Just got back from a crazy adventure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back from a crazy adventure!

So Wednesday of last week I took the week off work, loaded all my camping gear onto the bike and rode up to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park!

Didn't take many pictures (my new avatar is one of only 2) but I have some stories to tell.. sorry for the poor format

Turns out I did over 1800 miles on the bike from start to finish over the course of 5 days... on the first day I messed up and ran out of gas between Muddy Gap and Lander WY, luckily this old dude who called himself Doc Jones pulled over right away and gave me a ride the rest of the way to Lander so I could buy a gas can, then he gave me a ride back to my bike! That man has a heart of gold and he totally saved my ass from having to push the bike 30 miles with no water

The next day I rode from Lander up to Red Lodge MT and camped in the Gallatin National Forest for the night, recorded Beartooth Pass on GoPro the next day which I'll be uploading soon so stay tuned for that

It got down to 33 degrees that night and into the morning at the campground and my cheap Chinese battery wasn't strong enough to start the bike on its own.. these nice people camping nearby gave me a jump though and the bike started up but boy the engine was making these godawful noises, sounded like it was knocking and rattling its guts out like an old Harley! I was like wtf is this thing about to blow up on me?? But I gave it like 15 minutes to warm up and it quieted down a bit, gently rode it down to Red Lodge for gas and it sounded smooth as butter within 20 minutes!

Then I recorded the video which y'all will soon see and rode through Cooke-City/Silver Gate into Yellowstone NP.. pictures don't do justice to that place, it's just something you have to see for yourself, it reminded me of another planet! Steaming pools of churning bubbling water and weird ass phenomenon absolutely everywhere.. I definitely recommend riding there and checking it out, it was definitely still really busy even this time of year though so be prepared to deal with a lot of dumb tourists who don't know how to park their car! Awesome roads to ride on though and really crazy views..

So the night after touring Yellowstone (yesterday night) I stayed at Lewis Lake Campground and it got pretty cold and rainy, and as it turns out my tent leaks so I woke up with a bunch of water in the tent and feeling cold and hungry, couldn't really sleep anyway since my sleeping bag has a broken zipper and kept letting cold air in, plus my camping pad was thin and crappy so I was really uncomfortable sleeping.. I enjpyed the riding and camping parts of it, but hated going to sleep at night!! Definitely going to upgrade my gear for the next trip (Glacier NP).. bigger tent, warmer sleeping bag, better sleeping pad, etc. I also need to install some type of charging system on my bike so I can charge up power packs while I'm riding, it sucked not being able to charge my vape with the solar panel! It just wasn't putting out enough juice..

My advice is don't skimp out on your camping/sleeping gear like I did or you'll be miserable and cold at night when you're trying to sleep! I got a really comfy camp chair so that was a really nice thing to have, I definitely recommend getting one like the Big Agnes that can fold up super small! Also make sure you have a lot of lights.. headlamps are superior, but I use multiple lights

So that morning after I woke up I was laying there in the wet tent and thought screw this I'm riding home a day early.. so I rode 712 miles home today, from Lewis Lake Campground in WY back to my home base in southern CO, the whole ride took about 15 hours from start to finish including gas stops and breaks and what not!

I'm honestly shocked that I was able to ride that far in one day, but I definitely felt myself starting to fade out towards the end of the ride.. I was probably doing 95-100 all the way home for the last 2 hours of the ride, I actually had what I think was a coyote run right out in front of me while I was doing 100+ mph, was only like 2 feet away from hitting it, that scared the hell out of me so I slowed down, was only like 4 miles from home too, almost hit that thing at top speed..

Also I was shredding up Hoosier Pass in the dark tonight and almost went off the edge of a hairpin curve, that was really scary too! I had quite a few close calls.. had this gigantic elk run out in the road in front of me in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, he had to have been 8 feet tall at the shoulder! Biggest antlers I've ever seen.. also this lady elk saw a truck and jumped off the edge of a 200 foot embankment, I was like yo wtf!!!! I'm sure there's more things I'm forgetting but it was such a wild ride..

