Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking back in. Tires. Mileage. Can we access archived posts from the old site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking back in. Tires. Mileage. Can we access archived posts from the old site?

Just tuned back in after a long hiatus. Moved the company from Las Vegas to Eastern Washington in 2018 and sad to say haven't put more than 400 miles on the bike since the move. Cold weather puts a squeeze on riding months and we're just too busy with our buildings and FISHING in the warmer months to get much riding in. Just ordered some new tires, oil, filter, and battery, since I was beginning to feel a bit squeamish about the balding rear tire, as well as battery reliability issues after a week or two of non-use. Not looking forward to pulling the wheels off, or even an oil change for that matter. Local dealer wanted $200 to change the oil. OMG. Haven't changed the oil since I bought the bike, perhaps 1500 miles ago. I know it's overdue...

Came back here to research tires and the like but that's not an easy task here. Do we even have a dedicated tire thread? Finally ordered some of the Shinko 777 HD's because I favor handling vs. mileage since I don't do much touring. The HD is a heavier rated tire which is geared toward Harleys. I came off a sport bike onto my R* but with my current tires I have no confidence in cornering on this bike. I was going to go with the Michelin Commander III Touring's (C3) until I saw they used tubes, and I don't want to go with a tube tire. The C3 looks like a pretty good tire, upgraded from the C2's, with two versions now rather than just the one.

My old computer crashed and I lost all of my old photos and was hoping I could access some of my old posts and pics from the former site. Is there any way we can access the archives?

I also wanted to retrieve and reference some of the research and posts I did about fuel capacity and mileage, including a mod I did on the fuel filler neck to allow fuel to flow in much more quickly (drilled holes in the pipe neck). That research really helped with my range plans. I know that on one trip I got over 250 miles before filling up.

Nice to check back in, BTW. Baker City in July may be doable, if we're not up fishing some mountain lake or stream... I lived in Bend, OR, for a couple of years so it'll be a great reason to head that way on the bike.

Can we access those archives or link to them?

The Commander III tires are tubeless.

Comment

• MidnightRide
      MidnightRide commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed that! The C2's required tubes so it seemed the C3's would as well. Watched a video on J&P Cycle as well.

I've read more on the Shinko's and they're on the way so I'll just go with them for now and put some C3's on in the next round. Probably be a C4 by then...

Thanks for the update.

With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Comment

This is what I have for “recovered” articles. Hopefully someone can chime in with a link to the history of the recovery.
      https://wayback.archive-it.org/10073...ap/Itemid,179/

Comment

• MidnightRide
        MidnightRide commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much! That's a great start. Spent some time sifting through it but have to run so maybe later I'll find what I wanted. Some of it's there but some no longer exists when you click on the links.

Cheers!

from Solon, IA. You should be able to navigate the old site through the link Tropicalrs provided above. I just did a quick check of some forum threads. But I'm not sure if you can search it or exactly how much content was saved.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightRide View Post
        I missed that! The C2's required tubes so it seemed the C3's would as well.
        I find that hard to believe. Most MC tires have been tubeless for years. Tons of folks here used them with no mention of that unless they had spoke wheels.

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          You found WHAT hard to believe? Do I need to go back through my research and post the sites I found that said they required tubes? The C2's were my first choice until I read that. I'd assumed the C3's required them as well. No need to insult others based on your own 'experience'.

Originally posted by MidnightRide View Post
        You found WHAT hard to believe? Do I need to go back through my research and post the sites I found that said they required tubes? The C2's were my first choice until I read that. I'd assumed the C3's required them as well. No need to insult others based on your own 'experience.
        I wasn’t insulting you, just stating that I didn’t believe the tires required tubes. If you were insulted then that’s on you. I’m not responsible for your emotions.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3JCIDSXBNV0L5

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I've since found sites that reference the C2's as tubeless, so now I'm pissed at the first site I read, which I thought was directly from Michelin, that listed them as tube-type, causing me to delete my cart orders before finalizing the purchase. Trying to find it. I was surprised as well because it seemed so antiquated.

However your people skills are lacking. This has NOTHING to do with emotions. You have since clarified what you meant, the reason I specified 'WHAT' was hard to believe in my original response to your post. Sounded to me like you were implying that I was intentionally lying or trying to mislead as to why I passed on the C3's in lieu of the Shinko's, the Shinko's being a brand that I was unfamiliar with. The C3's were my first choice; cost was not a factor. But after years of sport bike riding, handling is higher on my list than long mileage.

