Question about V-Star 1100 starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about V-Star 1100 starter clutch

I've searched online and everything about the starter clutch problems are them slipping/not engaging. The bike I acquired the starter clutch will not disengage. I have not started the bike yet but the one way will not free spin either way. Before I go dump alot of money into it, anyone think maybe something in the starter clutch is jammed, and can maybe be freed up? Figured I'd ask before I dive too far into it.

Go to Metric Magic and ask Tim B.

Comment

I agree TimB would be the best to ask any 1100 question to. I would also be curious what the original issue was and what symptom was said to be a problem? If you haven't started the bike and only going on what someone else said maybe the other person heard the starter noise that happens on shut down on occasion and only thought it was a problem. I'm not sure that you can spin the clutch by hand. I'm only guessing but it may take a little bit of tq from the engine spinning to overcome the pressure of the clutch.

Comment

Yeah Tim B's the man for V Stars 1100s. I can tell you one thing I do know. Do not hit the throttle during starting because it advances the ignition and causes the starter problem. Do you have any idea how hard it is to teach people to not turn the throttle during starting? Those bikes have middle gear problems too so make sure that's sorted out. I can honestly say I gave a V Star 1100 the old college try and I sent it back to high school. There's people like TimB that swear by these bikes. But I think there one of yamaha's wankers. That's just my opinion. On a good note I did like the way they handle and the frame geometry but they not made for people that are moderately tall to tall. The back of the seat is jammed up against the rear fender. That's what happens when you take a motor from one platform and throw it into a different platform, that is virago to V Star. At least that's what I read. And if you have to tune the carburetors you have to pull the tank and the carburetors to get to the goodies. And if you want to adjust the valves you got to pull a tank and a carburetors. And unless you have a different exhaust to change the oil filter you have to pull the exhaust. I honestly felt like I was married to the damn thing. If you do decide to keep it and you want to run fast you will need a set of pipes including header pipes, as Tim b was so astute to point out to me. But I'm just not a big fan of noise so I never went that route. I actually had a V-Star 650 give it to me that needed TLC and that bike was much easier and had a full set of pipes on it and it was pretty damn fast too. I only kept it for a week though.. I even tried modifying the seat because I had three or four of them I still do I just couldn't get it right no way I was fitting on that 1100. I reckon the short wheelbase is what makes it handled nicely in the turns in addition to other things, but that's what makes the seating issue.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Previous owner must have twisted the throttle when starting. He said "I tried to start it and heard a loud bang!" The starter was twisted and he snapped the gear off the end of the starter. I got a new starter but I did notice when turning the motor over either direction by hand (ie, a socket on the crank) the one way would spin the starter in both directions so I wasn't going to take the chance on starting it. Its a get running and flip bike for me. Has Commander II's with about 300 miles on them and I paid $250 for the bike.

Comment

• Boots
            Boots commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you saying there might be broken pieces of metal down inside the engine from the old starter?

No, I opened the side cover and it retrieved the gear off the end of the starter. It was a clean break. I'll be taking her home here shortly and taking her apart to see whats going on.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Sooner1, 6 days ago
          11 responses
          1 like
          Last Post Sharpman66  
          Started by EnergyGuy, 2 days ago
          2 responses
          1 like
          Last Post Jclevesque