Good cornering cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cornering cruiser

I posted a similar question in the welcome forum but thought I would post the question in this section to elicit more great input. I’m looking for a Yamaha cruiser (1300 cc up) that has good cornering clearance? I know that’s not necessarily what they’re made for but I want a cruiser with the ability to ride spiritedly on back roads. I’ll take input for other brands also. Thanks!

The members here now, and who have moved on, who have gravitated towards a more spirited approach to riding, usually end up in the Honda camp. We have a number of f6b fans here, who push the limits.
    As happy as we are with the Roadie, it has its limitations. You’ll be dragging boards before you get to your happy place, if you love the twisties.

Comment

• SKWEARpeg
      SKWEARpeg commented
      Editing a comment
      We had a member(Silverfox??) posted a night time vid of himself doing lazy circles while dragging his boards. It was pretty funny.

• Father Pobasturd
      Father Pobasturd commented
      Editing a comment
      You can raise the boards but the frame will still drag.

• dustybin
      dustybin commented
      Editing a comment
      ived had the boards scraping but not the frame , the back seams fairly stiff , the front need a major overhaul

What is your budget?

Comment

Goldwing handles good for a big bike. If you really want a sport touring bike....Kawi Concours 14

Comment

• Deerkiller
        Deerkiller commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah yes. Forgot about that one for some reason. Messer 2.0 on here just got one of those. Maybe he will see this and give a review of his Concours. Definitely something to look in to as well.

Even the F6B is very limited on cornering clearance. Although it is better than the Roadstar for sure. And it gets up and goes much faster. It’s a superb long distance bike (as is the full Goldwing). You can still have some decent fun in the curvy roads but you really need to dial back the corner speed because hard parts touch down pretty fast. Rain protection is second to none on this bike also. Smooth as you can imagine at any speed.

Harley Street Glide/Road King/etc with suspension upgrades actually have decent cornering clearance. They can also get up and go pretty good when the motor is upgraded. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I suspect that the BMW 1600 touring/cruisers have decent cornering clearance and really have some get up and go in stock form.

In the Yamaha category, FJR1300 should be on your radar. They don’t make a v-twin cruiser that’s good for cornering at decent speeds. I have never actually ridden a FJR but I have ridden behind one in the mountains on my F6B and I’m here to tell you that the FJR is way better in the corners. Not as good for rain/wind protection. As is anything in life, there is a trade-off from one thing to the next.

As far as cruisers go, F6B is what I ride for a reason. Every time I think I need a faster, better cornering bike I realize that I’ll need something that resembles a sport bike to be happy and then I give up certain comfort aspects.

Yamaha MT-10 is on my wish list for sure. I think you can even fit bags on them...

Comment

I have a zrx1200 so I’m not looking to replace that with the Fjr or Connie. I just want a cruiser for those lazy days but I want to be able to lean it a bit in the twisties. I’m not looking to ride a cruiser like my zrx. Just want be able to have some spirited rides if the occasion calls for it. And I’m looking for used. $10,000 max. I like the F6B platform. Great deals on the F6C right now.

Comment

Find a decent low mile used F6B and you’ll most likely be happy with it

Comment

Once again, I defer to the BMW K1600B. No cornering issues, 160 horsepower, plus it just looks bad ass. $10K would be a good down payment on one. If money were no issue there would be one in my garage.

Comment

• dustybin
              dustybin commented
              Editing a comment
              love the look and the hsp of the bm, the panniers , exhaust and side fairing would have to go but nice bike

I cant speak for the "true" lean angle on it but I am way more comfortable leaning the Chieftain over then I was on the R*. Also being on the Indian forums those guys tell me that the Chief and Springfield has a different rake and a better lean angle. Not sure if you want a faired and bagged bike or not but they can be had somewhat affordably. I got my 2015 Chieftain with under 2000 miles for 13,995

Comment

I'm with Deerkiller. You can find a nice F6b for 10 K. You wont be disappointed. I love mine.

