PMS closing all the way doesnt do anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMS closing all the way doesnt do anything

2004 baron kit, set up properly per instrux , poor mileage. starts easy without choke, have to close choke fast, or it runs ruff. except when freezing cold. bike runs great KN 2in thick round air filter . FLorida sea level. I originally set float level with carb off bike and carb level with ground 4-5 mm above seam. ive had carb puke on a few occasions. SO i just set float down to about 4-5 mm above seam towards the back on the left of carb, with BIKE level, carb still on bike; now the choke seems better. still, however, if i close the PMS all the way in (maxair pms knob ), it doesnt do anything. how should i proceed?

what size pilot jet? Pushing the choke "in" to about 1/2 choke after about 15 sec is normal.

Comment

2004 baron kit, set up properly per instrux. Who's instructions? Barons or RSC ?

Comment

Also what is poor mpg and how do you ride? In town light to light ? Xway 80-85 mph or are you checking mpg after a leisurely ride of 70-75mph for a tank full? 40-45 mpg at the leisure cruise is about all you can expect and is actually pretty good. If you are riding light to light in town all the way down to 25-30 is what to expect. 80& above will be low 30's if you are lucky.

Comment

Firstly... Please update your jetting info on your profile, it will help us help you. Thanks...

Are you running a Baron's PMS screw or the stock screw?

What about your idle, is it set too high? Is there a *significant* difference in how the bike idles cold vs hot? In other words, when the bike is fully hot, is the idle pretty high?

Assuming your idle is adjusted properly, I'm thinking your pilot jet is too big. What about the needle? What notch is the clip on? And when you counted notches, were you counting down from the blunt end of the needle or up from the sharp point?

Doc_V

Comment

I followed the barons kit instructions and and I have the max air PMS knob adjuster I went with the Barons recommendations needle clip main jet Etc I have three Roadstar and set them all up the same way they either have 35 or 37. 5 PMS jet at night occasionally when I cracked the throttle at 45-50 I see a puff of black smoke but it but and it's been this way for 2 years or so and most of my driving is around town short trips but I know it it is running on rich side .

Comment

Brianmac, can you please be a more specific. Baron's provides several different set up recommendations depending on your bike set up... I don't even know what kind of R* we're dealing with... Is it a 1600 or a 1700????

Are you running a stock air box? If so has it been modified or are you just running a K&N filter?... Are you running an aftermarket air cleaner, i.e. Big Air Kit, Hypercharger, etc.? if you're running a Hypercharger, are you still running the stock air bleed jet on top of the diaphragm. What kind of exhaust? All this stuff matters which is why I asked you to fill out your profile info... We want to help but you've got to work with us here.

I also asked about the PMS screw, because there is a VERY TINY little o-ring that goes on then end of the PMS screw, beneath that is a small washer and a spring... If you're missing any of that, especially that o-ring, you're not going to get true results and dialing in your PMS won't matter...

The more you share the better chance we can find your problem.

Comment

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                in his 1st post he says 2004 so it is a 1700.

• Doc_V
                Doc_V commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh.. OK... I see now. Thanks for clarifying; that was a little confusing.

You say your riding is just short in town trips, Are you sure you aren't just blowing carbon out of it from choke on to start and then a short trip without fully warming the bike up? Could be just knocking the carbon off the top of the pistons and out of the exhaust and the short trips would destroy any chance of a decent mpg. Take it out and run the snot out of it, go for a nice 100 mile ride and then check again to see if it blows black smoke. Also make sure you are in the 4th groove on the needle with a 172.5 main jet 2 1/4 turns out on the pms.. I don't know much about a Max pms screw it may have a different taper on it so you may have to mess with it or call Max to find out if it has the same taper as oem screw

Comment

• Doc_V
                Doc_V commented
                Editing a comment
                If dialing in his PMS all the way makes no difference, then he's definitely running rich, which along with the short rides using the enricher like you mentioned, would contribute to carbon the build up in the engine and pipes...

