Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up Speed Star cdi...question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up Speed Star cdi...question...

I read this raises rev limit to 5500..is this true? I was going to throw this in my black 03 Midnight (longshots, jetted carb, round K&N air intake, AIS removed). Certainly don't need 5500 rpm would be happier with 5000. I imagine when bike falls over I'll just shift but didn't know why Yamaha would make such a high rev limit unless it's to be matched with cam/springs. Is it a different timing curve or just rpm increase?
    LET'S RIDE

I was thinking along the same lines as it pertains to the Dyna 3000, whether I could just beef the valve springs and stay stock, keeping some throttle discipline along the way. Are the springs the only weak spot? Never heard of your Speed Star however. My Suzuki made max HP at 10,900 rpm, so 5500 seems so light in comparison!

Comment

I looked it up in an old Speedstar accessories book and all it says is that it increases RPM to 5500. It don't say that it has adjustable RPM like a Dyna3000 or that timing is adjustable. I also believe you are correct in assuming that it is intended to be used with other Speedstar performance items. I know that there have been many here in the past that have used them without any issue though. I have my Dyna 3000 set at 5500 and believe me you will want to shift before it gets there. After you hit 5000rpm it gets a little scary and you will want to shift, but it will be there if you want it.

Comment

If I were to install the Dyna3000 on my 2007 what benefits would I get from it? Would I have to do any other upgrades? Things already done Pumpless, rejetted carb, K&N filter, ported intake, cobra long pipes

Comment

https://manualzz.com/doc/23473094/dy...--owner-manual

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightRide View Post
            My Suzuki made max HP at 10,900 rpm, so 5500 seems so light in comparison!
            What was your Suzie, inline 4? Kind of like comparing a Ferrari engine to a big 'ol Cummins. Apples and oranges.

Comment

• MidnightRide
              MidnightRide commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just noting that when you're used to a 12k redline, 5k takes some getting used to!

Scroll down and check the specs on these highly-underrated go-carts. I really recommend these bikes for someone looking for a 'budget' grin generator. Plenty out there for $1500-3000, and worth every penny!

https://bikeswiki.com/Suzuki_RF900

• Brad_G
              Brad_G commented
              Editing a comment
              MidnightRide no doubt. The RPM/torque bandwidth is far different. Similar to being in a high gear and rolling on the throttle without downshifting. It's a different feel for sure.

I think it is only rev limit from everything I have read ...I'm not one to keep the throttle twisted while the front end noses over lol. Just nice to not hit the limiter at 4250 rpm. Might actually be getting stronger valve springs from Orient racing for a good price as well (will keep for when I amass all the parts for cam/springs and maybe big bore)
            LET'S RIDE

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NCB View Post
              If I were to install the Dyna3000 on my 2007 what benefits would I get from it? Would I have to do any other upgrades? Things already done Pumpless, rejetted carb, K&N filter, ported intake, cobra long pipes
              Yeah according to the link above posted by
              roadiemort , if you want to push the RPM beyond 5000 you'll need to go to heavier valve springs, but that's it. But as davej states, I'm wondering if pushing it past 5000 will be something any of us want to do, even with the spring upgrade?

DaveJ, did you swap out your valve springs, or are you running stock?

I think a Dyna3000 is definitely in my future. Pretty versatile unit overall.

Comment

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the Orient Express springs on mine. My bike is full mod Big Bore with everything performance that can be purchased for a R*.

The critical factor is where is the power band? It's my understanding that no extra power or torque is gained by going beyond 5000. Shifting at peak torque RPM will give you the fastest acceleration possible. You can't put lipstick on a pig!

Comment

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine is still pulling past 5000. But obviously not stock. I would think a stock bike would poop out at around 5000

Comment

I have had one in my 03 for about 15 years now. it's not adjustable, I don't think I have ever hit the limit, the valves float before you get there. I believe they offered it for the stage 4 build. haven't had any issues with it but I don't push my bike too often.
              not all those who wander are lost......

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
                so you can put lipstick on a pig. lol
                You can't do it, only the pig can do it!

