Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsoil

Is this what you guys are using?

Can't speak for anyone else, but it's what I've used for years. It has the JASO approval, so that it cannot harm our wet clutches, and it contains enough of the necessary ZDDP to preserve our cams and lifters. Further, it's the 10w-40 that Yami specifies for our bikes. Back when bike oils were tested in accordance with lubrication industry standardized testing in an objective, outside laboratory, it came out on top of all the bike oils tested. I've always been easy to please... I like the best!

Comment

I'll put it out there again, too... My Amsoil dealer gave me permission to offer his very best wholesale price, plus free shipping to your door. Only your state sales tax is added. Ernie can be reached at synalt@aol.com Tell him you're with the RSC. I buy 4 one gallon jugs in a case lot. Due to a recent price increase, it's now $144.60. You can run what you want, but I prefer the best, and since it's no more than Mobil 1, or any of the other bike oils, it strikes me as a perfectly reasonable price and value.

Comment

Am placing an order with Ernie today. Thanks Quest

Comment

I use the Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic 20-50w. Either is good.
          Peace,
          Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
          (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

Been using Mobile 1 v-twin 20w50. Thought I would try Amsoil. Motor is pretty noisy.

Comment

opps.
              "Do or do not, there is no try."

Comment

Either is good... others tested far worse. The Amsoil tested best, followed fairly closely by the Mobil 1. They were out front all by themselves.

The one thing I truly don't get, is all these guys wanting to use Shell Rotella, formulated for diesel use, in their bikes, even though it's JASO approved and supposedly has enough ZDDP, (though scottw says he had it tested and found that it did NOT). That one oil is not formulated for v-twin bikes, and was not tested with the other BIKE oils, some of which did not fare too very well... What if, upon actually being tested with bike oils, it was to be learned that it performed even more poorly than the oils formulated for bikes... would you STILL use Rotella?

And, best I can figure, these same guys use Rotella just because it's so much cheaper than bike oil. Seriously? You would use an untested diesel formulated oil (that may NOT have enough ZDDP) in your Road Star just to save a few bucks?!?!? Shell claimed it had enough ZDDP... scottw says he had it tested for ZDDP and found that it did not... which, if true, means you're engine is not being adequately protected!

Comment

I use Amsoil 10/40 also 20/50 if I do an oil change mid-summer. I cannot say how great it works as that is all I use regardless of price. My instincts tell me clean oil regardless of brand is important. Ytube videos show Amsoil holds up better in heat then cheap oil. Since oil is the lifeblood of the Vtwin I decided to spoil the bike and hopefully it will live a bit longer. I use 20/50 on the big bore 108ci due to the higher compression 10:25 since 20/50 is recommended for Harley's as they run at a higher compression also.

My guess any quality motorcycle oil changed regularly should suffice. But I am the type of guy that use to feed my dog steak just to spoil him when he was alive. The same for the bike.

Comment

drums, I wouldn't disagree with you, except, the oils that were formulated for bikes and tested, back, I believe it was in '09 now, actually showed that some... all of which were NEW, unused oil, at the time of the test, did not adequately survive all of the different tests employed, which had been devised and agreed upon, as being the lubrication industry standardized testing for motor oils... All of which means, quite plainly, that not "any 'quality' motorcycle oil regularly changed will suffice." Some of the bike oils out and out failed to adequately provide all the protection that these tests were to demonstrate that they were supposed to provide for some thousands of miles of use... their additive package lacked all that was necessary to serve a bike well!

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
                      drums, I wouldn't disagree with you, except, the oils that were formulated for bikes and tested, back, I believe it was in '09 now, actually showed that some... all of which were NEW, unused oil, at the time of the test, did not adequately survive all of the different tests employed, which had been devised and agreed upon, as being the lubrication industry standardized testing for motor oils... All of which means, quite plainly, that not "any 'quality' motorcycle oil regularly changed will suffice." Some of the bike oils out and out failed to adequately provide all the protection that these tests were to demonstrate that they were supposed to provide for some thousands of miles of use... their additive package lacked all that was necessary to serve a bike well!
                      Good post Questcap. That explains the statement "You get what you pay for". I don't mind paying more after reading the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
                        Either is good... others tested far worse. The Amsoil tested best, followed fairly closely by the Mobil 1. They were out front all by themselves.

