Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel injection: Best case scenario for fuel injection MPG? Anyone get over 40 MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel injection: Best case scenario for fuel injection MPG? Anyone get over 40 MPG?

Nothing planned right now but trying to put this in my head for a future upgrade.

Should I step-up to a newer fuelie, I'm wondering what kind of fuel mileage may come with the package? I can't recall anyone saying they get much over 40, but maybe so? I like the extended range I get with my carb, but not the issues that can come with it. I just don't have the time to be pulling the carb every time something comes up, such as recently with my plugged main jet and now with the fuel-belching issue which is likely a float-adjustment problem.

I just want some relatively trouble-free reliability so I can just sit my butt onboard and RIDE when I have the time to do so.

Are any of the years associated with better mileage? Anyone get anything close to 50 MPG?

I'm all stock down to the AIS. I generally get ~36 with a mix of in town and highway riding. I'm not aggressive on the right wrist. I have gotten in the low 40's when riding two lane highways for distance. So in general, I don't know anyone with a FI bike that has gotten near the 50 mark some claim to get. Also keep in mind the pump is internal to the tank on a FI bike so range is less. I'm generally seeing the low fuel light in the 120 mile range. Although on mine it takes under 4 gallons to fill it. So in theory I could go a ways further.

Comment

• MidnightRide
      MidnightRide commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah you make a good point about the limited fuel capacity. I can get 5.75 gallons in my tank. I had a bike that had a 120 mile range, MAX, one time, and every 100 miles I was looking for gas. Not fun when you're riding some remote desert highway in the middle of Nevada, for example, but a good time to take a break!

Low 40's wouldn't be bad, but limited fuel capacity would be a problem.

I'm working on my Jeep and bass boat motors right now, but when I pull the carb I'll do everything I can to bring it back to factory-clean for a fresh start. It's been five years since I did that, when I first bought it. Maybe that'll get me another five years?

But I don't think it would be all that bad to have another Roadie in my stable... I like the Midnight or I'd consider bobbing it.

Thanks Brad_G

• Brad_G
      Brad_G commented
      Editing a comment
      MidnightRide, I can't see any downside to having another Road Star in the stable.

I just made a post about my ride today. 09 fuelie with stage 3 exhaust mod, I ran out 2 tanks mostly 70-75 MPH and both tanks got 41 MPG.

Comment

I forgot to mention, if you're dealing with shit in the tank, I don' think it's going to matter whether you're injected or carb. And while carb belch may be a pain in the ass there are more sensors and other things to troubleshoot with a FI bike.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine. Turn on the key, hit the starter, and smooth from the get-go. But like all things in life, it can go sideways just as easily as not.

Comment

• MidnightRide
        MidnightRide commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah no issues with the tank, my supposition is that the cleaner I ran through it, and broken-down material, mixed with carb corrosion due to alcohol in the fuel. At least that's what it looked like. Kind of a crusty little ball of crud that crumbled to the touch. Wish I'd have photographed it but was in a hurry to get down to the motel for Starfest!

Good point about the sensors. I just haven't been riding enough and that creates issues, though I start it up regularly throughout the year.

2008 10k miles full synthetic fluids everywhere brand new 2 into 1 exhaust brand new 02 sensors new plugs, big open air filter AIS delete pcV for rev limiter raised to 4850 but stock computer "tune"....full dressed saddlebags, Star Bar and hwy pegs, air horn, tall sissybar, ED seats (heavier than stock) tall windshield in tallest position, 18 front Liner wheel/tire (heavier than stock cast wheel setup) and 6ft 2in 250 lb rider......

38 mpg has been best so far in summer heat. I did some research and basically a "sort of" online reporting consolidated into one "meta analysis" stated 35-38mpg is most average
      All of my pumpless conversion carb bikes got as good or better than this.
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

I have a 2008 fuel injected and last summer coming back from Baker City starfest I got 50 miles per gallon but that was the only time. I typically get anywhere between 38 and 44 miles per gallon. I think my tank only holds 4.8 gallons. DK if it's because of the fuel pump being in the tank or if the tank is actually a little smaller. The advantage of a fuel injected road star is that you will have absolutely no problems. I can count the fuel injected problems posted on this forum on one hand.

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          50 MPG would be impressive and just fine on my end. 44 even works. Have you or anyone else ever drained the tank completely to see exactly how much fuel will go in?

I noticed on my last tank that my mileage seemed lower than I thought it should have been, but then again it's hard to tell exactly how full I'm getting the tank on each fill-up. Could I be off by a half-gallon or more from one tank to another? Possibly. I fill it to about an inch from the top of the filler neck in trying to keep it consistent.

Maybe that's how you hit 50 that time? Do you have a set mark that you normally fill to, with the bars set in the same position to set the tank at a preferred angle?

• Mr. Miyagi
          Mr. Miyagi commented
          Editing a comment
          I was putting in around 3.5 gallons, I didn't run it until the fuel light came on, 144 miles on 1st tank and 150 miles and 3.6 on the 2nd tank.

I was just saying that the other day to a buddy..I’m damn near outta gas and I just filled up ! Averaging 35-40
        no where near the mileage I got from my carb’d ‘04 averaged 45-50 mpg
        2009 Roady
        2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          Relatively speaking, the difference in fuel price/consumption is cheap. It's the range that bugs me the most. Trying to decide if it's worth the trade-off.

Carb was 150 miles / tank 165 on reserve
        FI is 120-130/ tank.. I don’t run on reserves, it’s too hot here..don’t wanna burn up the pump
        2009 Roady
        2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

Originally posted by KFallsRider View Post
          Carb was 150 miles / tank 165 on reserve
          FI is 120-130/ tank.. I don’t run on reserves, it’s too hot here..don’t wanna burn up the pump
          Yeah the FI bikes don't have the "reserve" since there is no petcock. So you want to be careful on how low you go.

