Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K&N filter brackets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • K&N filter brackets

    For those using this filter, what did you make the mounting brackets from. What size material and so on?


  • #2
    I made mine from 1/8” x 1” flat. I bolted it to the front head and back of the air cleaner. I used a nylock lock nut but it still worked loose and found its way in to my front cylinder and caused damage that’s still haunting me. It’s been fine with no bracket ever since.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have one of the brackets that Roadiedude used to make. It's one piece of stainless that's polished. The filter neck goes through a hole in the center of the bracket. The bracket then has two holes, one on each side of the main hole for screws to mount the bracket to the back of the filter. I used Phillips head pan screws and wingnuts. I reversed the wing nuts so that the wings would go against the rubber backing as I used a screwdriver to tighten them up. Has worked great against vibration so far. Then the hole thing is held on to the motor with the filter hose clamp and the top two factory aircleaner mounting locations and factory bolts .






      "There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
      Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FDRUCaptain View Post
        I have one of the brackets that Roadiedude used to make. It's one piece of stainless that's polished. The filter neck goes through a hole in the center of the bracket. The bracket then has two holes, one on each side of the main hole for screws to mount the bracket to the back of the filter. I used Phillips head pan screws and wingnuts. I reversed the wing nuts so that the wings would go against the rubber backing as I used a screwdriver to tighten them up. Has worked great against vibration so far. Then the hole thing is held on to the motor with the filter hose clamp and the top two factory aircleaner mounting locations and factory bolts .
        Is he still around?

        Comment


        • FDRUCaptain
          FDRUCaptain commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't believe so. I got it from him over 4 years ago. Never saw him around much after that.

      • #5
        1/8”x 3/4” aluminum strap. The one on the left/rear of the filter has a spacer between it and the cylinder. Some folks just bend the strap instead.

        “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

        Comment


        • #6
          I cut one from aluminum street sign. It's pretty heavy duty stuff... uh, the town didn't need that particular sign anyway... they told me so! Really!

          I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how to get a picture from Picassa to here............

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Questcap View Post
            I cut one from aluminum street sign. It's pretty heavy duty stuff... uh, the town didn't need that particular sign anyway... they told me so! Really!

            I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how to get a picture from Picassa to here............
            Save the pic to your computer and then upload to the RSC.

            Comment


            • Questcap
              Questcap commented
              Editing a comment
              So, there isn't a direct way to go from Picassa to RSC? Somehow, I just knew that was going to be the case... to which I said the heck with it... it's just a bunch of BS. I can't stand 'modern' technology... it aggravates the heck out of me! And, I generally do not care... if it isn't simple enough for me... it's not simple enough....

          • #8
            What if I used 1" x 1/8" alum stock drilled some holes in the alum for the sealant to adhere to and used black silicone sealant to adhere to back of filter housing and then attach to the motor using the original mounting hole. That way I could avoid any mishaps with something getting into the carb. I'm just looking for some extra support on the filter so not to pull of the carb. Opinions?

            Comment


            • #9
              Originally posted by NCB View Post
              What if I used 1" x 1/8" alum stock drilled some holes in the alum for the sealant to adhere to and used black silicone sealant to adhere to back of filter housing and then attach to the motor using the original mounting hole. That way I could avoid any mishaps with something getting into the carb. I'm just looking for some extra support on the filter so not to pull of the carb. Opinions?
              Do you mean no screws into the back of the KN? I doubt the sealant will hold. Just use sheet metal screws through holes in the aluminum and then into the rubber backing of the KN with sealant on the threads. Then the other ends of the aluminum bolted to the upper two original holes in the engine cylinders.

              “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

              Comment


              • #10
                Originally posted by Shores View Post

                Do you mean no screws into the back of the KN? I doubt the sealant will hold. Just use sheet metal screws through holes in the aluminum and then into the rubber backing of the KN with sealant on the threads. Then the other ends of the aluminum bolted to the upper two original holes in the engine cylinders.
                Good idea!
                I used that same sealant to secure a wire from my over head lights on my truck to the edge of the window trim. Only used a couple of tabs of sealant. It has been secure for four years thru many touchless car washes and up to 80 mph on the highway. It's some good stuff!!

                Comment


                • #11
                  I got it fastened just with the hose clamp. I had the 66V (round one) before with brackets and always had issues sealing around the carb mouth. I have since purchased the same one above and have never had any issues with it holding on. Its real light so cant be a problem pulling down on the carb.

                  Comment

                  Latest Posts

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Father Pobasturd, 13 hours ago
                  6 responses
                  88 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post davej
                  by davej
                   
                  Started by drumsonly2002, 36 minutes ago
                  1 response
                  9 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Tykes_Place  
                  Started by Jclevesque, 4 days ago
                  17 responses
                  189 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Jclevesque  
                  Started by Messer2.0, 8 hours ago
                  10 responses
                  128 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post texasscott1  
                  Started by Grim, 1 day ago
                  13 responses
                  90 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Deerkiller  
                  Started by Messer2.0, 4 hours ago
                  5 responses
                  36 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jd750ace  
                  Started by Makriluc, 2 days ago
                  11 responses
                  152 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post scottw
                  by scottw
                   
                  Started by tyates007, 2 days ago
                  23 responses
                  259 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post scottw
                  by scottw
                   
                  Started by Filthy casual, 6 days ago
                  25 responses
                  219 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Doc_V
                  by Doc_V
                   
                  Started by dustybin, 5 hours ago
                  2 responses
                  22 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Doc_V
                  by Doc_V
                   
                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM
                  1,956 responses
                  16,922 views
                  3 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by Txulrich, 04-24-2018, 12:12 PM
                  451 responses
                  2,986 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by brianmac, 08-06-2018, 07:44 AM
                  41 responses
                  449 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post davej
                  by davej
                   
                  Started by YZ18, 4 days ago
                  24 responses
                  273 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post D-Fresh
                  by D-Fresh
                   
                  Started by Biff, 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM
                  19 responses
                  385 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post JD64k
                  by JD64k
                   
                  Started by Ace, 07-27-2018, 08:53 AM
                  19 responses
                  243 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by dustybin, 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM
                  21 responses
                  243 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by Doomer, 20 hours ago
                  1 response
                  32 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by Doomer, 23 hours ago
                  1 response
                  26 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Working...
                  X