Bike plans for the winter months?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike plans for the winter months?

Lately, I been more excited about fixing my bike than riding it. The season is over in my neck of the woods so I shall wrap the bike up then daydream of what I can fix or improve on the bike. I save money and buy bits and bobs to add to it. This winter I should be having a financial turnaround and hopefully get a small shed to work on the bike during the winter. Always wanted to have a semi blinged out Road Star with a retro theme. Got some neat parts to add to it I have collected over the years. Greenmachine has fabricated an excellent Harley nacelle to add to the bike. A unicorn part indeed. Got the hard to get rear fender rail, even a front Harley fender but I am on the fence in adding that. I like the looks of the stock Roadstar fender with the front rail trim.

Buying back my 2003 road Star with the 108 Big Bore kit cheap from my next door neighbor. The transmission is porked so got a lead on several low mileage 2003's I can put my jugs, cams etc. Use the broken transmission bike as a parts bike. Maybe eventually fix the transmission and make a bobber, but knowing me, it most like will not happen.

At 62, in reality, how many more years will I be riding? 10-15? Not interested in any Harley products at present, though they are great bikes. A 116ci Indian would be fun to ride. But $$$, thus out of the real world for me. So I plan to stay with my bike death do us part. So I figure I'll collect as many parts as time unfolds to keep the bike working and keep riding till I drop.

Rather than think of winter as being a long bleak cold freeze fest, going to plan for next spring. Even if I do nothing physically to the bike this winter, just daydreaming of future plans keep me going regardless if anything ever gets done. Hope is a great motivator.

To be honest, just having a working bike is enough to turn my crank, everything else is a bonus. Despite my big talk about this and that, just to be able to ride the bike washed, unwashed, slipping clutch and squeaking breaks and the lot, a bike that is rideable is the best bike one can own, imperfections and all.

I have been approached by 2 bands, both rock bands that are good. One all original material, the other covers, and the guys are super great guys. Some shows are already booked and the gigs are fun. Played 2 super fun shows this summer. Looks like a great winter this year. Bikes and bands go hand in hand. A bit of a rant, hopefully, things will be interesting as to what next year has to offer.

Really glad the forum is going strong. A forum with a bike that has not been made since 2014 and we are keeping the dream alive.

I mostly have mine the way I want it but I am toying with the Idea of different wheels. I love the looks of the fat spokes but I don't want to run tubes so I doubt I'll go that route. I want to make my fairing quick disconnect because I like riding without it but would still like it for long trips.

Comment

• Smokescreens
      Smokescreens commented
      Editing a comment
      fat spoke wheels are sealed. at least DNA seals them. not positive about ride right or ultima.

Your bike is well put together, how high are your apes? Going to build a bagger next summer and like what you have done to your bike. Would you have advice as to what cables to get? Thanks.

Comment

"At 62, in reality, how many more years will I be riding? 10-15?" I am looking 68 in the eye and have had this same talk to myself. I would love a new Venture. BUT, we have been blessed with a newborn baby daughter. My focus is now on her. Gonna stick with my Roadstar.

Comment

Mostly just maintenance for me. Need to flush brake fluid in the F6B. Maybe some tires. Want to do front suspension service and possibly change springs. I’ll still ride it as long as there’s no snow and salt around.

Still considering making my R1 street legal again. Not sure what to do about that yet.

Comment

For me, it depends on where my next contract is. If I stay in the south, I'll be riding. If I have to go north, I'll winterize it (first time ever!) and leave it in the garage until warmer weather.
          Peace,
          Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
          (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

I didn't know they sealed them, thanks for the info. My apes are 16's and I got the cables from Tim B at Metric Magic. Just tell him the size bars your going to use and he will get you the cables. I've bought a couple sets from him and he's very helpful. One set was for the 21's I had before I totaled it last summer then I went a little smaller the next time around. The cables are stainless and made by Baron I do believe. I've never had any problems with them.

Comment

Jlb76

Can u send a picture showing how you ran the clutch and throttle cables, please?
              Thank you very much.

And here is a number of a guy here in Tucson, works on planes and stuff. he will cut any cable to any length much cheaper than buying a kit.
              Mike de Mello 520-977-9734

He made mine and had no issues.

Comment

This winter, I'm bringing the bobber in. I want to run the control switch wiring inside the bars, and get it all out of sight. Also, I bobbed the fenders, front and rear, but surprisingly, the rear has cracked badly straight up to the lighting bolted to it. I've gotta figure a repair for that, and get it repainted. I'm contemplating changing the color of it, too, but just haven't seen something that grabs me yet. I'd love to try making it look like an antique barn find with all that patina... but, I'm not skilled at anything like that, and don't know of anyone in the area that is.

Comment

Questcap, got photos of how it looks? I am looking into turning mine into a bobber once I have my next bike.

Comment

I'm thinking of upgrading the front end, new springs and oil. Any recommendations on springs (progressive vs racetech - spring rate) and oil (type and weight)? Or is that a different post altogether?
                    2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

62? I hardly remember being 62, it was so long ago. (Pushing 69 years old)
                      Im getting arthritis, and slowing down a bit, but still get a hoot riding my Vmax. It's not the best 300 mile a day tourer, but the Roadie is still comfortable enough to do the long rides. I'm hoping to be riding till I hit 80. I started in 1967 at 17, so a 63 year run would be cool.

Time will tell....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Leadkrm, 1 hour ago
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post boomerA
                      by boomerA

Started by Leadkrm, 1 hour ago
                      2 responses