The one thing I truly don't get, is all these guys wanting to use Shell Rotella, formulated for diesel use, in their bikes, even though it's JASO approved and supposedly has enough ZDDP, (though scottw says he had it tested and found that it did NOT). That one oil is not formulated for v-twin bikes, and was not tested with the other BIKE oils, some of which did not fare too very well... What if, upon actually being tested with bike oils, it was to be learned that it performed even more poorly than the oils formulated for bikes... would you STILL use Rotella?

And, best I can figure, these same guys use Rotella just because it's so much cheaper than bike oil. Seriously? You would use an untested diesel formulated oil (that may NOT have enough ZDDP) in your Road Star just to save a few bucks?!?!? Shell claimed it had enough ZDDP... scottw says he had it tested for ZDDP and found that it did not... which, if true, means you're engine is not being adequately protected!
                        ===============================

Just an FYI,Shell mfg's rotella T-6 syn that has enough zddp (1300ppm), but the issue i have with it is it's only mfg'd in light grades like for example 5w-40 which is a bit light for our hot running R*'s in summer cond.

But std dino rotella 15w-40 is designed & formulated for not just diesel but also gas engines in fleet truck apps too did in fact have it's zddp reduced (due to gov regs!) some yrs back in approx 2006 from a healthy 1500ppm to a marginal (for best FT cam protection) 1100-1200ppm zddp range which is marginal at best for best protecting the R* motor just to save a few bucks which doesn't make sense to me when you can buy proper motorcycle oil on sale for approx same cost or darn close to it.

For those hell bent on running 15w-40 fleet (Diesel/gas engine) oil in the R* Chevron Delo 15w-40 fleet oil still has a decent 1300ppm zddp ll along with a good rep in general as being a quality oil too.

Chevron delo 15w-40 std dino used to have 1500ppm zddp prior to 2006 like std dino shell rotella 15w-40 did too just prior to the zddp reductions mandated by EPA/Fed gov in approx 2006.

Some yrs back when the reductions in zddp were down to serious low lvl's for safe FT cam/lifter protection and the oil mfg's hadn't yet started mfg oil again with higher zddp lvl required for older motor designs still running FT cams i personally used Chevrons delo 15w-40 (in classic muscle cars still running oe style ft cams w-some being hotter aftermarket ft cams too!) without having any oil/engine/cam & lifter related issues at all in my own 69 chevelle ss 396 along with classic cars i maintain for other people with old school motors still running FT cams & lifters.

But since some oil mfg's now make oil with proper higher lvl for older classic car motors still running FT cams i have been running Spectro's 10w-30/10w-40/20w-50/oil (avail in std dino or semi blend in mult grades) for classic muscle cars with 1800ppm zddp with great results.

The oil i use in my prior 2006 R* & now 2012 R* (FT cams) & 2009 HD (roller cams) is spectro syn blend or full syn 20w-50 (both have 1500ppm zddp),specifically designed & formulated for lrg air cooled v-twins or Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w-50 full syn (1700ppm zddp) for lrg disp air cooled v-twins or maybe even Amsoil's MCV syn 20w-50 (1400ppm zddp) for lrg air cooled v-twins too.