Comment

Well I got the Orient springs and a new upgraded oil pump gear coming...I think the springs are just for a 1700...anyone verify that? I might start keeping an eye out for pistons and cams for my 1700 in the bobber (honestly just for sound more than anything) .
                  LET'S RIDE

Comment

Just remember that the 1600s have a 1.9 to one rocker ratio and the 1700s have 1.4 to one, making the 1600 lifter pressure a lot greater with higher tension springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke View Post
                      Just remember that the 1600s have a 1.9 to one rocker ratio and the 1700s have 1.4 to one, making the 1600 lifter pressure a lot greater with higher tension springs.
                      I'll check out the package when I get them for sure ...new unopened but apparently years ago they made 1600 springs andb1700....time to start collecting parts ..
                      LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Duke View Post
                        Duke, So you and me had this discussion on the phone and I don't remember the conclusion to this question. What would happen if you used a 1600 rocker assembly on a 1700? Wouldn't that be about the same as using a little higher lift cam? I know that in the Yamaha dyno charts that equally modified stage 4 Speedstar modified engines that the 1600 has higher dyno numbers than a 1700. Is that because of the rocker ratio?

Comment

I if just want to do JUST cams, hi comp 10.5-1 pistons and these upgraded valve springs (assuming the spring package comes with retainers and locks...really want more chop and snap...more sound than actual power...what other mods would I need?
                          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Duke
                            Duke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If your only going for radical sound at idle then play with pms screw to get the crappie idle sound.
                            The stock cams are perfect for our lower rpm bikes. Increasing cam profile then it will increase the rpms power curve.

• davej
                            davej commented
                            Editing a comment
                            JE pistons are 10:25 not 10.5. I wouldn't buy the Wiseco 10.5 pistons they had a big issue with them breaking and destroying the engine. If you want it to be 10.5 shave the head.

The 1600 rocker assembly is completely different and the only way it could be done is to use the head accordingly. The 1700 cam has a larger lift then the 1600 cams. The lift of the 1700 cam is way to much for the 1600, but a person could have the 1700 cams ground down to make a hot rod 1600.
                          Just to compare rocker / cam differences;
                          Let say cam bump (lift), is .250” x 1.9 rocker ratio = .475” valve lift. The 1700 rocker ratio of 1.4 to one would be, .250” x 1.4 = .350” valve lift.
                          I wish that there was some aftermarket rockers that would have different ratios for us motor heads to tinker with.
                          I did read a article that show some one welded the push rod pockets and redid the pockets further out to increase the ratio. The only way I’d ever consider that, it would be on the 1700 rockers.

Comment

• davej
                            davej commented
                            Editing a comment
                            But PR sells (when they had 1600 cams) the same lift cam for both 1600 & 1700. It's a 400 lift cam. So are you saying the 1600 rockers wouldn't work on a 1700? what would it change the cam lift too? his cams are 400 lift / 238 duration.

• Duke
                            Duke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dave, the cams are ground different to make the valve lift the same, .400”. The 1600 cam bump would be .21052”. (1.9 x .21052 = .400” lift).
                            The 1700 cam bump would be .28571”.
                            (1.4 x 28571 = .400” lift).

I've heard a road star with hi comp pistons and cams and not big bore kit and it sounded much better than my stock CR and cam bikes....I know it would not add much performance but would be interested in replicating the sound. Too bad we can't get .565 lift cams like the HD crowd....definitely sounds better...
                          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• davej
                            davej commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Duke when PR sold 1600 cams they were the same 400 lift / 238 duration as the 1700's. There is just some other dimension differences that make them different from what I understand.

• Duke
                            Duke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The difference is the rocker arm ratio. The rocker arms are totally different. Remember the 1600 rocker arm shafts are solid and smaller in diameter. 1700 has a hollow shaft and larger in diameter.

• davej
                            davej commented
                            Editing a comment
                            so the whole rocker plate assembly won't fit? I thought all the gaskets on the topside were the same so that should mean that it would bolt down, Right?

Latest Posts

Collapse

BubbaKahuna
                        Administrator
                        Tykes_Place
                        Admin
                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by penningpd, 16 hours ago
                        15 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post davej  
                        Started by Jeanson105, 2 hours ago