Whats your plans for your bike????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your plans for your bike????

Well as much as it sucks its getting that time where its getting wayyyyyyyyyy to cold to ride. (I'm in southern idaho) just about time to start breaking down the bike and start on all the mini projects I have planned for the bike while I can't ride .I just was curious as to what and if anyone else has some plans for theirs while it's parked. I got alot of work to do myself but half of it is already sent off getting powder coated. Lets hear what ya got!

Put gas in it and check the tires. Nothing left to do. I ride year round on dry days that reach 45 or higher here in the PNW.
    “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Well my bike is currently failing the flop test so I will be addressing that here real soon hopefully, maybe throwing in the race tech upgrade. If I can find the extra money this holiday season( 4 kids Xmas ha that’ll be easy to do ) I will be contacting smokescreen for the all important Roadwing upgrade also. Maybe I’ll get lucky and Ole Santa Smokescreen will leave one under the tree this year. I’m pretty sure I’ve been good, at least haven’t been caught being bad yet....

Comment

• Smokescreens
        Smokescreens commented
        Editing a comment
        santa smokes seen how you behave yourself. santa smokes confirms that you have been really good this year........at being bad, lol.

This winter, I’m planning some tasks. I plan to clean up the spokes on the wheels. New wheel bearings. Reinforce the subframe. I’m considering looking for some new fenders. I like the rolling look of the Indian fenders. New paint scheme. New grips. New bars if these don’t clean up well. New throttle control and housing. Basically anything that doesn’t clean up well I plan to replace. I only paid $1600 for the bike so I have some room to make it nicer. Especially doing everything myself. Should keep me busy.

Comment

Looking for Thunderheader for my '01 Midnight

Comment

Ride 'em !!
          I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Since my bike is new to me I plan to go through checklist pointed out for newbies. 1st projects include all fluid changes. Check on drive pulley .

Remove AIS and install crank case vent. Possibly relocate fuel pump.

Comment

If it ain't rainin, I'm ridin... but there's always "something" to do. I've finished with most of the major mods, now it's more about refining; squeaks, rattles, creaks, dialing out the dips in throttle response, etc. But of course there still the damage that was done to my bike by a towing company, forks are shot, both fenders are scratched to hell; but I'm still battling with the insurance to get them to pay. God forbid you bike is ever damaged out of your site. But that's another story for another time.

Comment

Change my ugly $1800 investment to something that looks a little bit more like the bobber in the pic

Comment

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet bobber Rob, nicely done! You ticked all the right boxes.

I just added new photos hope to have it running soon. I want it to be show worthy

Comment

• highvoltage
                  highvoltage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's looking real nice and clean. Nice job.

• Rob in FL
                  Rob in FL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks ! It's getting closer

Hey Lance,

lol. That's just what I would like it to look like. I'm not even close to that yet, but thanks anyways. I'll take a compliment anyway I can get it

Comment

Well if I get some OT I will be getting canyon cages for the front, new exhaust, better air filter, and maybe custom tunes to get rid of the pesky low top speed limiter thats at 160.
                  2018 Kawasaki Concours 14

Comment

Originally posted by Messer2.0 View Post
                    ...maybe custom tunes to get rid of the pesky low top speed limiter thats at 160.

Comment

• Messer2.0
                      Messer2.0 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What?

• Doc_V
                      Doc_V commented
                      Editing a comment
                      160 mph ain't fast enough for you??? I've done 155 on a bike [closed course of course] and if i'd lifted my head above the tiny little "windscreen", my head would have snapped back and I would have flown off the bike, I can't imagine the need to go MORE than 160... But hey, to each his own. BTW, can I have your R* when you die?

• Messer2.0
                      Messer2.0 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can have it if you can find who owns it and buy it lol

Getting my fairing back from paint and installing it with the sound system, and all the little do-dads like turn signal indicators, USB plugs and a 12v outlet. Bought the bike last January and the fairing paint was peeling. The seller brought the fairing back to the painter since he promised to redo it. First time I stopped to see the status last February, the painter told me that he used the paint that the guy I bought the bike from gave him . Said he usually won't warranty paint that isn't his but he would make good on it. Stopped in at least once a month every month and got one pile of excuses after another. He's an amazing painter but his life is one big $#%##$ show. Stopped in 2 weeks ago and the fairing had been stripped and is now primed so I'm getting closer. I have been super patient with him since he could easily tell me to take a hike. Hopefully over the winter it will be finished paint and on my bike for the spring.

Comment

• Doc_V
                      Doc_V commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You know you've got to post photos when you get it back, don't you?

• D-Fresh
                      D-Fresh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto on the pics of the new paint.

• grubsie
                      grubsie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have been dying to post pics all year. I can guarantee you that as soon as I iget the fairing back and installed, Pics will be posted ASAP!

Not much this year. Might add the die cast passing light bar. Planning to help a friend rebuild his wrecked Road Glide this winter.