• SuperG
                SuperG commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with Doc. It sounds like it's too rich - which is what my bike was. I had had the PMS adjusted to compensate for the over-rich condition - you would get a stumble just cracking the throttle and then a black puff if you goosed it.

turning the pms in all the way won't necessarily make the bike stall or even stumble. With a # 40 pilot in a 1700 it won't stall but can be dialed down to make the afr at idle correct at about 2 1/4-2 1/2 turns out instead of the 3+ turns out with the mikuni 35 pilot that comes in the Barons kit. The difference is noticed in the better off idle response that the # 40 gives you. My guess is if there is truly a rich issue at idle and he followed the directions from the Barons kit and also used the 35 pilot then there is a difference in the taper of the Maxaire pms screw. I would suggest that he re-installs the OEM pms screw and see if that makes a difference. A puff of black smoke at 40 mph and goosing it is likely nothing to do with the pms but in the main jet size and/or the groove setting for the clip or again just blowing out carbon. Until he says what jets he used none of this really matters we are just throwing crap at the wall.

Comment

I just went on the Maxaire site and don't see a PMS screw for a Roadstar. Did you buy the PMS screws for an 1100 that comes in a pack of 2?

Comment

no, i bought them years ago , I set all 3 bikes the same, barons kit, maxair pms BRASs KNURLED KNOB, KN FILTER. but this one has a round, others have the oval (old harley sporster looking oval KN filter) this bike has been this way for a least 2 or 3 years. runs great , starts too easy , choke has to be off within secs or it misses, most of year here in fl 70-90 degrees F. could it be the reduced air filter size? BTW i kept fuel pumps, and will NEVER do that mod. this is my daily rider, i mean daily , but like 15 -30 miles max, but daily, for years, and its been that way since i messed with it. I may try to lower float again. Im thinkin i set them too high? i can do it on the bike, and ill check the idle/pms jet size too, i forget which is in there. 2 of the RS's i changed to larger size.

Comment

K&N RA-066V filter

Comment

BA-2150-00 pms screw barons , i thought it was maxair. my bad . link:

https://www.denniskirk.com/baron-cus...prd/173232.sku

Comment

too small an air filter would make it run rich. my other 2 have oval filters. probably 30 % more airflow

Comment

That's the right PMS screw. If you think it's the filter, just pull the filter and see if anything changes. It's OK to ride without a filter for a couple miles. If that doesn't do it get that float level set too and let us know what happens. May be best just to not cut corner and take the carb off the bike to se it. Also inspect needle valve and seat. They can turn gooey and sticky over time. Or you could have varnish in their making it sticky. Best to eliminate this possibilities.

Comment

I have an 066 on my 110 cu in big bore so that isn't the issue

Comment

• Spydr
                              Spydr commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I also have an 066 on my 102ci. It gets Plenty of air.

ok float level on bike jack, bike level, looks even with mating surface now.

bike starts , and idles, with no choke, no air filter, (85 degr F), i can see gas drooling out main jet. at idle, drops of fuel sit on filter side of butterfly
                            at 500 rpm, PMS still has no effect.
                            when i open throttle , it doesnt atomize real well , like too much fuel, i guess i better pull carb , ill get back ?

Comment

When you are setting the float, are you setting the float with the fuel pump pushing the fuel?
                              If your just setting the float with the fuel gravity feed it would be a higher level with the pump pressuring the fuel.

Comment

yes, FP pushing, and bike running.
                                carb off, C-clip on 4th ring from the top end blunt end, one washer on top , one washer under and plastic doughnut spacer.
                                172.5 main........ 40 pilot/pms both MIKUNI

stage 1 oem exhaust ,4 four - 1/2 inch holes drilled and cones removed.
                                K&N RA-066V filter

do i lower it to 3rd clip, or go back to oem 35 PMS or 37.5 (i have them all )???

i also have a spare oem stock carb , and im not gonna put that on girls! (WITHOUT RE- JETTING)

Comment

In these cases it's best to start with the obvious and or easy possibilities and work your way down the list... So yah, go back to the OEM 35 pilot and if that doesn't correct your issue we've got a better idea. If that doesn't do it, read this thread on setting and checking the correct fuel level in the float bowl: http://wayback.archive-it.org/10073/...limitstart,10/

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by NCB, 2 days ago
                                  19 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post NCB
                                  by NCB

Started by FDRUCaptain, 1 day ago
                                  37 responses
                                  0 likes