From Dunlop D404 to Commander II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Dunlop D404 to Commander II

So, I bought my 2003 Roadstar in 2012 and I've been riding on the D404 since then. I used to ride crotch rockets only before and when I moved to the RS, I had to change my riding habit. The RS just didn't feel sure footed. Through the years I've had my my concerns with my RS becasue i'm used to incredible performance. I'm very mechanically inclined and basically took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it, but it never rode to my standards. All of the suspension is upgraded, from Racetech front end to revalved and sprung shocks. Head bearings changed to tapered. Still, with all that work the bike had, it never felt sure footed in corners. It alway felt I could lose it at any time. If I throttled at speed really leaned over, the whole bike wobbled from what I thought was it being pushed to hard. If I let go of the handle bars, a low to violent progression of a tank slapper took affect. I just learned how to ride the bike to its limits. This year I got tired of changing the D404 every year so I thought I'd try the Commander II, which last longer. After the install, I took the bike out for a spin. The first corner, I almost crashed. I almost dropped the bike. I pushed into the corner and in just kept leaning to no end. The bike felt like I was riding on rails. I almost forgot what that sensation felt like. The bike was so precise in each corner. The bike felt stable and planted. OMG, this whole time I thought cruiser were just poop in corners. It was the tires all these years. 10 years of learning how to handle crap handling for nothing. I decided to try to let go of the handle bar, expecting the tank slapper like usual and nope, she stayed straight. I'm learning how to ride this bike all over again. It's a totally different sensation With the tires. Going into a turn the d404, i would keep pressure on the handle bar to stay leaned over and it stood itself up once i stopped pushing on the bar. The MC, you give a little push and it leans and stay there until you stand it up again. I just wanted to share this info and I hope it helps someone who is just not happy with the ride on the RS. It feels like I bought a whole new bike and I'm loving it.

That's interesting, now to find out how long the Commander II tires will wear. Please keep us posted.

Comment

I’ve been running MC II’s for quite awhile…..my last rear tire was 10k and I ride hard. Unfortunately when it finally needed changed I was on the NW Starfest trip last year and No had any MC’s in stock so I have a different rear on now and there is a difference. I will be switching back to the MC III’s when it’s time to replace. Unless I go Darkside….

Comment

All the Dunlap tires I've used were crap. Learn that long ago.

Comment

I've had good luck with Shinko tires in terms of grip. Though I only get 6 months out of them. In PA we can't ride the whole year so no big deal. I get 2 riding seasons out of the front though. Those tires you mentioned look nice. I might have to try them.

Comment

Just watch your ass end in a torkkey corner, they'll brake loose in a controlled way if u goose it.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
              Just watch your ass end in a torkkey corner, they'll brake loose in a controlled way if u goose it.
              Your statement is accurate, It's broken loose on me twice already but nothing scary, like you said. When I rev match aggressively while down shifting, I hear the rear chirping which never happened with the d404 so I do believe that the grip is not as good as the D404. But the many benefits is totally worth it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mlrz24 View Post
                I've had good luck with Shinko tires in terms of grip. Though I only get 6 months out of them. In PA we can't ride the whole year so no big deal. I get 2 riding seasons out of the front though. Those tires you mentioned look nice. I might have to try them.
                The options were the MC or the Shinko 777. I went with the MC instead of the 777 because of the mileage. The 777 supposedly has better grip, but only get round 6000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
                  All the Dunlap tires I've used were crap. Learn that long ago.
                  I only kept with dunlop because I'm a major fan of their Supersport tires (q3's lines). They won me over from Metler and Michelin in term of price, mileage, feel and traction. I'm very disappointed with their d404 offering now that i know better. I've had about 7 sets during the 10 years so it's the actual tire model because they all rode the same.

I tried the Perelli Supercorsa on my track bike for a change and the first lap out i crashed, so that just made my bond with Dunlop even tighter so natually i went for thier cruiser tires as well. Lesson learned.

Its crazy to see that all the work I did on the bike to make it ride like a dream was always there, the tires just nullified what I was supposed to feel

Comment

At first it sounded like you had alignment issues.

I too went from feeling uneasy to feeling I finally have a ride after going to new tires front and rear. My old rear tire (came with the bike) was flat-spotted so running at lean angles felt very unstable due to the sharp corner angle the rear tire had developed. Now it's so nice that I don't even want to run the bike because I don't want to wear the tires out except under inspiring conditions! Haven't ridden 2-up since I put the tires on, LOL.

I went with the Shinko's. Our riding season is short so I'll likely get a lot of years out of them. I too went from sport bikes to the RS. My former tire of choice was the dual compound Bridgestones, hard in the center and soft on the sides. Those tires were great on my Suzuki RS900R.

Comment

Its too bad the Commander 2 tires are not avaiable with white walls. I currently have Metzler 888 Marathons on the front and back and they seem to be ok, but looking at changing them out with another brand with white walls.
                      "Don't ride faster than your angel can fly"

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpman66 View Post
                        Its too bad the Commander 2 tires are not avaiable with white walls. I currently have Metzler 888 Marathons on the front and back and they seem to be ok, but looking at changing them out with another brand with white walls.
                        I tried to switch from my 888 WWWs to another brand and was disappointed so I went back to the 888s. I tried continental legends last time and they only lasted about 10,000 miles, the front cupped horribly and the rear went all the way through to the chords. Dunlops suck, Shinko's ware out too fast, Avons are too expensive, Bridgestone's suck, etc.

Comment

I bought my bike with a brand new set of Kendas on it, I have not tried another brand yet so I have nothing to report other than this brand hasn't been mentioned.

Comment

• Shores
                            Shores commented
                            Editing a comment
                            FPB has used them but for me, they don't come in white walls.

does DUNSLOP still have age old tread pattern of that tire for 3-5 decades? Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post

I tried to switch from my 888 WWWs to another brand and was disappointed so I went back to the 888s. I tried continental legends last time and they only lasted about 10,000 miles, the front cupped horribly and the rear went all the way through to the chords. Dunlops suck, Shinko's ware out too fast, Avons are too expensive, Bridgestone's suck, etc.
                            Ok thanks Shores good to know!
                            "Don't ride faster than your angel can fly"

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by BloodMoney, 17 minutes ago
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post BloodMoney  
                            Started by Druegeme, 2 hours ago
                            3 responses