BTW,its not all about zddp when talking good protection for ft cams in a hot running air cooled v-twin motorcycle motor that gets plenty hot,it's also about the oil having both a quality zddp pkg @ proper lvl (1300-1800ppm zddp) along with the also having a high quality base stock oil & quality oil additive chem pkg too all properly balanced for best protection/best oil performance.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Comment

• Questcap
                          Questcap commented
                          Editing a comment
                          scott, thanks for the heads-up, and for the deep clarification on this truly important issue. It's just plain foolish, and truly "false economy" to try to cheap out on our engine's oil, when the requirements are so clear. The research had all been done... I think it was back in '09. Until someone comes up with new research to indicate otherwise, and we can still find oils formulated specifically for our application, it only makes good sense to use what has been proven by objective, outside, independent lab tests, conducted in accordance with the standardized tests accepted by the entire industry.

I may try the 10w-40 Amsoil on my next change. The "Rural King" store near me sells it off the counter. Oh, this is for my new bike a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT . It only uses 2 quarts of oil on an oil change.

Comment

Guys, seriously, no foolin'... all the work was done, and the winners were made quite clear. The two best that we know anything about at this time, were the Amsoil and Mobil 1 products for our v-twin engines. Does your "Baby" deserve anything less???

Comment

Comment

I say it... because, really... no one seems to actually receive it!

It is as if nobody knows, and nobody has ever seen any actual empirical results that has any meaning to anything.

Seriously, roadie? Are you serious? Testing was done, results were published. Granted, they are now old; 9 years old, I think. But, they are the best that we have to go on.

If you know ANY better, tell us, and I'll start running the best recommended oil at my very next changes for my 3 Roadies... that's why I keep speaking on the behalf of the best oil for our bikes. Simple.

Comment

• roadiemort
                                roadiemort commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I think I heard you for the umpteenth time is my point, Folks turn you off just like when you preach. lol.

• Questcap
                                Questcap commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well, there ya go then... at least ONE someone was listening!

Now, I'm curious... If I only need to be saying this same stuff, like, once, or maybe twice... WHY does the question keep coming up over and over again?

• roadiemort
                                roadiemort commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It keep's coming up because R* owners are inherently some real cheap bastards and try to save in the wrong place lol.

Well, I've been using a mix of Lucas hp motorcycle synthetic 20w50 with Valvoline VR1 50w in my bikes now for the last four years. I know, it's a mix and not tested but it has been working for me. Only time will tell.
                              Before using the mix, I used Amsoil 20w50 and tried Mobile 1 20w50, "which is very good oils", I would find the engine made a little noise when heated up. I realize this is normal with these big v twins, but I found that my engines stays quiet even when hot with what I'm using now.
                              Does anyone know if Lucas MC Syn oil was tested in the test done?
                              I seen test on Lucas, Mobil, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Valvoline and a few others back in the 90's for HP engines with all good results. Amsoil, and Mobil 1 being on top and Lucas next to them.
                              Duke.

Comment

Just to clarify where the info came from in my prior post here is some was obtained from oil testing i personally had done @ Blackstone labs for a motor oil project i was working on with respect to proper oil for flat tappet cams in classic muscle cars along with some info i got directly from oil & chemical engineers @ mult oil mfg's & oil additive mfg's too along with a little info i got from the oil test Amsoil did some yrs ago too.

I have been wrenching cars/classic cars/motorcycles/small pwr equip etc (re-building stock and or mild street perf motors for 60's-70's classic & muscle cars) for approaching 50yrs and 1 of the many things i have always had more then an avg interest in is motor oil and the changes it has seen thru the yrs.

That's why at times i may have little more to comment on the subject of motor oil then the avg person just in case you were wondering where i was coming from when i post here in RSC on oil,motors,batteries,etc.

If interested chk out the signature pic of me with a 70 BBC (402 bored to 408CI) i assembled & painted just before installing into a #'s matching 70 Chevelle ss 396 that's 1 of multiple 60's-70's classic cars i maintain for a few local classic car collectors in my area.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Comment

I remember you telling us the same on the previous site a few years back. It sent me to doing my own on-line research for a number of hours. I learned a lot, and put it to good use. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM
                                  2,271 responses
                                  3 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by Leadkrm, 14 hours ago
                                  13 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Leadkrm