Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carburator

Hello Brother's of the Road,
    I have been riding motorcycles now for about thirty years, and i am ashamed to say that i have never touched a carburator. I have done some bike work, like.. oil and filter, removed wheels, replaced fuel level sensor, adjusted belt tension, but.....but..... the carbutor to me is like heart surgery. Brothers, do you have any helping words for me?

Take notes and lots of pictures during dis-assembly…

what are you trying to accomplish by getting into your carb…?

Comment

i bought i a bike from a second owner who could not tell me what was changed to the bike. I am conte nt with the performance but it is hard to compair if you did not ride another road star. the bike has a k N air filter and pipes that nobody on the site can identify. Should i do open heart surgery even though i am only a general practice

Comment

• roadiemort
        roadiemort commented
        Editing a comment
        If it is running fine I would leave it alone as it must have been rejeted already.

• Brad_G
        Brad_G commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with roadiemort, if it ain't broken don't fix it. Just ride the snot out of it

Before you attempt to dissect the carb…

1. look in the exhaust pipe…. Is it excessively sooty or black/oily residue when you rub your finger in it??

2. remove and examine the spark plugs… are they a dry greyish color or black/wet/sooty…?

3. is the air filter clean or oily..???

why self inflict potential problems if these simple things all pass inspection… another member recently disected his carb and missed a washer and o-ring during re-assembly…. Self inflicted mayhem… took him a bit of time to figurr that one out…. Is that something you are willing to risk just for the sake of knowing hoe your carb is set up? Especially if the above observations pass inspection…

remember…. The roadstar is a cruiser not a crotch rocket…. Don’t try to make it something its not…!

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep in mind that he said excessive soot in the exhaust. You will have some soot on your finger when rubbing the inside of the exhaust. Black soot in some amount is just a byproduct of an internal combustion engine so you will have some. It just shouldn't be a thick layer. You will even have some on your computer control emission controlled/efficient car but not as much as on your carb bike. A water cooled vehicle runs at a leaner AFR than your air cooled carb bike so the car will be a bit less carbon in the tailpipe. I usually don't suggest that to people as an indicator because it can and usually is a false read by an inexperienced person.

• Tcontrol
        Tcontrol commented
        Editing a comment
        Davej….

The key to what i said was “ excessive “OR” black/oily…” (indicates an excessively rich air/fuel mixture for the current engine condition)…

That check is also worthless without looking at the spark plugs …..i didnt leave that part out …

And finally… air filter condition…. If the filter is soaked in oil and not allowing the proper amount of air flow…. Excessively rich condition…

Now the one key i left out was the quality of spark at each spark plug…. These motors have a weak point with the spark… usually traced to a bad connection from the coil wires to the spark plug boot… that would typically show as a one wet/black spark plug… or maybe two wet/black spark plugs…

troubleshooting is a step by step technique…. Each test step leads to another test step…. Until…. The problem is isolated, identified, and resolved… skip steps… invalid conclusions…!

I offered pointers for why an engine might be running rich…… i suppose someone may just check one thing and be deceived…. But the information i offered taken as a whole is very informative…. If the individidual takes shortcuts and doesnt follow the whole process…. Than yes… mistakes can happen…

thats the difference between a good mechanic and a bad mechanic…. Changing the jetting without resolving other issues doesnt really solve anything… usually makes things worse…!!

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        Tcontrol I acknowledged that you said "excessive" I just wanted to stress "that point" in your comment because a lot of people think that any black at all is an indication of rich. They want to wipe a spotless clean pipe. lol

I’d second the opinion..*If it ain’t broke
      there are lots of tech articles to make you scratch your head..but read everything you can to find out about it.
      Tearing in to it is not for the faint hearted or if your skill set isn’t up to par.
      I had an 04 that just drove me crazy..chuffing and erratic idle. Needless to say I had that carb apart at least 50 times.
      If your having issues with it there are Guru’s here to help…or are you just curious?
      Got a lawnmower? Start with that ..lol
      2009 Roady
      2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

1When i took out the old plugs last year they looked light grey, i just put my fingers in the tail pipe and they came out black. I can get 100 miles/hr out her, that's not bad . how often should you clean your air filter? I cleaned mine twice last year

Comment

• davej
          davej commented
          Editing a comment
          might be a good time to clean it again. cleaning it won't hurt anything it can only help or make no noticeable difference at all.

Your plugs indicate a good fuel burn… i am assuming the black tailpipe is not black greasy/ oil residue.. what you described would be normal carbon deposits for the air cooled carbed engine…. Don’t mess with the carb…. It is operating just fine…

air filter cleaning doesnt have a rock solid achedule in my honest experience… if the rocker cover vent tube is still attached to the back of the filter housing… high RPM’s and dogging the hell out of the motor (you quick acceleration nuts out there) tend to soak the filter with oil quicker than a moderate rider…. Dusty roads,…. Mileage ridden etc… etc…

In other words…. It depends on your riding style …. You would be the best judge of your cleaning/maintenance needs…

Comment

My problem is a little different than Scorcher's...on a long ride yesterday I caught heavy rain for about 20 minutes through the mountains...running 40-45 mph. Everything was fine. Then when I came to a stop, engine sputtered & was difficult to keep running...from a complete stop, tried starting & engine bogged down. Revved it pretty good & was able to get it to "drag" past 600-700 rpm & everything's fine. Next stop, same thing. I headed home & the whole way, bike ran fine at 750 rpm & higher, but would not idle & startup was hard on the clutch 'cause I had to rev it so high...I replaced the starter relay solenoid 4500 miles ago. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks!

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't think too hard you'll hurt the team! If it was running fine before the rain then the rain was your problem. You just need to get the water out of the fuel system. You can either keep driving it and hope the water gets sucked through with the fuel or you can drain the carburetor bowl.

• Mr. Miyagi
            Mr. Miyagi commented
            Editing a comment
            750 RPM is a little low on the idle, 900 RPM is much more betterer, The engine won't oil right at 750 RPM.

The water is not in his fuel system….. the air filter is soaked on the front side due to the rain…. Clean and dry your air filter….

Comment

Shores - still raining but will try that & will dry the air filter (thanks, Tcontrol!)

And thanks to Mr Myagi / will reset idle.

Comment

Wow 750? That’s a potato potato too low 950 is recommended
              2009 Roady
              2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

OK guys...did not get to drying the air filter last night...the rain let up this morning, so I hit the road...for the 1st 5 miles, my '07 would only run fully choked...when I would push the choke in, it would bog down as if I had turned the key off. Got out on a straight & gunned it - it hesitated & then evened out. I pushed the choke in & ran smoothly. Ran 20 miles without a hitch. Starts & idles fine. Filled up in case "bad" gas was part of the problem. My guess is the air filter & maybe some water in the carb. Thanks to all 3 of you for your suggestions. Oh, I boosted the idle to 900...thanks for that too! Chubmanjoe

Comment

• Shores
                  Shores commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you got the water sucked out!

Wait till you wash it without covering the air cleaner….. learn the hard way….!!!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Renegade, 2 weeks ago
                32 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post davej
                by davej

Started by Aussiestar, 10 hours ago
                7 responses
                1 like