Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a Roadstar.

Hi everyone, new guy here.
    I'm looking at a used Roadstar and I was wondering if there is anything I may need to be aware of? Any known issues? What about longevity?
    Sorry for all the questions but I've always ridden Vulcans.
    Thanks for any input.

from Southeast Texas

What year model are you looking at?
    99-02 might still have a recall that needs to be done.

Comment

What year is the Roadie you are looking at?

Comment

Rock solid and extremely reliable. Great soul and torque. Not a speed monster. Easy 150-200K miles without issues have been recorded. Read this entire thread below and report back for the 250 question final exam!

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check
        “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Duke
          Duke commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Shores, What if we fail the exam? I have a apple!

Guess I should have put the year in.
        I'm actually looking at 2 different bikes. One is a 2009 (an S model, whatever that means), the other is a 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Malleck View Post
          I'm actually looking at 2 different bikes. One is a 2009 (an S model, whatever that means), the other is a 2006.
          The 06 is one of the better carbonated bikes due to electronic and other minor mechanical improvements. (05-07). The 09 is the second year of fuel injected and very reliable. Both are 1700s.

Comment

From California.

Both are good years. As Shores said, 2006 is carbureted and 2009 is fuel injected. If you're looking for turnkey reliability, the fuel injected bike is they way to go and will be worth a few more bucks down the road. If you're into performance and tuning, then definitely get the carbureted. Of course this assumes miles, price and condition are similar. The fuel injected bike does have fewer choices in aftermarket exhaust, but there are still plenty of good options.

And definitely read the link Shores provided.
            Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Here’s the fuelie info for newbies.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...ion-facts-tips

Comment

What's the mileage on both bikes and the money? We will help you there also. Where are you? Prices vary around the country. I have an '06, I paid $2500 for it 6 years ago and have had no troubles whatsoever. It has almost 60K on it and I expect to get another 120k out of it if I live that long. There are a few guys on here with over 200K and still going. Hard to beat these bikes for dependability.

Comment

I have an 03 1600 built in july of 2002 with 41000 miles on it. I have owned it just over a year now and I am the third owner. I ride whenever I can. I have owned all the major brands of motorcycles over the years, but the road star without a doubt has been the best bikes that I have owned. As far as I am concerned, the road star is the closest to being a perfect bike. They have character, soul, life. They are very dependable, ride good, handle good, performance is good, sound good, travel good. I am looking at another one also. This is the second road star I have owned. The first one was an 07 1700 midnight Silverado. I bought it used also, it had 900 miles on the clock. The guy I bought it from didn't like it. I paid $2700 for it in 2010 and it was loaded with chrome and accessories. Find one and pull the trigger on it. These are great bikes. It's a shame that they quit making them.
                  Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Give us links to the bikes your looking at or at least the prices because there are some R*'s that are overpriced and some that are priced to sell being great deals out there which i just experienced 3/2018.

I bought a 1 owner 2012 silevrado s with 1,250 original miles on it in like new cond for $5,800 (off craigs list) on $7,200ish book value when at the same time i was seeing 5-7 yr older 2005-2007 (non EFI R*'s) R*'s with a lot more miles on them being advertised for $4,800-$5,000+.

When i sold my supper clean 06 silverado (just turned 25k miles) in 5/2015 with new michelin 2 tires,new brakes,new battery,hvy dty hi capacity battery-starter cables,road burner longshot pipes,tune up,new air & fuel filters,motor & x-fer case oil changed,tach,lower chaps,widscreen & leather bags,barons rear shock spring upgrade, & more
                    and it took months to sell it advertising in mult places getting best offer of $4,000 on if i remember correctly an approx $5,200 book value at the time over 3.5yrs ago.

I bought that 06 Sileverado with 4,700 miles on it in like new cond from original owner 3yr's old in 2009 for $6k on i think was a $7,200 book value at the time off ebay.

I had also seen 08-09 R*'s w- EFI in good cond with fairly low miles for yr advertised in approx same $4,800-$5,200 price range being much better deals IMHO then the older carb'd R*'s of which i used to own which was my 1st R* that was an 06 Silverado.

Nothing wrong with carb'd R*'s at all but yami seem'd to do well when they brought EFI to the R*& that seems to work well on my 2012 R* & like the multiple benefits that come with having EFI vs an old school carb.

So my point is dont rush getting a R* and take the time to look on Ebay,craigs list,motorcycles online etc and you will likely find some really good deals on R*'s in the next wk or so esp with winter season coming.

Dont go below a 2005 because they had a weaker charging system,a transmission issue on earlier R*'s requiring large tear down by dealer to correct & more so no good reason to go for an older R* if you can afford an 05 or newer R*.

Scott

Comment

"The first one was an 07 1700 midnight Silverado. I bought it used also, it had 900 miles on the clock. The guy I bought it from didn't like it. I paid $2700 for it in 2010 and it was loaded with chrome and accessories."

Wow,that's a smoking deal for a loaded 3yr old R* Silverado with only 900miles on it!

Thats just another example of the great deals avail out there on R*'s.

