Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    Problem resolutions are always helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

• Hairless Hippy
    replied
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. You guys are invaluable to any roadstar owner and I'm glad to be part of the group.

My mistake when putting it back together with the new bearing is that I put it in backwards so when I pulled it, it ripped all the inners of the bearing out . Lol. I did read that I needed to put it in correct orientation (above) but didn't really pay attention to that.

Ordered replacement bearing, installed correctly and now it works great.

Figured this issue needed some closure to maybe help someone else in the future.

Thanks again for the help

Pete

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    the plates are/were not seated properly when installed. When you open it back up you will find the plates are loose in the basket. take the barrnett back off reseat the disc and reinstall the Barrnett. when all the springs are tq'd the plates should be tight together with no space between them so you shouldn't be able to wiggle them in the basket.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like you need to get a service manual and follow the procedure.

• Hairless Hippy
    replied
    I installed the new bearing and put everything back together. I adjusted the clutch it seemed good. After I added oil I started in neutral. I then pulled the clutch in and had resistance and was about to put it in first gear and heard a clunk in the clutch went completely loose. I'm assuming I'm no longer on the clutch rod connecting to that little tooth thing that pulls the clutch plate out. Such a disappointment. Have you guys had this happen before? It seems like it just disconnected maybe it wasn't seated all the way when I put that side cover on.

Leave a comment:

• Bikerron
    commented on 's reply
    7003B is the bearing.

• Bikerron
    commented on 's reply
    Only thing that could shorten its life like that is lack of free play. It’d be spinning every minute going down the road.

• MikeyC
    replied
    Did you check that you have the pressure plate rotated and completely seated? It’s like one or two paper thicknesses differences but causes what you describe

Leave a comment:

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    interesting to see a bearing that lives in a oil bath in that condition.

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    if he gets a side load bearing he better make sure its install the right way.

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    A magnetic drain plug might also be a good idea.

• Duke
    replied
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    I would just replace the bearing. Most bearing shops will have this bearing. Ask them about a bearing that takes a lot of side forces. I believe that there is 3 styles, the last time I checked. If I run across the bearing number, I'll let you know.

You might want to flush out the bottom end and replace the oil & filter. Then run it for about 30 miles and replace the oil and filter again. JMO

Leave a comment:

• D-Fresh
    replied
    Yikes! That doesn't look good at all! Let us know how it all works out. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Hairless Hippy
    replied
    you guys are really awesome for helping me work through this problem.. I would not have been able to do it without you!!

I think we're getting somewhere..

I took off barnett clutch plate and noticed there was metal shavings radially emanating out in the back of the plate from the center.

when I inspected further it seemed the bearings in the middle were not really in the middle of the hole.

it became obvious that there was a problem with the bearings and maybe more bad parts in the middle of the pressure plate.

I think all those center components came with the plate and weren't moved over from old assembly.

do you think we may have found the culprit?? I guess I will be contacting barnett.. they seems like a solid company so I hope they can do something for me..

see pics..

Leave a comment:

• Tcontrol
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	78EA05A0-2104-4A1A-B231-512908152C11.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	929.6 KB
ID:	141876
    personally i think this looks pretty worn and i suspect the arm is worn too…. Did you ever mark the shaft/arm connection to confirm it isn’t slipping?…. A dot of fingernail polish may be your best indication…

Leave a comment:

• Tcontrol
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6B93CCC3-1573-40E0-9E83-2C00399FF37A.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	141873 Click image for larger version

Name:	E401409B-CB55-4CE4-B5EB-25C4C038FABA.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	141874
    it would appear that your missing something… the shaft is splined at both ends…. Either the arm is slipping on the shaft end where the clutch cable connects or the shaft is slipping on the pin that releases the clutch pressure plate tension…

is there too much play in the bushing/pin (part #4) that allows slippage…? ( i would think you would feel a pop when it slips a tooth)

is the cable arm slipping… again i would think you would feel that with tension on the cable….

you may want to inspect your friction discs…. Maybe they are not installed correctly and excessive wear on one/ two of them…. Make sure they alternate (friction plate/ clutch plate)… you may want to inspect the barnett pressure plate very closely…. Something should pop out at you….

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Have you tried repositioning the lever arm one spline on the shaft that goes into the clutch?

Leave a comment:

• Hairless Hippy
    commented on 's reply
    the spring on the lever is there and seems to be working.. I dont know.. I can take it and move that lever it back further with my hand.. maybe that spring is going? It seemed strong to me when twisting it by hand but..... could that be the problem? a spring not moving arm back fully after release? and then I just kept tightening until there was nothing left.

• davej
    replied
    is the return spring on the lever that the cable attaches to broken?

Leave a comment:

• Hairless Hippy
    replied
    I'd love to say I opened it up and the teeth were all chattered but everything looked pretty good.. the bearings seemed good.. it rolled well.. someone local suggested the clutch I installed 18 months ago could be dragging and thats why the arm bottomed out. I'm considering reassembling and try again.. should I take friction plates out and inspect? that rod in the side case spins freely.. does the top spring that push's the "arm" back after letting go of the clutch go bad? maybe its that rod in side plate that does not return.. I'm just guessing.. well I have it apart so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them..

thanks.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by WobblyBoot, 2 days ago
15 responses
0 likes
Last Post Sharpman66  
Started by Aussiestar, 3 hours ago
3 responses
1 like