Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike is stuttering under a load like it's fuel-starved or rev-limited...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueRidgeSasquatch View Post
    MidnightRide Have you made any headway on figuring this one out? I'm running into about the same. I just haven't had the time to tear into everything and I need to get the raked triple tree replaced with OEM before I worry about getting up to interstate speeds.
    The progress I've made is to pick up a fuel filter, and that's it! Does the bike even HAVE a fuel filter? Haven't ridden since the posts I made above. Started it a few times.

Bought the wife a quad (Honda FourTrax) and spent way too many hours upgrading it (new carb, battery, axles, brakes, paint, shocks, and more). It had sat in a field for ten years (rust). Bought it to help out a recently widowed friend of ours, and Anne has been after me to buy her one for more than a year now.

New oil/fuel pump for the boat. Fishing. Toasted the Jeep on a trip to the cabin (HEI distributor fried?), worked on our homes and buildings, and just got back from a 2000 mile business trip to California over the weekend. Not to mention maintenance on my other vehicles.

Way too many projects.

Did I mention poker?

And now the weather's getting cold...

Seriously, does that damned RS even have an external fuel filter (2001 Midnight Star)? I haven't even pulled the fuel pump cover to check. That's probably all that's wrong, one of the filters is plugged. I'm thinking the Lucas cleaner I put in the tank months back broke up crud in the tank and lines and that plugged the filters. I need to give myself enough time to pull the petcock, fuel pump. and carb to check for clogged filters in each, rather than just assume I can just pull an inline filter and replace it with the Amazon-supplied Yamaha replacement. Once I get into things, I want to be able to set aside enough time to get it resolved.

I picked up some Seafoam. It looks good in the can.

Still time to get some 'sorta warm weather' riding in though!

On another note, while in California over the weekend, my check engine light came on in the van. O'Reilly Auto Parts pulled a code for me and it was the O2 sensor or cat. Sold me some kind of toxic cleaner for about $30 a pint to put in my tank, and within a few hundred miles the check engine light was off and fuel mileage was up 3 MPG highway miles (I put the Lucas in that tank regularly). Really curious to see how this last tank's MPG made out! I highly recommend that stuff. May pour some into a couple of other vehicles just because. I have the empty bottle in the van if anyone wants me to check it. Got in at 1 AM last night and haven't finished emptying the van out yet... Anne got on a plane for Florida this morning, her work booked the flight at around 10 PM last night (Sunday) while we were on the way home. Chicago on Tuesday and home on Thursday. She's been gone nearly every week over the summer and that really squeezes my time while pulling double-duty.

Our time is REALLY tasked during the warm weather months. Not looking forward to winter weather.

I'll post an update once I get those fuel filter issues addressed.

Sorry I can't offer more!

Comment

• Brad_G
      Brad_G commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm curious about what you put in the tank to get the O2 sensor/cat cleaned. That must be some toxic stuff.

Brad_G , the stuff is called CataClean .

Here it is on Amazon, a lot cheaper than what O'Reilly charged me:

https://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-120...or+cleaner&qid =1634665498&sr=8-3

In reading the Amazon reviews, it seems a lot of guys use it to clear codes before getting an emissions test. Some have mixed results.

For me, I was on the highway, so per the instructions, I had to run the tank down to around 4 gallons before adding it, which I did near Weed, CA (3425 ft. elevation). Ran it up to Klamath Falls, OR (4094 ft. elevation) before filling the tank, which was around 70 miles to our target *cheap* gas station. Low fuel light was on. The bottle says to run it 10-15 minutes after adding it with four gallons in the tank, but we didn't have that option up there on the highway, nor did we want to fill the tank at $4.55 a gallon at some remote mountain gas station. But adding it sooner would have left more of the product to dilute into the tank after fill-up. We 'only' paid $3.56 a gallon in Klamath Falls. It's around $3.34 closer to home. The average in California was around $4.19 a gallon for regular unleaded, and in some areas it was $4.79 a gallon! OMG.

The check engine light was still on by the time we hit Klamath Falls, but a couple of hours up the road and the code had cleared! We'll see how long it lasts. Nearly 250k miles on the van now with the stock 2.4 liter four banger engine. Went from 22 mpg (on this trip) to 25 mpg on the tank with the cleaner. Never had an emissions issue with this rig. We did notice a rough idle while at a light or drive-thru and couldn't figure out why, and apparently this was the cause. It cleared up before we got home.

Says it's good for gas and diesel but not 2-strokes. I'm going to pick some more up for my other rigs, and run this one one more time, just because...

With my painting background, I thought this smelled familiar, and in checking the ingredients I find the primary ingredients are Xylene and Acetone. Anyone know where we can get the other contents? Maybe we can make our own!

I pulled this off the label for the 3 liter bottle. The one I bought was only 1 liter.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CataClean Ingredients.jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.8 KB ID:	131827

Comment

• Brad_G
      Brad_G commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I had heard of it, but hadn't known anyone that actually used it and their results. My daughter's Camry will throw a code now and then (and then goes away on it's own) and wondering if this might help it along. Her code is a cat. efficiency code.

• MidnightRide
      MidnightRide commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL well hopefully my code went away because of the product and not just highway miles! But the idle cleared up and MPG went up so it's got to be the product.

But a mix of Xylene and Acetone is much easier and cheaper to come up with, and I just happen to have BOTH sitting on a shelf at this very moment, so.....

Father Pobasturd I'm going to sell it once I finally get it off there and make sure everything is good on the bike. I like the rake, but the way everything is set up on the bike, it's just too sensitive in the steering (short trail) and too low in the front. A big front wheel would fix what I need, but so will the cheaper route of putting the OEM back on lol.

Comment

Duke Thanks, but I already picked up an OEM off another member that's local. I'll definitely check those out. The last owner went pumpless on mine, so I'm wondering if they ever replaced the needle with the grizzly one

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Dr. D, 5 hours ago
      3 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Dr. D
      by Dr. D

Started by Jim Sweeney, 6 hours ago
      5 responses
      0 likes