Getting ready for winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for winter storage

So winter comes early here in the mountains, and I'm thinking it'll soon be time for me to store the bike in the garage til next spring..

Just had a couple questions about proper winter storage..

First of all, would it be okay to use a fuel stabilizer like Star-Tron or would it be better to just drain the tank and run the carb dry?

I'll be keeping the battery indoors on a trickle charger so that's no concern, might even replace it with a Yuasa next year since it seems to be unable to start my bike on its own under 40 degrees.. big shout out to Shores for informing me about the Noco GB40, I just got one like a week ago and that little beast fires the bike right up every time! Awesome purchase for sure..

Second of all, can I just wait til next spring to change the oil? From what I've read elsewhere many people say one should change the oil immediately before storage, I'd rather not because I just changed it a month ago right before my trip to Yellowstone so I'd rather just change it in the spring along with the filter..

Last question for now, is there anything I should do to prepare my tires for storage? They're Michelin Commanders and I absolutely love them and want them to last as long as possible, lol..

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions! The bike has been running absolutely perfect and I want to make sure it stays that way..

Also another question I've been wanting to ask.. y'all think I should switch to 10W-40 next year instead of the 20W-50 that I've been running? Next year I'll be riding the bike in all sorts of climates, from high alpine areas to the desert to the swamps to the beaches and everywhere in between so I wanna make sure I'm using the right oil for such an adventure..

Comment

Full fuel tank treated with Stabl, Seafoam, Techron Plus Concentrate or other ethanol stabilizer. I change to new oil in the spring. Move the bike around some to rotate tire contact with floor. 10-40 flows better in colder climates. Here in the Pacifoc Northwest, I’ve used 10-40 and 20-50 depending on the season when I change it. 10-40 allows engine to start and warm up easier which is when most of the ware occurs don’t you think?

Comment

Use synthetic 20w50 or 15w50 will be fine.

Startron is a cleaner not a stabilizer...put a couple ounces of StaBil in gas tank go and fill up and ride home. Turn petcock off and run it till she dies Put battery tender on it and leave it alone. Air up tires and leave them alone (they will loose 2-7 lbs over the winter). I would change oil in spring since you just changed it . I know people like to change oil before putting in storage...but unless you add oil via dip stick AND via plug under rear cylinder head you will start bike and let run 30 seconds to circulate oil which technically will contaminate oil. I don't think it makes much of a difference at all honestly if you put the bike away with old oil or fresh oil.. I do understand the idea of not having contaminated oil set against internal metal pieces. I also know that synthetic oils suspend particles in dirt better than conventional oils do and keep them away from internal parts. I also know that these bikes go over 200000 miles on conventional oil and I'm pretty sure not everyone is anal about Winter storage. It becomes a discussion on technical issues is issues not on big noticeable significant differences. But you do whatever you feel you should and whatever makes you comfortable.
        LET'S RIDE

Comment

I've been running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 since we got it running again back in May, but yeah I think the 20W-50 is much too thick for the cold.. I was kinda shitting bricks when the bike fired up in Montana, it was making this really loud rattling sound which I think is the oil sump pulling the cold oil, and it was also making this knocking sound that scared the hell out of me, I legit thought it was about to blow up

But it always stops knocking and sounds smooth as butter once it warms up and I always go easy on it so I don't think I managed to break anything vital yet..

Comment

I always put stabilizer in with a full tank. Run it a bit to work the treated fuel into the fuel system. I know several recommend changing oil before storage but I typically do it in the spring. If I get some nice days over the winter I may slip the bike out for a ride. I think it was a couple years ago I rode it on Christmas day. We had a very unusually warm day in Iowa (near 60 degrees). It was a wonderful feeling to get out and get some time on two wheels. Since I store my bike in my parents garage while they're gone for the winter I use the bike jack and roll it up to it's resting spot so it's not on the tires.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by EnergyGuy, 2 days ago
            2 responses
            1 like
            Last Post Jclevesque  
            Started by Ironman, 1 day ago
            1 response
            1 like
            Last Post Chooch