Shores, do you run straight gas or an ethanol blend? I didn't state in my mileage results that I typically run the 10% ethanol as it's the most common (and sometimes only) option. I do however run straight gas the last few tanks of the season before I put the bike up with stabilizer for the winter.

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            I use 10% ethanol 87 octane. It's hard for me to find non ethanol 87.

I fill my tank to the absolute max, but that isn’t how I determine mileage. I do the math dividing the miles driven by the gallons consumed using my purchase receipts. I ran it completely dry once not on purpose. Didn’t burn up the pump. I don’t think that will damage a Roadstar fuelie pump. Lugnut says it will damage a Stratoliner pump.

Comment

• MidnightRide
            MidnightRide commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you recall how much fuel it took when you ran it dry that time? I'm curious how much you got in there, not that I'd ever want to run a fuelie dry.

Originally posted by Shores View Post
          I fill my tank to the absolute max, but that isn’t how I determine mileage. I do the math dividing the miles driven by the gallons consumed using my purchase receipts. I ran it completely dry once not on purpose. Didn’t burn up the pump. I don’t think that will damage a Roadstar fuelie pump. Lugnut says it will damage a Stratoliner pump.
          Cracks plastic housing from heat on theibersnwhen aux tank gets dry...$600 pump assembly
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

The roadies aren’t affected..?
            2009 Roady
            2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post

Cracks plastic housing from heat on theibersnwhen aux tank gets dry...$600 pump assembly
              Roadstar or Stratoliner?

Comment

The logic is that they both would be susceptible to crack if the reserve portion of fuel is to cool the pump..and not to shock it with cold fuel and high engine temp

edit: I just looked at the pumps and they’re different ..so maybe the R* is ok
                2009 Roady
                2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

Shores, so you calculate your mileage for the entire trip, based on overall mileage and fuel consumption, not really just a single tank, giving you a better running average. I tend to go per tank, because riding conditions can vary, such as 2-up vs. solo, on the gas vs. cruising, climbing vs. flatland, etc. But your method certainly provides a better running average.

You fill right to the rim, huh? Maybe I'll try that on the next tank. Certainly does guarantee consistency. The fuel tends to splash on the tank once I get within an inch or so of the rim.

That's weird not having a reserve. Then you'd REALLY have to trust your gauge, odometer, or both.

On the way down on this last trip I went though a couple of those radar speed indicators that tell you your speed (and to slow down). It seemed my speedo was off by 2-4 MPH at around 60. I'll have to check it more carefully next time, because it would seem if the speedo's off then so would the odometer. I've had those issues with 4x4's and big tires, but I can't think of anything on my bike that would throw things off, particularly with relatively new tires that should still be the correct height.

Anyone else had that issue with their speedo possibly being off?

Comment

• Brad_G
                    Brad_G commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, I typically run just 5 over posted. So 2 lane highway I run 65 on the speedometer figuring I'm at 60. I have a GPS speed tracking app and a route tracking app. So have other means to verify my speed. 32/33 on the speedometer is ~30.

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Mr. Miyagi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The speedo is usually off on the metric bikes. you can run the interstate at 60 and time the mile markers or download a GPS app and compare the numbers real time. Do try to be careful looking at your phone while riding.

I have a 2009 purchased new, all stock. I am 72 ride rather conservately always two up ( can't get it out of the garage without the wife being on the back). I weigh 200 she is about 125. I always get around 43 mpg on ethanol free gas. Reserve light comes on at 140, ready for a rest by then. As mentioned just hit the button and ride for 29k trouble free miles!

Comment

Y'all should not think so much, you're hurting the team! When I ran out, my friend brought me a 5 gallon gas can from his house and said that it was full so that's all I know that it took the entire can. But just check the manual, it will tell you what you hold based on their recommendation to fill it to the bottom of the lip. I usually put in a little more and just milk the gas pump handle carefully so that I don't splash it. Most pump handles work fine, some not so well. I generally ride long distances and not around town so when I got 50 miles per gallon it was based on 23 gallons I consumed coming back from Baker City. My results I'm sure we're because I was on the freeway a lot and had my throttle lock on. Generally I get 38 to 42 miles per gallon on my weekend 250 mile rides. Remember that your speedometer reads fast so that means that your odometer is going to record more miles than you actually have ridden which probably makes your gas mileage even worse. I have a speedo healer on mine so my speedometer is dead on with my GPS but I don't know how that affects the odometer. I don't worry about it, I just ride and have a good time!

Comment

• MidnightRide
                      MidnightRide commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a lot of good information. The fact that you got 50 mpg over 23 gallons is even more impressive. Must be some kind of a record for a fuelie.

I killed it in my van one time while making a run to Texas from Las Vegas. Got 26 MPG when I normally get around 23. I figured it had something to do with running down the backside of the Rockies or some other range so essentially I was going downhill most of the way, really boosting my mileage.

I don't trust the manual because that's a recommendation rather than true capacity. That's why I did my own test that one time. An online source says 5.3 gallons for an '01, but I got 5.75 into a virtually dry tank. Yours is supposed to hold 4.7. I'd put just enough gas in it to roll to a gas station about 1/2 mile away. That was all for a test I did on the old RSC site.

If I thought I could get even 45 on an FI, that would safely get me 180 miles with nearly a gallon still in the tank. Not bad.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by JHouse, 5 days ago
                  17 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post dbtk44
                  by dbtk44

Started by Rooster85, 2 weeks ago
                  11 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Rooster85