And the bike seems to be running better than it was before I left for the trip! I have no doubt this thing is going to run forever...

Well just wanted to share my crazy story and get it down on file before I forget the finer details, hope y'all enjoy! There will definitely be more..

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...iABEgJDUPD_BwE

Comment

Get best cca battery from yuasa that will fit
      upgrade headlight (and passing lights if you have them) and brake light to LED
      2 gal gas gan fits nicely on passenger floorboards (secured with bungee straps

Did 5400 miles in 13 days and with ED seats and roadwing shock it was very doable doing 500-750 miles a day. I mostly run shellbrotellabT6 and change every season or 3k miles on most of my bikes...but if going for a long trip and/or in extreme temperature ill splurge for Amsoil vtwin (best rated for most everything but $50 vs 22 for a gallon jug)
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, except for the rain and leaky tent.

Comment

Forgive me for asking an obvious question……

if you discovered a bad zipper, leaky tent, and a “too thin” sleeping pad…….

why did you not visit the nearest store that sells camping gear (wallmart, target, sporting goods.. etc)
          and replace the unsatisfactory equipment….???

comfortable nights can be a world of difference in a good morning and a good disposition….

Comment

Down here in Florida rain capital of the United States, no matter what tent you got, you throw and slope a tarp over it and ground stake or tree tie it all four corners. And put your tent on the ground where the rain won't come from uphill and under tent. Piled Palm fronds ,dull side up, make for soft foundation and provide drainage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tcontrol View Post
              Forgive me for asking an obvious question……

if you discovered a bad zipper, leaky tent, and a “too thin” sleeping pad…….

why did you not visit the nearest store that sells camping gear (wallmart, target, sporting goods.. etc)
              and replace the unsatisfactory equipment….???

comfortable nights can be a world of difference in a good morning and a good disposition….
              I did consider that, but I had already spent a whole lot of money on the trip at that point between gas and food and other random expenses that came up along the way so I really didn't wanna spend more, plus Lewis Lake Campground isn't exactly very close to any big name stores, lol...

I look at it now as more of a learning experience and will definitely be replacing it all with better gear for my next trip!

Also I burned a hole in my exhaust-side saddlebag cuz the zipties holding it up over the pipe broke on the way home without me realizing and it sank down and laid against the pipe so I'm gonna have to figure out how to patch that up, I kinda do want some hard saddlebags though but the leather ones it came with are really nice and it sucks that I burnt a hole in it!

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
                Down here in Florida rain capital of the United States, no matter what tent you got, you throw and slope a tarp over it and ground stake or tree tie it all four corners. And put your tent on the ground where the rain won't come from uphill and under tent. Piled Palm fronds ,dull side up, make for soft foundation and provide drainage.
                Thanks for the advice man! I definitely need to be more prepared for rain and cold next time I go on a trip like this

Also I could've saved money by cooking but I was deep in grizzly bear country and was paranoid about cooking at camp so I ate out most of the time, ended up spending a lot of money that way haha, more than I intended to for sure!

Also I tried to upload my videos of the Beartooth Highway but it gave me an error message for some reason, anybody know how I could get em posted on here for your entertainment?

Comment

LordOfTheBuzzards, setup an account on a 3rd party hosting site (YouTube, Imgur, etc) and link the video here. We can watch it and it doesn't go against the bandwidth usage of the clinic (which has caused some issues in the past).

Comment

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
                    LordOfTheBuzzards, setup an account on a 3rd party hosting site (YouTube, Imgur, etc) and link the video here. We can watch it and it doesn't go against the bandwidth usage of the clinic (which has caused some issues in the past).
                    Will do, thank you man!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by EnergyGuy, 2 days ago
                    2 responses
                    1 like
                    Last Post Jclevesque  
                    Started by Ironman, 1 day ago
                    1 response
                    1 like