Coos Bay or bust? Any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coos Bay or bust? Any suggestions?

Well, whenever I manage to get my bike back, I'm heading to the Oregon coast. My buddy says I need to check out Coos Bay; it's only 4:30 hours from Bend, via Eugene, so I'm wondering if I should check out anything else while I'm at it. What do you think? Any suggestions on the route?

Yes! I’d do 101 as far south as you can. Beautiful! Eureka, etc.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

If you take the southern route to Coos Bay, (97 from Bend then 138 west) I would hit Crater Lake along the way. But going through Eugene to Florence or Coos Bay, and then down PCH to home would be a great ride. Definitely better then just heading south from Bend.
      Manuals, Roadwing, other stuff
      PGR
      PGT MT

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
        Yes! I’d do 101 as far south as you can. Beautiful! Eureka, etc.
        That's the plan; once I get to Coos Bay it's the coast on down. Hwy 1 & 101.

My buddy lives just outside Mendocino on Hwy 128, among the redwoods, if he's not in town I plan to cut over to 36 @ Fortuna. If I do, hopefully I can meet up with Loren and Toby, maybe at Mad River for a burger.

But any place on the way to Coos Bay I should check out? Google Maps suggests 20 to 5 to 38 to 101. Or possibly 29 to 126 to 5 to 38 to 101.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	808.7 KB
ID:	29482
        Last edited by Doc_V; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Lance that southern route in gray is highway 58 the Willamette Highway. I used to drive across that in a big truck hauling produce up to Portland and Seattle. BEAUTIFUL SCENERY pretty much the whole way. Just a consideration for you.

Rod

Comment

Another thought would be to stay on Hwy 20 all the way to Newport then down 101 get more coast for the buck. I've done it many times beautiful coast line in Oregon. Ken

Comment

Hey Doc, I live just north of Coos Bay on the coast in small little town of Reedsport. A couple of suggestions for you, If you have never been to Crater Lake it is beautiful and worth it for sure. Bend thru Sisters and either hwy 20 to Salem or 126 to Eugene are both good rides I you go that ay way you could also check out the dee Wright observatory on hwy 242 it is also pretty cool. Once on the coast hwy 101 has many stop points. In Coos bay you can run out to Shore Acres on cape arago hwy and check out the botanical gardens and ocean views. Further south you got Trees of Mystery in the redwoods and several points in between. Let me know if you need anything else and when you think you’ll be over here maybe we can meet up.

Comment

Hey Doc, Like was said, you could take Hwy 20 from Bend to Sisters and take 242 from Sisters to Hwy 126 and into Eugene, that Hwy 242 is pretty amazing. Then when you get into Eugene 126 turns into a freeway, it will cross over I5 and about 2 or 3 miles take the Delta hwy north to Randy Pape Beltline, then Randy Pape Beltline West. Exit to Hwy 99 North and about half mile turn left on Clear Lake Rd. It is beautiful from there. Follow Clear lake, it will change to Lawrence Rd and Lawrence Rd will tee into Hwy36. Take a left on 36 and enjoy, the best part was repaved last year. That will take you to Mapleton where you meet up with 126 again and into Florence where you will catch Hwy101. While on Hwy 36 look for the rock, about 15ft tall on left side (river side) of road, It changes just about every year.

Now, in Sisters you could stay on Hwy 20 all the way Sweet Home, Hwy 20 gets awesome once past Suttle lake, then is Sweethome take Hwy 228 all the way to Hwy 99, go South on 99 just past Junction City and Right on Hwy 36 to Mapleton again.

As somebody said, the fastest route is Hwy 20 all the way to Philomath and then Hwy 34 to Waldport where you meet Hwy 101, Still an awesome ride.

Keep me posted and I will try and reschedule a couple things and ride with you for a ways. Saturday though we are having a memorial for a riding buddy that was called up to early. Drunk driver got him while he was on one of his bucket list rides, so watch those dumb a$$e$.
                Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid----John Wayne

Comment

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Mike, the parts arrived this afternoon and the work has begun, but I told him not to rush it because it was getting too close to the end of the day. I'll be picking up the bike tomorrow and should be on the road by mid. Not sure what time that will put me in your neck of the woods but it would be great to ride with you. I may just try the most direct route because of a late start. We'll see, I'm playing it by ear at this point. I'll text you tomorrow when I know more.

For Crater Lake you would go south on 97 from Bend and turn right on 138 and left into the North Entrance, ride thru the Crater Lake area, gotta stop at the Lodge and over look then continue South out the South Entrance and then if you turn left on 62 your back to Hwy97. But if you turn right on 62 you follow that toward Central Point/Medford and turn right on 234 to Gold Hill then up to Grants Pass and take that to the Coast at Crescent City where you would pick up 101. That whole thing is a beautiful ride in itself.
                Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid----John Wayne

Comment

If you go to crater lake from 138 after seeing it you could go back bbn out to 138 then head towards diamond lake and bnb into Roseburg. From there you could go hwy 42 which will put you just south of coos bay on 101 or head north on i-5 to Sutherland and take hwy 138 there which puts you into Reedsport on hwy 101 there's a nice Elk viewing refuge right before Reedsport has a lot of Elk there to see. You definitely have a lot of options anyone one of them will be a good ride

Comment

• MikeyC
                    MikeyC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, that would be a good one, I knew there was some way from Crater Lake to Roseburg, I have never been that route.

If you are going straight to the coast I would take 242 @ Sisters and that drops in to 126 and you could either keep on 126 in Eugene to the coast @ Florence or drop down to Cottage Grove on I-5 and take 138 to Reedsport. Either way is fairly scenic. 242 is a really cool drive, and do stop for a few minutes at Dee Wright Observatory if you can.

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahodge75 View Post
                    Hey Doc, I live just north of Coos Bay on the coast in small little town of Reedsport. A couple of suggestions for you, If you have never been to Crater Lake it is beautiful and worth it for sure. Bend thru Sisters and either hwy 20 to Salem or 126 to Eugene are both good rides I you go that ay way you could also check out the dee Wright observatory on hwy 242 it is also pretty cool. Once on the coast hwy 101 has many stop points. In Coos bay you can run out to Shore Acres on cape arago hwy and check out the botanical gardens and ocean views. Further south you got Trees of Mystery in the redwoods and several points in between. Let me know if you need anything else and when you think you’ll be over here maybe we can meet up.
                    Thx Ahodge75, but unfortunately I'm still here at the dealership and they're still working on my bike. I probably won't be out of here until after 3 maybe 4 o'clock. So I'm gonna have to make a bee-line to Coosbay; if I don't stop somewhere sooner for the night; with all the deer around here, I'd rather not ride after dark. But I'll definitely give you a shout when I get there maybe tomorrow we can go for a little ride and you can show me around the place. PM me with your phone number and I'll text you.

Doc_V

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by NCB, 2 days ago
                    19 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NCB
                    by NCB

Started by FDRUCaptain, 1 day ago
                    37 responses