Scott

Comment

• TwinCreeks1600
                        TwinCreeks1600 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I found out about the '07 from a friend that told me that he had heard this bike might be for sale. It had not be advertised anywhere. I called the man, he was 65 years old, and asked him if he was indeed selling it. He said he was thinking about it, that he never liked it. He bought it new from the local dealer. I asked if I could come look at it and he said yes. I went and looked at it. I was totally amazed. It still had the original exhaust on it. I asked what he was asking for it, knowing I was going to be disappointed. I almost crapped my pants when he told me If I could give him $2700 I could have it. I had $3500 cash in my pocket because I had been looking at a wrecked '69 Camaro SS, which was already gone, I paid him and loaded it on the trailer. His next door neighbor was a notary, we did the title and I had my first Road Star. I changed the exhaust the next week, and I put 48000 on it. I sold it due to needing money due to health issues with my wife having a stroke 5 years ago and becoming disabled, and therefore loosing her income. I hated to sell it but it kept us in our house longer than we would have. Then last year I found the '03. Better paying job now. Life is good again, but yes I can truly say I stole that '07.

If you've got ads for the bikes, that you could share, that would be really helpful. Post a link if you can.

Comment

Well apparently the S model I was looking at is sold. Didn't think it would be around long but damn! It was posted yesterday and gone today!
                        Here are a couple more I'm looking at.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...722657959.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/d...747511712.html

I'm in no real hurry. Just looking for a good deal.
                        Thanks for all the replies and help!

Comment

Keep looking and find one with all the add ons for same price. Not too many aftermarket parts around. Good luck!

Comment

Well apparently the S model I was looking at is sold. Didn't think it would be around long but damn! It was posted yesterday and gone today!

That 2011 is an "S" model also and fuel injected but the Power Commader has to go. The stock ECU on the Road Stars works much better than any other aftermarket fuel injection controllers. It's a very nice looking bike but his asking price is kind of high. Watch that one closely to see if he comes back down to reality and starts dropping his price. It's been on CL for a month now so he is probably going to start getting eager to sell it. The seller has done some nice upgrades.

If you're not in a hurry, keep looking as prices usually come down over the winter months. I have had a carbureted RS and now an 2009 fuel injection one. I will never go back to a carbureted one unless it's ridiculously cheap. Don't get me wrong. The carbed ones are nice too. Very dependable and strong. It's just my preference now to ride the FI ones. I got my 2009 last January 2018. I got a good deal. Actually I stole it. You don't even want to know what I paid for it. I have put about 3 grand into it since I got it and could still sell it for a profit. Remember, cash talks.

Fuel injected Roadies started in 2008 and continued until end of production.

Also, if you are on Facebook, check out the Marketplace.

Comment

=============================================

Almost $4k asking price for a 13+ yr old 05 Carb'd R* vs a 6 yr newer 2011 R* with a little over 6k miles (23k less miles then the 05 R*) with EFI too for asking price of is it $6,800 is a no brainer if you can afford the 2011.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had cash in hand that you could get the 2011R* for maybe $6k if your lucky especially since it books for $6,200ish.

The owner may be asking more due to add ons/accessories but when talking motorcycle sales value more often then not you dont get back what you invested into the addons/accessories so i would not pay over book value for that reason because its not justified.(i pasted below nada book value).

Keep in mind i got a 1yr newer 2012 R* Silverado S with only 1,250 original miles on it in like new cond for $5,800 ($7,200ish book value @ the time) almost a yr ago which shows better deals are out there like i stated earlier in this same thread.

But the 2011 your looking at with only 6k+ miles on it wouldnt be a bad deal if you can get it for a bit under $6K or $6k on it's $6,200 book value if you plan to keep it for the long haul sort of speak.

But $6,800 or close to 6,800 is too much for that bike esp since there are better deals on R*'s out there if you are a little patient to look around a bit more online over the next few wks .

So if the guy isnt ready to get realisitic to reduce his price when all R*'s i see that actually sell these days go for on avg $1k (+ - a bit) below book value & he's @ $600 above book value to start so the bike is actually priced $1,600 above other R's* of same approx yr range & cond being too much money from actual prices i see R*'s selling for showing their true market value.

And that include R*'s i saw that sold back in June/July/Aug in better time to sell a bike so now that we are heading into winter season that 2011 R* Silverado S should be priced a few buck less going into winter season.

Good Luck!

Scott

NADA Book Value:

Values
                              Suggested
                              List Price
                              Low
                              Retail
                              Average
                              Retail
                              Base Price $15,490 $4,740 $6,235
                              Options (Add)
                              Total Price $15,490 $4,740 $6,235

Comment

It's good you are not in a hurry. Also, the further you are willing to travel for one, the more good deals you can find. These bikes aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. If you find one you really like, low-ball the living shit out of it and just wait it out. You may miss one or two but it's the best way to get the best deal.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by divewelder, 12 hours ago
                                13 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post davej
                                by davej

Started by zingpow, 1 week ago
                                32 responses
                                0 likes