As a former racer I simply don't ride as much as I used to, but hopefully that'll change this summer.

• Duke
          Duke commented
          Editing a comment
          MidnightRide, I don't think that Shores was insulting you at all, and I am like him, it is hard to believe that any of the top brands of tires are tube only. Tubes can be run in any tubeless tire though. I do my own research mainly on radial or bias tires.

I'm on my second pair of C-2's both times tubeless. I do not have spoken wheels, great tires.

Comment

Comment

So to revisit my original post, it's got me thinking about why I haven't been riding up here. I rode in Vegas year-round, but sitting at stop lights on the Strip in 100* temps wasn't all it's cracked-up to be. Spring and fall, however, were absolutely unbelievable, as was winter if you didn't mind bundling up a bit.

We moved to Washington in October 2018, too cold to enjoy riding for the most part, considering where we left from. 2019 was the first warm weather up here and I got a few rides in, but we had two labor-intensive restoration projects in Washington State, historic buildings, and those and just settling-in took up most of our time and energy. We still have stuff in boxes...

I KNOW I packed my AZ title into a box and it went into the moving van, and was SURE I'd find it when it expired in June, but it never happened. I just renewed online and kept the AZ plate on for another year. So last summer, 2020, I did a total of ONE RIDE that I recall, that of picking up my girl at the airport one day, 60 miles each way, plus a side-trip on the way home that added around another 80 miles. On expired tags.

That was it.

So after hours of searching the warehouse once again for my title over the winter, I finally broke down and called AZ to order a new one. Took 10 minutes and cost me an entire $4 to do. AZ is awesome. Still haven't switched to WA plates, but it's coming. I have an aversion to identifying to WA in any way, or paying their exorbitant fees, despite being a Seattle area native. After being gone for 40 years I have to hold my nose due to the political climate in this state. Eastern Washington is a different animal, but the laws apply nonetheless.

But we've been distracted. Last summer I redesigned and rebuilt a boat I picked up in June and it pretty much made us fishing addicts until the snow started to fall. I named it COVID-20 since about everything else we were into was shut down, including lumber for our buildings which is now TEN TIMES the price that it was exactly a year ago. I'd partially torn a portion of the roof on one of our buildings off before I learned of the increases. Needed 250 sheets of OSB plywood and shut it down after hitting the lumber yard. Been shut down ever since. All of our projects have.

So over the winter I picked up a Jeep CJ5 for restoration and play. We also have a Ranger Polaris 6x6 that can provide fun distractions at times. I'll use the Jeep for pulling the boat into challenging areas at times, along with other tasks.

And then to appease one of the tiny towns that we own buildings in, I had to build-out the storefront of one of the buildings after the snow stopped falling (last pic).

But I WILL get back on the bike, especially once the tires/battery/oil are in order in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN7495.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	123796
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN7487.JPG Views:	0 Size:	7.86 MB ID:	123797
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN7712 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	123801
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN7920 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	123802

Comment

I really don't miss show and tell from Kindergarten but that's just me. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• MidnightRide
                MidnightRide commented
                Editing a comment
                And I don't miss arrogant trolls who feel that because they post more than anyone else it makes them more important than everyone else. Some of us have lives BEYOND motorcycles and most of us can appreciate why I haven't been feeding an addiction to ride as much as you obviously have.

I have lots of fun and toys in life and was simply doing some self-reflection as to why I haven't been on my bike like I have in years past. I too love to ride and have been doing it since my early racing days decades ago.

And how exactly do we BLOCK members on this site?

Why exactly are you feeling so threatened? You're the kind of arrogant troll that I LOVE to meet at the poker tables. You and your $$$$ are soon departed.

Life is good...

• roadiemort
                roadiemort commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, your a million laughs for those who care, quit trying to make friends lol.

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
              from Solon, IA. You should be able to navigate the old site through the link Tropicalrs provided above. I just did a quick check of some forum threads. But I'm not sure if you can search it or exactly how much content was saved.
              Can't we find a way to get the old roadstar-page back from wayback-archive? I have tried with Linux wget, but wasn't able to get the photos and the links allways showed to wayback-archive. Someone able to do it with Linux?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EA590B3-2DA6-4CD0-BEFE-EC6AFD159633.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	123822

Comment

I may want to sell the Roadie. In the past two weeks new tires, oil/filter, and battery have shipped in and I've yet to do anything with any of it. My first battery arrived with a hole punched in the side, leaking acid everywhere due to sucky packaging (refunded), and I've yet to unpack the second to even inspect it...

