Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattle can pings at higher RPM's

2006 Road Star

noticing some rattle can pings at higher RPMS.. not sure if its suspension, engine or a lose bolt somewhere.. I'm betting one of you know EXACTLY what this is..

ohh great road star wizard please tell me what this noise is..

doesn't necessarily has to do with speed.. maybe more vibrations from engine hopefully not IN engine.

no power loss. seems good otherwise..

I can post vids but I know you guys will say.. " its this.. ".. lol..

thank you..

When exactly does the "rattle can" pings happen exactly? Does it happen if you are just sitting and reving the engine? Does it only happen when you are accelerating? Does it happen only on right hand corners? Does it happen at the higher RPMs going through the gears? Does it happen in each gear? Does it happen if you are downshifting? Just asking questions.

Comment

headlight bucket noise? What part of the bike is it coming from? Need more description
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

rattle can is an expression for hand held spray paint cans, as opposed to pro paints. it is not used to describe bike or motor sounds. describe the sound, and the conditions that coincide. ping,knock, clunk, vibraye, oscillate, and describe the frequency or re occurences etc, machine gun rapid fire, intermittent, etc

Comment

When my starter clutch went out on my Vmax it sounded like a pop can full of gravel. That's the right expression lol
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

I had a cracked chrome lower lower wind deflector that did that at certain RPM. So as Lug Nut said, where does the sound appear to be coming from. Front could be in headlamp bucket. Rear it could be the belt guard. We're going to need more information.

Comment

Does it only make the noise when you’ve been drinking

Comment

• Brad_G
                Brad_G commented
                Editing a comment

When I read the title, the first thing I thought of was detonation pinging, like a motor that knocks due to using the wrong/lower octane fuel.

Is this motor upgraded with high compression pistons?

Comment

• Hairless Hippy
                Hairless Hippy commented
                Editing a comment
                could a larger carb require higher octane gas? its really a stock bike but upping the octane is the next thing I am going to do.

• MidnightRide
                MidnightRide commented
                Editing a comment
                Not likely. The high-compression pistons will require the higher octane. Bigger carb just pumps more fuel in there, depending on how it's set up.

reach up and grab your rear view mirrors the next time you hear it.. They can make a rattle when the glass is loose...
              not all those who wander are lost......

Comment

• Hairless Hippy
                Hairless Hippy commented
                Editing a comment
                already had the mirror rattle.. great suggestion though.. I just drilled the back and filled them both with silicone..

Spark knock, timing,fuel octane…his wife using hairspray?

Lets start a Pool - Guess the rattle !
              2009 Roady
              2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

I am going to rule this out first, OP put that bike in 5th gear on the freeway and roll it on and see if you can hear the rattle can, if you can hear it. It dont matter what fuel the bike is running, the top end of the motor is carboned up. I had this rattle can issue only at higher rpms the bike had 93 octane in it. Yamaha sells a product called Ring Free one bottle 5 gallons of fuel thru repete. after the second tank change the plugs and oil. It works with heat and gets all the varnish, carbon deposits etc off the top of the motor its about $26 bucks a bottle but wow does it work. The issue never reoccurred. I do give it a shot glass full with every other tank.

Comment

• MidnightRide
                  MidnightRide commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wonder if that's the same stuff I used to clean my catalytic converter when my SUV threw a code while on a trip last year? It cleaned the cat and the code and I haven't had an issue since. About the same price.

• Hairless Hippy
                  Hairless Hippy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  more like 50 a bottle.. holy chit. I'd try it but at that price... hmm..

• chromax
                  chromax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you were looking the the marine bottle for 50 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalu...a-761938476672

I'm betting on the headlite rattle.
                I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

I love the roadstar clinic website.. you guys rock.. super helpful.. I also suspected headlight rattle.. I looked in and there was a remote control that fired when high beams are hit to open garage door.. from the last guy.. it was removed.. I think less pinging now but still not completely gone. the problem is when I have a helmet on its very hard to hear it.. I recently over revved it and its super hot here in the desert so I thought I did damage.. I mean no loss of power but that "ting ta ting ting ting" kinda thing.. I think I'm going to put higher octane next.. I used to put hi test in there before the prices went up.. maybe she needs it.. I mean its just a bone stock 2006 Roadstar plain vanilla. it does have a replacement carburetor.. could that be a component that requires higher octane gas *IF* prior owner happened to put a bigger carb in there??

Comment

• Brad_G
                    Brad_G commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You may be on to something here. The stock carb has a TPS (throttle position sensor) that adjusts the timing curve depending on throttle position. The previous owner may have done away with that. Also, do you have any kind of fuel/tuner box on your bike? It could be an ignition ping you hear if things are dialed in right. I'm not a carb/TPS guru but there are a few guys here that should be able to help answer these questions.

Chromax is more than likely right. If you have been running high octane fuel in these bikes with stock pistons you will get carbon build up on the pistons which will increase the compression resulting in engine detonation. Runing more higher octane will only incease the problem. It may stop it for awhile but in will continue to build carbon.. 87 is the proper octane.

Comment

Originally posted by Agpilot View Post
                    Chromax is more than likely right. If you have been running high octane fuel in these bikes with stock pistons you will get carbon build up on the pistons which will increase the compression resulting in engine detonation. Runing more higher octane will only incease the problem. It may stop it for awhile but in will continue to build carbon.. 87 is the proper octane.
                    In theory, if the carbon buildup is causing a high-compression scenario, then he now actually has a high-compression motor. That would necessitate higher octane fuel, and now the situation should theoretically be stabilized. Can't see it getting worse.

That 'Cataclean' may be what's needed to get it back, a bit cheaper than the Yamaha brew. This stuff worked great for me and I highly recommend it, plus it's cheaper than what I paid when I was on the road and picked it up at a local auto parts store. Says it works for cylinder carbon buildup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Comment

• Agpilot
                      Agpilot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL , That is true but it will start to carbon up your spark plug holes and it will break off and can cause serious problems with your valves. . We had a machine at the aircraft shop that was used to clean the cylinders with out removing the jugs. on the old round engines. It was called a pecan huller. It was like a bead blaster only used ground pecan hulls to blast away the carbon..Sure don't want glass beads in your cylinders. You don't want to run an engine with that much carbon build up. Not good. I used the macnine on an older Harley that had a bad case of carbon. It was so bad it would break off a chunk and knock the end of the spark plugs off...

• MidnightRide
                      MidnightRide commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OMG that's some serious stuff! I wonder how many of us may have carbon buildup?

OP these R*s will rattle when hot, mine did i live in fla, I corrected that with a barrons oil cooler. It helped a lot. There is a chance that something was rattling in the headlight bucket. If these bikes are carboned up its easy to tell. 5th gear and roll the throttle to the stop if pinging is heard come off the throttle before you blow a hole in the top of one of the pistons first, then get this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalu...a-761938476672

Use 5 gallons of fuel to one bottle re pete after the second change the oil and plugs. It throws a bunch of crap into the oil bath. You can smell the carbon coming out of the motor. I did this treatment I had a high Rpm rattle and I am not a believer in snake oil but not long after the second treatment the bike had some motor work done when I had the heads off they were clean you could see where the ring free was doing its thing..

Comment

The other keys on my keyring rattle on the metal around the ignition switch, makes a "ting, ting, ting" sound. Not all the time, just a certain RPMs. Took me a while to figure it out.
                      2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by JHouse, 5 days ago
                      17 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post dbtk44
                      by dbtk44

Started by Rooster85, 2 weeks ago
                      11 responses