Comment

Obviously, you will never find a "cruiser" that handles like a sport bike. But if you're going for the cruiser style, you can still have plenty of fun. Like I said in my previous post, I hang with sport bikes in the twisty canyon roads no problem. (Unless they're pushing it to 10/t10ths.) One thing I have found with the big cruisers though, is I don't need to go as fast to have as much fun. Which is actually a big deal for me, because I got too many speeding tickets on my R6. Sure there are times where it would',been nice to have a sport bike, but if you really want to be able to ride like a sport bike, then buy a sport bike, or better yet have a cruiser and a sport bike.
                Last edited by Doc_V; 10-10-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• blueverclear
                  blueverclear commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doc, not trying to be a d bag at all so hopefully you don't take this wrong........ Your saying that you can keep up with sport bikes in twisty roads on a road star? I didn't catch what you said after that statement but owning multiple sport bikes, 4 Roadies, and a F6b I just don't see how that is possible and I'm not the fastest guy out there on an F6b but there is no comparison to the roadie being much slower and a sport bike being much faster.

Another point to be made is safety. It's just my opinion but I feel safer driving high speeds and taking corners faster on a bike like an F6b vs the roadie. Lean angle, braking, suspension, just everything is so much better. The center of gravity and the way the F6b is designed is very well though oit.

Now that being said...,.... I love my roadie for many other reason which is why I still own one. It's just a cool ass bike, easy to customize, and I like the vtwin sound especially for around town. I can be seen and heard much better which I like. It's a great daily driver while being cool at the same time! Lol

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No offense taken. There's no question the F6B is a much better handling (and "safer") motorcycle and there are definitely other bikes out there that handle better than the R*. But I most definitely do hang with sport bikes, during "spirited" rides, on twisty mountain and canyon roads. I literally cannot tell you how many times people have said to me, after one of these rides, "I have never seen a Harley do that before!" ... and then I correct them and say, "You still haven't..."

I do have the usual suspension upgrades, a much lower seat that lowers the center of gravity, wide beach bars that provide a bit more stability, sticky tires, and racing brake fluid so it doesn't boil over and fade. I do scrape floorboards, but I' don't kick up the rear from scraping the frame. ...OK, maybe once on my old 99 R* ...but even so the R* is incredibly forgiving. The key is, the twistier the road, the better. When we get to faster sweepers, that's when I have a harder time keeping up.

When I got my R* I had to completely change my riding style. I now ride it like a supermoto. I am also a very safe rider. I never go fast into blind corners, I never drift over into oncoming lanes, and if I can't see through the turn, I go easy until I do. ...Then I whack the throttle wide open! R*s don't mind being vigorously flogged.

I'm by no means the best rider out there, but I can definitely hold my own, and so can the R*.
                  Last edited by Doc_V; 10-12-2018, 01:34 AM.

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd even go so far as to say, that canyon carving a R* is more satisfying and possibly even more fun than doing it on a sport bike. Sport bikes have so much capability, that you never feel you're reaching its true potential, unless your professional rider on racetrack. But more importantly, you need to go so much faster on a sport bike just to have fun. Canyon carving on a sport bike is no doubt very cool, but you're always just one of the guys. When you do it on a Roadie, you're a rockstar. (No pun intended.) But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about that. Ride safe.
                  Last edited by Doc_V; 10-12-2018, 01:38 PM.

Another thought and I dont have a clue how good of a brand Motoguzzi is but I really like the look of the MGX-21 and it looks like it could handle well.

Comment

• BigPainRing
                  BigPainRing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guzzi's are good solid bikes but dealer network is sparse.

1) Warrior
                2) Honda VTX 1300c
                I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

V-Max also comes to mind. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner. I would definitely check into one of those

Comment

• Derailed75
                    Derailed75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have always wonder are those really cruisers?

I see good reports on the Triumph thunderbird storm

Comment

The new Yamaha Venture or Eluder?
                    “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

--

Shores is on it. The new '18 Yamaha Star Venture (a full touring bike) and the Eluder (the bagger version) is quite good in everything. I have an Eluder and it has a heck of a lot more capability than the R*. I haven't tested all the bikes mentioned above so I can't compare, but the sports writers who do that are pretty impressed. I would say it's about the same as the Gold Wing I used to have.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...er-comparison/

--

Comment

I guess his $10,000 budget should get him a wrecked one, lol.

Comment

• Deerkiller
                          Deerkiller commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ha ha. Right.

Haha! Yup I did say budget was 10k. Just looking to take a “small” jump into the cruiser world at first.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                        2,852 responses
                        3 likes
                        Last Post roadiemort  
                        Started by zingpow, 5 days ago
                        35 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Father Pobasturd