Just doing a self-diagnosis here. Shocked over my lack of enthusiasm. Maybe getting the new tires on it and oil changed will help. Can't believe I'm even writing this.

Bike is an '02 1600 Midnight Silverado with around 12k miles on it. Runs terrific without issue.

I think cold winters and an abundance of wildlife, in addition to lack of curvy roads anywhere near, have chilled my jets, in addition to being overwhelmed with other projects.

This coming from a guy who loves to ride and who used to race.

Anyone else go through this?

Comment

Ha!

I just realized what happened when I'd mentioned that the Commander II's were listed at tube's-required and that was why I'd passed on them.

The site I was on was model-specific (year/brand/model etc.) when searching for correct tire size etc., so when I plugged mine it it said tubes required, but that was because I have SPOKE WHEELS which were stock for my bike. I really hadn't given it much thought because I've had so many bikes that I was thinking I had something other than spokes.

True. I didn't even know I had spokes. I blame it on COVID. The bike has been parked in the dark recesses of our building...

I'm in a remote little town outside of Spokane, WA, and we have a local mechanic and tire shop who's pretty good, and a friend of mine. He's not setup for bike tires but I figured he could do them, but before I pulled the wheels I figured I'd better drop by to run it past him. Glad I did because he DOES NOT mount bike tires! He said he heard that someone had run a wheel into town for a tire swap and the guy was charged $130 for the swap and balance alone. OMG.

So when I got back I gave my wheels another look to see if I wanted to take it on, and suddenly the light went off that I realized I had spoke wheels. I didn't order tubes with my new tires so will have to do so now. I put the bike up on the jack and spun the rear tire to see if I had any cords showing, which I don't, yet. Took a quick ride after an oil change, with maybe a longer ride in order for today. The bike seemed to stutter at times, like the rev limiter was kicking in earlier than it should, sort of like it was starving for fuel. I'll run it out again on a longer ride to try to get a better feel for what's going on. I had some Lucas stabilizer/cleaner in the tank so the carb should be fine, and generally speaking it seemed to be.

I changed a lot of tires in my racing days, but these 777's have super stiff sidewalls and I don't think I want to take it on. I watched some videos where guys use zip ties to compress the inner tire rim bead to make them easier to get on and off. I'm going to call around in town to see who and when can swap tires and at what price, then decide whether to give it a go from there. I sure as hell don't want to pay someone $260+ to swap two tires!

I'd put less than 2k miles on the bike since I bought it 3 years ago, but it was due for an oil change since I had no history on it. First RS oil change for me. I found that it was a cinch once I had the bike up on the jack platform. Nice. Pulled and drained the rear plug after I put the bike back down and leaning on the kick stand. The oil filter was stuck so I stabbed a screwdriver through it near the outside end and cranked it off. Worked great. The oil plug was indeed leaking a bit but it was a bit loose. We'll see on that one. I didn't order a new crush washer but will on the next change.

I went with some Bel-Ray 20/50 V-twin synthetic blend oil and K&N filter, and no problems with the performance. Bel-Ray was my go-to in my racing days so I figured what-the-hell, the blend should be fine and will last me a while since I don't ride that much. I was glad the change went so smoothly after reading some of the stories that I have about pulling the front plug. It was the first time I've used my bike jack and I highly recommend one to everyone. It'll be great when pulling the wheels.

Time to make some calls...

UPDATE: Several shops can do the tire swap for $40-50 per wheel, same or next day service. Good to know! One shop says he can do it while I wait since I'm more than an hour from town. They'll be getting my business.

Time for a last ride on the old rubber!

Comment

You're welcome! No need to apologize for jumping our asses!

Comment

• MidnightRide
                      MidnightRide commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah can you believe that I didn't even realize that I had spokes? OMG. Now when I pull the wheels I'm going to have to spend two hours cleaning the spokes up. Got caught in ONE rain storm and that did it. Rode it ONCE last summer and that was it. Collecting dust INSIDE my building. New bike cover comes in tomorrow....

Last bike was a Suzuki RF900R and those wheels must be what are still stuck in my mind's eye.

Time to get some riding in! Really looking forward to the new tires. After my Suzuki, I've just never trusted this bike in the cornerss. Hopefully the sticky 777's will bridge that gap.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Ahodge75, 14 hours ago
                  13 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by coolalexrex, 2 hours ago
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post davej
                  by davej