Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Road Star Silverado that hasn't run in at least a year. What should I do first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Road Star Silverado that hasn't run in at least a year. What should I do first

I'm new to the V-Star/Road Star bikes so I'm frantically doing as much research as I can. Long story short, I just bought a 2005 Road Star, sight unseen, from an older woman (78 yr/old) whose husband died about 9 months ago after being hospitalized for at least 2 months. Prior to that he was 'very weak and had not ridden for awhile'. Given the nature of the situation, I was not able to get specifics, however I'm a friend of the family so can verify the story. I have not inspected the bike as it is far away, but it is being delivered at the end of the week. I know this sounds shady as heck, but the people I am dealing with are good people, and I trust them.

I'm looking for input on what to do when the bike arrives. It's been garaged on a battery tender since it was last parked, but I assumed the battery is shot. I'm assuming I'll need a new battery. Is there anything special I should be looking at? Right now I'm planning on a simple 12v, 310CCA from Autozone. Are there any tricks or tips for installing the new battery? Are there any batteries that are better for these bikes?

I'm also assuming the gas is bad and will be draining the tank. Is there an easy way to draining the tank? I'm currently planning on just using a simple transfer pump to pump out the old gas, unless there is a better, more efficient way to do it. The mileage is low, under 10k, but I have no idea if the plugs have been changed. How easy is it to change the plugs, and would that be beneficial? Same with the air cleaner - what's the typical change interval? Anything I should be looking at with the brakes?

Lastly - what am I missing - what else should I plan on doing prior to getting this beast on the road?

Thanks -

Battery not necessarily bad... I would charge battery properly, tighten battery terminals, drain gas from petcock and carb bowl, put in 1 gallon fresh 87 octane (not premium just 87) two ounces of seafoam motor treatment. Pull enricher all the way out and start it let it run on enricher full out for 5 seconds and then push half way I and let run for 3-4 minutes while trying to give it throttle. If that all works air the tires to 38 front and rear and take it for a spin.

Don't use dipstick to check/add oil (it's not accurate)... After riding a bit fill up tank all the way and add another 6 ounces seafoam (no more) and enjoy.

I would change oil and filter and at least check transfer Case fluid level... Maybe new spark plugs and fuel/air filters depending on mileage and how you are about maintenance.

Get a manual and ask questions here before doing things.... Road Stars are easy to work on but some things are a little different than other motorcycles.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
      Battery not necessarily bad... I would charge battery properly, tighten battery terminals, drain gas from petcock and carb bowl, put in 1 gallon fresh 87 octane (not premium just 87) two ounces of seafoam motor treatment. Pull enricher all the way out and start it let it run on enricher full out for 5 seconds and then push half way I and let run for 3-4 minutes while trying to give it throttle. If that all works air the tires to 38 front and rear and take it for a spin.

Don't use dipstick to check/add oil (it's not accurate)... After riding a bit fill up tank all the way and add another 6 ounces seafoam (no more) and enjoy.

I would change oil and filter and at least check transfer Case fluid level... Maybe new spark plugs and fuel/air filters depending on mileage and how you are about maintenance.

Get a manual and ask questions here before doing things.... Road Stars are easy to work on but some things are a little different than other motorcycles.
      Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about Seafoam but that is a great idea.

Comment

You can also drain the fuel from the carburetor bowl to see if it has any crap in it. I personally would remove the tank and flush it out with fresh gasoline. It's easier to change all four plugs with the tank removed anyway. I would change the oil and I would also change the transfer case oil. I would flush the front and rear brakes and check the condition of the brake pads. I would not only check the wear of the tires but try to find the manufactured date on the tires and if they were more than seven or eight years old I would change them too.

Comment

• MikeyC
          MikeyC commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think it is at all possible to change the spark plugs with out removing the tank

from Solon, IA

Sounds like an interesting buy. Outside of fuel as mentioned there shouldn't be a whole lot to worry about. Ride and enjoy.

