Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage???

Howdy RS Folks...

I have a few questions for the Road Star folks... I have a 2005 Road Star Midnight Star... I bought it for tripping in Northern Canada... Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan... in these areas, it can be 200 or more miles between gas stations. I rode my bike until the gas light came on at 145 miles on the tank, at 155 miles I had to flip on the reserve, and then filled up at 170 miles on the tank.

Here are my questions;

1. At what mileage does your gas light come on?

2. At what mileage do you have to flip on the reserve?

3. How many miles do you get on the reserve?

4. What is your total mileage on a tank, to when you are dead empty?

I bought two one litre bottles for spare gas, and bought nylon cases for the bottles and they are strapped to the back of the sissy bar... I should be able to get 30 km on the two bottles, but hopefully they won't be required.

Thanks for any and all info.

DK on all the specifics but I get about 34 to 50 miles per gallon depending on how I ride. Before you go on your trip you should take a long ride to approximate what you would be doing and go through a full tank and check your mileage. Every bike varies depending on the jetting and whether it's carbonated or fuel injected but generally folks are getting from the mid 30s to the mid 40s.

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
      DK on all the specifics but I get about 34 to 50 miles per gallon depending on how I ride. Before you go on your trip you should take a long ride to approximate what you would be doing and go through a full tank and check your mileage. Every bike varies depending on the jetting and whether it's carbonated or fuel injected but generally folks are getting from the mid 30s to the mid 40s.
      I did that, as stated in the OP...
      just didn't run it until the reserved died... might strap on a 2 gallon geri-can and run it dead dry. It has been pretty consistent at 44 - 46 mpg... averaging 75 - 80 mph.

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are getting that kind of MPG your bike is running good and is jetted properly. Don't mess with anything.

I have a 2003 with a windshield and stock gear ratio. My numbers are almost exactly the same as yours. When riding solo at various speeds from 55 to 80 depending on which road I'm traveling, my yellow light comes on around 150 miles. 10 to 15 miles later the bike tells me to switch to reserve. I filled up almost immediately and it took a little over 4 gallons. Since we have a 5.3 gallon capacity we can assume we have 1 to 1.2 gallons in reserve. So if we are getting 150 miles to 4 gallons we are averaging 37.5 miles per gallon. So we have about 37.5 to 45 miles in reserve and approximately 190 miles from full to dry. If I keep my speed down under 70 and steady I can see my fuel mileage increase dramatically.

Comment

Your numbers in your second post need further investigation. If you are averaging 45 mpg and you had to switch to reserve at 155 miles, you should have consumed 3.4 gallons. That would leave 1.9 gallons in reserve. The book indicates that we have .925 gallons in reserve. That is a difference of about 1 gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chooch View Post
          Your numbers in your second post need further investigation. If you are averaging 45 mpg and you had to switch to reserve at 155 miles, you should have consumed 3.4 gallons. That would leave 1.9 gallons in reserve. The book indicates that we have .925 gallons in reserve. That is a difference of about 1 gallon.
          The numbers are actual... I had 170 miles on the tank, and put 17.5 litres in the tank, that is 3.89 gallons... that is 43.7 mpg, but remember the US gallon is smaller than the CDN gallon.

Comment

• Duke
            Duke commented
            Editing a comment
            I have 3 bikes, and have noticed that when the light comes on, it is different fuel levels on each one, but they are close to 1 US gallon for reserve.
            If you are running stock tires sizes and stock pulleys, then keeping the speed under 70 will really help with fuel mileage.

Man I love this forum. I just learned something new. If your unit of measure is the UK gallon then it is about 20% larger than a US gallon. In that case everything works out about right and our bikes are almost identical. The missing gallon is about 20% of the total 5.3 gallon capacity. Your 45 mpg is exactly 20% greater than my my 37.5 mpg. So that being the case I think the 190 miles from full to dry would be close to accurate. If you try your geri-can experiment please let us know the result. Ride safe.

