State motorcycle inspections?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State motorcycle inspections?

Just wondering if any of you live in a state that requires a yearly bike inspection? I live in New Hampshire and this state requires a yearly inspection and we also
    have to pass an exhaust sound level. 92db or less at idle for a twin cylinder and 96db's for 3,4 or more cylinders. Why they all aren't 96db or lower is beyond my understanding
    of this ridiculous law.

Not in WA.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

In Texas, yes. But, it’s stupid. You show them brake lights, head lamp, insurance card, license plate, and it passes. No sound check.

It costs $17 and is the dumbest waste of time I’ve ever seen.

Comment

I went to a new station in town today and the mechanic had no clue on how to test the sound level.I hate this test because there are to many things that can influence those levels.It was their first year of motorcycle inspections and I knew more about the testing procedure and acceptable levels than he did. He told me I had to start the engine and bring the engine up to 1800 rpm. I said I don't have a tach and asked if he did, all I got was a WTF look from him. I told him the law had changed and it should be measured at idle. Again the WTF look. He goes to his office and comes back and says gee you're right. So I start the engine once again and he hold the sound meter about 2 inches from the end of the pipe. the meter bounces from 92db to 93db and back to 92. I stopped him once again and said that his measurement was not accurate. He ask why I thought that. I told him his meter should be 20" away from the end of the pipes and at a 45 degree angle from the pipes. Again the WTF look. He again went to check the manual and again he said gee you're right. So he says lets try it again. I was bullshit by this time and proceeded to roll off the full testing procedure which he replied with ok I'll take your word on it. Now I have that WTF look on my face. Finally he said well 92/93 close enough and that he'd pass it. Now came the real ironic part of this whole inspection ordeal, he was so wound up he went in did his thing on the computer with the state, came back out and put a sticker on the left fork tube and handed me my registration.... cha ching $20. Never checked anything else not one thing. If this state needs that $20so badly they should just add it to the reg. fee and for go this stupid bull shit they call inspection

Comment

Not in Michigan

Comment

• Deerkiller
            Deerkiller commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed. I’m glad we don’t have to deal with any of this nonsense.

None in Colorado. I was in Maryland for a while and they had them there. The tester actually had to ride my bike!!!! Was not happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick M View Post
            Just wondering if any of you live in a state that requires a yearly bike inspection? I live in New Hampshire and this state requires a yearly inspection and we also
            have to pass an exhaust sound level. 92db or less at idle for a twin cylinder and 96db's for 3,4 or more cylinders. Why they all aren't 96db or lower is beyond my understanding
            of this ridiculous law.
            I live in NH also and am perplexed by your post. Yes, we have yearly inspections. But I have never heard of an exhaust sound level inspection and I have been a riding resident for over 30 years in NH.

Edit: Just googled the sound level test. You are correct that inspection stations are supposed to do this now but I haven't seen any anywhere in my area that have this equipment. Supposedly, they are also supposed to check wheel alignment and headlight aim also. Huh? Yeah right. Like all that's going to happen for the few buck inspection stations get paid. They would all go broke. At least there's none on the seacoast that I know of with this equipment.

If I were you, I would find a normal station that does a real inspection of all the safety items vs the sound check. If any bike you own can't pass 92-93 decibels at idle, it shouldn't be on the road anyway and you wouldn't need a measuring device for that. Your ears could tell you that. 92-93db is FRIGGIN LOUD!

Oh and happy days are here. http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/2...torcycle-noise

Comment

• Dick M
              Dick M commented
              Editing a comment
              You should read it all on NH state inspections. they are also supposed to check rake and trail wheel alignment fork and shock seals for leakage headlight alignment and a bunch of other BS. What shop could do all that for $20?

Don't know what part of the state you live but in my area SW part Keene to be specific they all do sound level test. I had been riding over to motorcycles of Manchester for inspections but 110 miles round trip seemed like a ways to go for a lousy state inspection. My bike is under the state noise limit and had this idiot actually measured it correctly it would have been lower than the 92db allowed by the state. BTW semi's with a Jake brake were measured at 100db's. At least now I don't have to worry about being fined the $100-$300 that this ridiculous law calls for.

• grubsie
              grubsie commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with you all the way on this. However, being that I am an avid rider, something you said doesn't compute in my simple mind.

"I had been riding over to motorcycles of Manchester for inspections but 110 miles round trip seemed like a ways to go for a lousy state inspection."

I use any excuse to go as far as I can whenever I can for anything. My wife knows better than to ask me to go to the store for milk or something else because she knows that she won't see me again for at least an hour and the store is just under a mile down the road from us. That ride to Mom's of Manchester would turn into a 200 mile trip at a minimum. (Big Smile!)