Comment

From Spring Branch, Texas
          2005 Silverado Midnight Star

Comment

AGM batteries are available in two formats:
            • Battery that comes completely sealed from the factory and is maintenance-freeGET THIS ONE
            • Battery and electrolyte are not yet combined; the electrolyte must be added to the battery cells OUTDATED
            oh agm agm agm agm AGM AGM

Comment

• roadiemort
              roadiemort commented
              Editing a comment
              Wrong!

https://batteryguy.com/kb/knowledge-...at-agm-vs-gel/

Comment

• MidnightRide
              MidnightRide commented
              Editing a comment
              Last month I went with a gel myself. Very happy with it so far! That's a good link. Great read on the differences between battery types.

My guess is that the battery's probably fine. Purge the old fuel and start her up. Ride it. May need nothing more than that, other than a fuel additive to clean things out a bit. Nice find!

Comment

I would throw some seafoam in the tank and ride it. Then if it did anything odd I would work at it from there.
              It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

I wouldn't use your old gas. Gasoline is in a mixture of many different chemicals and vnted systems tanks generally lose their volatile compounds over time, the volatiless are the ones that give you a nice explosion in the cylinder, and then all your left with is the maple syrup b*******. Keep in mind that petroleum deterioration over time is it it's just like any other chemical process, temperature and time mediated. So if you live in freaking Canada your gas might not be so bad but typically today's fuels have a two to three months life on a shelf for ethanol and a little bit more for regular gas what we call wreck rec fuel

​​​​​​

Comment

from Athens, Georgia,
                  You're on the right track with your resurrection plan.
                  First, get a service manual. i prefer the Clymer book for it's color-coded wiring diagrams. This will help you determine if your scooter has been altered in any way. There are a few things that may not be immediately apparent (fuel pump location, AIS function, ect.} if you're not yet familiar with the bike.
                  The R/S is a very well designed and executed motor scooter. Easy to work on and they respond well to a little tuning-up.
                  Today's gasoline is crap...take a Mason jar and fill it half full of gas. Seal it tightly and set it on a shelf in your garage. Come back and look at it in two weeks. You won't believe how much water has accumulated in the jar. Leave it there and look at it weekly. You'll be astounded by what you see.
                  Hope you enjoy your scooter as much as I've enjoyed mine. I've owned 3 R/S's ('00, '02, '04), and now have an '06 Stratoliner & an '02 R/S Warrior.
                  I rode H/D's for decades. I rode my first R/S in '05 and that did it for me. These days, I would rather walk down the shoulder of the road holding a set of RoadStar handlebars than ride a H/D.
                  Enjoy the ride !!
                  I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Lug Nut said, "...air the tires to 38 front and rear", I believe the manual and the sticker on the frame of my bike has 40 or maybe 41 psi for the rear? Is that not the pressure I should run the rear tire at? I know we treat the amount of oil differently than what the manual states so just wondering?
                    2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• Shores
                      Shores commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Start at 38 front and 40 rear and adjust to taste based on your weight, the load and tire wear.

• D-Fresh
                      D-Fresh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Shores. I assumed weight might play a factor, especially hauling my lard @ss around! LOL

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
                    Lug Nut said, "...air the tires to 38 front and rear", I believe the manual and the sticker on the frame of my bike has 40 or maybe 41 psi for the rear? Is that not the pressure I should run the rear tire at? I know we treat the amount of oil differently than what the manual states so just wondering?
                    Was throwing out a good solid safe tire pressure for ANY cruiser tire. What is on frame of bike is only recommended for the tires that came on the bike (shit Dunlop). I actually called Shinko and talked to their tech... They recommend the MAX Psi on their cruiser tires (for example). There is no single pressure for every tire on every bike but 38 psi F and R will always be a good starting point on a Road Star.
                    LET'S RIDE

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by KokopelliAZ, 1 week ago
                    8 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Shores
                    by Shores

Started by Fishbone333, 08-11-2021, 06:29 PM
                    14 responses