Comment

Roadwing on route
                      Barnett clutch going in this winter as well as new touring seats from E D seats and possibly a Razr trunk
                      Attached Files

Comment

2012 Silverado,plan to do " some needed improvements " like for example installing progressive std height fork springs to improve handling -reduce fork dive & firm them up a bit,install a speedo healer to correct reading 3-4mph higher then actual speed,install RoadWing i got from Smokescreen's to improve control-handling-ride,install a new set of Michelin C2's for much improved handling & 2x-2.5x more tire mileage then most tires,install a tach just because i want it but not really needed.

1st thing i installed was a Jag fan assist oil cooler to help cool the oil & motor a bit in hot summer heat because we all know R*'s have a tendency to run hot especially when in summer cond's in slow moving traffic or at mult stop lights.

Then i removed crankcase breather from air cleaner & installed an external crankcase breather w-small cleanable type K&N filter
                        the exits under the bike not in line with rear tire so no oil mist that could possibly be emitted from it oiling up the rear tire causing
                        a big problem!/LOL!!

Now the air filter will still cleaner longer and motor wont have to ingest over heated crankcase gases full of hot oil mist anymore too that also cause excessive carbon buildup in combustion chambers on pistons/valves and in intake system & throttle body too.

Also installed inner thigh/crotch coolers to reduce searing heat a bit that coming from motor & exhaust that was cooking me.

Installed Ultimate Seats too!

Then after i get all the above installed & dialed in will i maybe look for a set of mild not too loud fairly quiet sounding aftermarket slipons & or complete new pipes/exhaust system.

But for now here in upstate NY it's time to fill the R* with fresh fuel treated with marine grade stabil,then ride for approx 12-15 miles to ensure treated fuel gets thru entire fuel system and park it in the garage for the winter with maint charger next to bike to put on it every 3-4wks to charge the battery and then remove it a day or so later after it reaches full charge & has gone into float mode..

If wondering why i don't leave the maint/float charger on the battery in my bikes or classic car 24/7 for wks or months at a time is because they can be hard on batteries at times esp newer gen AGM batteries that by design require less electrolyte making them a bit more at risk of drying out leading to premature failure.

That's an issue i found to be real (with some maint/float chargers but not all!) from 1st hand experience wrenching bikes & classic cars for myself & many other people i maintain bikes and classic cars for too for just shy of 5 decades so have a good background to source from.

So i figure why push it and dont use maint/float chargers 24/7 and always get above avg srv'c life out of my bike & classic car batteries following that charging process.

One more thing,almost forgot to mention i also have a Speedstar clutch spring with 20-25% additional spring tension/clamping force sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting to be installed if/when the day the stock inferior eom clutch spring weakens enough to allow the clutch to slip.

Bike just went over 5k miles so hopefully i have a while before that happens with me being a conservative rider that doesnt hammer it much along with also going into neutral and releasing clutch handle at all stoplights too.

What that does is significantly extend clutch spring life because it's not always under full tension clutch release at lights with the clutch handle held in/dis-engaged for x-amount of mins at every stoplight time after time/day after day that prematurely weakens it.

Happy Motoring!

Scott

Comment

• Doc_V
                          Doc_V commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What did you use for the heat guard? Did you make it yourself or buy it? Also, why not just disconnect the batt and charge it in the spring when you're ready to ride again?

• grubsie
                          grubsie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "Also installed inner thigh/crotch coolers to reduce searing heat a bit that coming from motor & exhaust that was cooking me."

After owning a 2013 HD Ultra 103, I don't even notice any heat from my 09 RS, but those heat deflectors do look cool. That HD would literally cook my thigh and my wife's right foot and shin.

Hi Doc,Got the thigh heat deflectors on Ebay.

They were pricey but are well made,fit well and reduced heat on thighs some too so like them.

See below for info

On battery,i wont let it sit for from November thru late May or early June without charging because doing that can lead to sulfation & premature failure.

So i leave the battery in the bike and approx every 3ks i simply plug in the1.5amp maint/float charger to the quick connector and leave it on till i later see it go's into float mode when battery hits full charge or a day later,which ever comes 1s.

But for reasons i already stated above in this thread i never leave a maint/float charger 24/7 on an AGM motorcycle battery, but a much larger std lead acid car battery that by design has a lot more electrolight is a diff story when it comes to leaving a small 1.5amp float/maint charger on it 24/7.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                          Father Pobasturd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          OMG! $150.00 for those heat deflectors? That's ridiculous.

This past two weeks I finally finished the new front fender with paint and stripes. And then installed the new pipes and the chrome rear caliper as well as the rotor cover and brake line. So what is left is the new handle bars and it is all done.
                        Go ahead, I dare ya.

Comment

Ride it!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                          2,852 responses
                          3 likes
                          Last Post roadiemort  
                          Started by zingpow, 5 days ago