We have them in NY. Lights and look at brakes. 6 bucks and most of that goes to the garage.

Comment

Nothing like that in Montana. Permanent tags too. My only annual thing is insurance.
              Manuals, Roadwing, other stuff
              PGR
              PGT MT

Comment

• MikeyC
                MikeyC commented
                Editing a comment
                Can I registrar my bikes at your address?

• Tykes_Place
                Tykes_Place commented
                Editing a comment
                Come on over. The weather's great this time of year!

• Deerkiller
                Deerkiller commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that’s the way it should be

Things must have changed a lot since I lived in Texas. Used to be they would gig you if your high beam indicator didn't work (among other stupid shit). I live in Arizona now and there's none of that silliness here for motorcycles.

Comment

Not in Calif. No annual checks,nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Pobasturd View Post
                  Things must have changed a lot since I lived in Texas. Used to be they would gig you if your high beam indicator didn't work (among other stupid shit). I live in Arizona now and there's none of that silliness here for motorcycles.

I’ve only been here a short time (2 inspections), haha. I don’t think they checked the high beams.

I really dont don’t understand the inspections. As someone else said, if it’s a money grab, just add the fee to registration.

Earlier in this thread read I said it was $17, but after I thought more about it, this last one I did was $7. So, I don’t really care about it. It’s just really dumb.

Comment

We have an annual inspection in MA. I go to a guy who just looks it over, checks the tires, horn and lights, and takes my $15. He's a biker, too, so it's more like a social visit!

Comment

In the past year or so, Texas has changed the 'safety inspection' from getting a separate sticker, to having to get the inspection done and you present your paperwork before you can re-register your vehicle. No more ugly bracket to put the sticker on the bike, one less sticker to put on the windshield. One thing I noticed... you pay a certain fee to get the vehicle inspected, but you also have to pay an inspection fee when you register-and they don't even look at the vehicle at the county tax office! I was told that the state had collected this second fee from the inspection stations, now the state is collecting it from the vehicle owner. From the number of vehicles I've seen with one or more brake lights or headlights out (even on vehicles w/paper tags) the 'safety inspection' is a terrible joke! And don't get me started on idiots driving at night w/'daytime running lights' or no lights at all!. I've seen squad cars drive right past these idiots!

Comment

Grubsie

I too am an avid rider roughly 6k give or take a few hundred miles a year considering the short riding season we have in this state I'd say that would be "avid". I think you missed my point. I prefer to do my own repairs when the bike needs something and I do my own inspection before I Head to a state inspection. Last season I made the the trip to Manchester and when I arrived I had no low beam on my head light. Was fine when I checked it before leaving. So now you get stuck with a $10 bulb costing you $40 installed unless of coarse you want to turn your trip into 220 miles for a second trip. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy riding but the streets of down town Manchester is not my idea of a nice leisurely ride. Just wondering your profile says you have Bassani true dual headers with Rinehart Slipons , have you ever had them, sound tested? I have a feeling their not as quiet as you might think.

Comment

Safety inspection in Missouri, you can do 1 year or 2 year tags but needs inspection before you renew. Basically safety inspection, no sound or emissions or anything like that. Costs $10. Just had mine done in May.

Comment

Louisiana requires motorcycles to be inspected, just basic safety stuff: lights, turns, horn, tire tread. No noise measurement or sniffer up the exhaust.
                            Inspection sticker doesn't have to be displayed on the bike, can be in your wallet or with reg.
                            $10 for 1 yr or
                            $20 for 2 yrs
                            ​​​​​​​

Comment

Inspection? In Florida they don't even require insurance on a motorcycle

Comment

In this town, there were two places that did inspections on bikes. One lost its license, the other is gonna close soon. Neither one has looked at my treads depth, all it seemed they were questioning was that the box that was mounted to my rack on my Intruder, the lights didn't work and they were gonna flunk me until I said that it wasn't stock and it wasn't ever hooked up to the lights. "Oh gee, your right, it says stock lights,,,"
                                As far as noise levels, if they can talk over it, it's okay. One place one time had me drive the bike across the parking lot and stop only using the front brake.
                                "Do or do not, there is no try."

Comment

There is no inspection in South Carolina, for motorcycles or cars. There is a property tax though. It decreases as the value of the vehicle decreases. Registration is pretty cheap.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by AshtonMarie81, 11 hours ago
                                  8 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Txulrich  
                                  Started by Rob in FL, 1 hour ago
                                  1 response
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post RoadieRob