitted..the bike looks like new and only has 22000kms on her from new..im not sure how far that is in miles..

Hey Pete, could be a couple things. The idle skip could be SVS. [Sticky Valve Syndrome] Easiest way to check is to hold a paper towel or napkin from the top and let it hang down right behind the rear cylinder exhaust outlet. If when it skips, the paper gets sucked in, you have SVS... Also check the simple stuff, like spark plug connectors.

The "ting ting" noise could be something else. Check the exhaust bolts aren't loose, just don't over tighten them, because you can bend the flange.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Sounds like SVS. Isn’t the 2005 model the most susceptible to SVS?
      “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Svs ...well that sounds just dandy..sheet..so the head would have to come off then ??and here's me thinking the bike was Gunna be trouble free..I haven't had a good week so far been in hospital and now the wife has to go in for a operation and sounds like the bike might need to go into hospital for a operation as well...

Comment

Put a new set of plugs in it and ride. Also put a fuel treatment like Seafoam in the gas. You are gonna find the rear spark plug carbon foulded. These things are jetted a bit rich from the factory and what you are describing is a result of that. No need to get in a tizzy or think too much about it. It isn't SVS on an 07.

Sorry I glanced up to see what year you said your bike was and seen 2007, when I looked back I see that was when the plugs were new.lol On an 05 you may have a SVS issue if it is a 1700. Not sure if the issue was on the Wildstars if that is what you have.

Comment

• Fat pete
            Fat pete commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine is a 05. Not a 07..I've never heard of seafoam in Australia but I'll suss it out..do I need to get into a tizzy with it being a 05?.,,don't want to damage anything..

Additional Info

Have just bought a cobra 2-1 exhaust and a K&N air big air filter.also some risers.just got to jet the carb now and find a seat I can sit on for longer than 20miles..
          This is from your posted stats, did you ever rejet? Yamaha makes a product called Ringfree or something like that you might be able to get down under, your 05 is a 1600cc correct? ride the snot out of it, these bikes don't like to be babied.

Comment

• Fat pete
            Fat pete commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi roadiemort,no I haven't done the rejet yet..I've been layed up and had a stint in hospital..just got back on my feet..was also wanting to remove the AIS so ordered the barons kit to do that while I was at it..tracked it today and it's in Sydney so should be here in a couple of days..my wife goes into hospital next week for a pretty major surgery so we wanted to go for a ride on the weekend before she goes in for the operation..I've only just noticed this miss and it's only at cold idle..with the choke out it's sweet if I put the choke in while it's still a bit cold it'll idle fine but every now and then it'll have a miss..as soon as I ride it she seems all good again and when we pull up after a long ride and let her idle while I'm parking her she doesn't miss...I just bought some new plugs and a new fuel filter just got to actually get up the shed and do it..I just wanna go for a ride .thanks for the reply fellas it's all appreciated

No need to panic just yet. Chances are you wont' have to pull the heads. If you can, try to find some "Seafoam Deep Creep Spray". It'a a penetrating oil. Read Curt's SVS Cure for details on the procedure.

Comment

• Fat pete
            Fat pete commented
            Editing a comment
            I've just seen that seafoam deepcreep spray available in Australia thru some one on eBay it comes with another seafoam product called sf16 upper engine cleaner ..should I buy the pair of them..about 60 .00.. Australian

not sure if this is the right stuff as it doesn't say deepcreep

Comment

Wait a sec I just found this...this looks like the right stuff..$31 Australia dollars

Comment

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, 4 to 6 U.S. dollars if iI'm not mistaken.

Thats the right stuff to spray it inside the intake and exhaust ports.

Comment

Yep, that's the stuff in the second photo. Wouldn't hurt to buy some regular old Seafoam too, [the can on the right in the first photo] as a gas additive to help prevent SVS from returning. Most of us here add a couple ounces every few fill ups. I go through a couple cans a year. Alternatively, if you can find it cheaper, Marvel Mystery Oil works good too as a gas additive for prevention.

Comment

You said the bike had been sitting. The carb can get gummed up when sitting for 60 days or more, especially if the gas has some alcohol content. Remove the float bowl and check for debris .

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA DO WHAT DAVE J SAYS ...............................AND CLEAN CHECK AIR FILTER FOR DIRT OR NESTS, and make sure throttle cables are not shorting/grounding out the right side coil under the tank where it passes and rubs on hot coil 12v lead.
                  the haha was for not riding da bitch.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                  2,852 responses
                  3 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by zingpow, 5 days ago
                  35 responses
                  0 likes