Comment

With 65t rear pulley loaded down... windshield saddlebags tourpack and lots of gear.... 32 mpg at 85 mph
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

Like LugNut said about the 65 tooth rear pulley, this really helps with the cruising fuel mileage.
            If your 2005 pulleys are stock, "32 front / 70 rear", you could replace the front pulley with a 33 tooth.
            I'm running the 33 front / 65 rear on 2 of my bikes, and I'm going to try a 32 / 61 rear pulley set on my 3rd bike for the long trips.
            I love these cruising tractors!

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
              With 65t rear pulley loaded down... windshield saddlebags tourpack and lots of gear.... 32 mpg at 85 mph
              You make a good point... I am testing my bike stripped down, but traveling with saddle bags loaded and two dry bags strapped on, plus fishing rod, travel guitar etc... I better knock of 10-15% from fuel efficiency. Of course after this first trip, I will have actual real world numbers.

Comment

Traveling 2 up with gear we go to reserve at about 160 miles and then just figure I have 20 miles left. We do carry extra gas when we will be out in the boondocks. We have taken 5 gals at fill up a couple of times. There seams to be a half a gallon that hides in the tank somewhere, looks bone dry but its there.
                It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

I'm jealous of you folks that get 50 mpg. If I keep it under 60, ride solo, obsessively air the tires to max, and basically ride like my grandmother while she's being followed by a state trooper *and* her preacher, I can squeeze 45 mpg out of it. I'm sure my setup could be optimized, but it runs great and I don't want to mess with it for a couple extra mpg.

Comment

For something to do on a downpour of a weekend I filled the fuel tank out of my jerry can in my garage, with the bike level, pipe on the petcock drained 16 liters into a measuring jug, switched on to reserve drained 3.5 liters till empty, removed the petcock there was about 1/2 liter still in the tank non usable .

This was done with the fuel cap on, a good flow was maintained all the time which proved the tank vent worked well, the tank is as clean as a whistle , yep i forgot to pick up the petcock seal

Comment

• Brad_G
                      Brad_G commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You bring up a good point, you're not going to be able to utilize every drop of fuel. There's always going to be some that doesn't flow out to the carb.

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                    I'm jealous of you folks that get 50 mpg. If I keep it under 60, ride solo, obsessively air the tires to max, and basically ride like my grandmother while she's being followed by a state trooper *and* her preacher, I can squeeze 45 mpg out of it. I'm sure my setup could be optimized, but it runs great and I don't want to mess with it for a couple extra mpg.
                    I am getting 45 miles to the gallon on average, but again, that is a Canadian gallon. I run pretty fast most of the time... probably 80 average on the highway and juice it to 100 - 110 now and again when the "smiles" hit me. I am not wanting to "granny up" the riding experience to get better fuel efficiency, but I also am disinclined to get stranded on a remote Northern road... one of the fishing camps I run into is 100 km's from the nearest traffic flow and you can go days without seeing another human.

Comment

So I just did this with my new to me 2004 Roadstar as I wanted to know the fuel mileage when I travel long distances.

We have a 20L tank and 3.5L of that is for reserve so 16.5L of Main tank.

On my last fillup, fuel light came on at 247km at 268 km made it to gas station (didn't switch to reserve). Highway driving averaging 100km/pm This was riding with wife on the back but we are both under 160lb

I have hard krome big straights exhaust and no other mods.

I was talking to my friend who bought my old 2004 roadstar and he said he get's about 250 km per tank (all stock)

After several fill ups all seems to be the same for me. It's 75 to 80km when the fuel gauge drops to 3/4
                    Attached Files

Comment

I first came on the site four years back and did some extensive testing with fuel capacity, mileage, low fuel light, draining and refilling the tank, etc. and it's posted on the old site. Did a quick check but have yet to find the posts. I also did a mod in drilling the fuel tank filler neck to allow quicker fueling and posted pics of the same.

I know on one ride in Idaho while viewing the solar eclipse, riding alone with half-filled bags, I exceeded 55 MPG. After pulling the tank and draining it I put over five gallons of fuel in but don't recall exactly how much, but posted pics of the pump reading afterward. I also recall that I could safely expect around 70+ miles before dry when my fuel light came on, and 40+ on reserve under average riding conditions.

I'll post a link if I find those old posts.

Comment

I have always been confused as to why some guys want to push the miles to tank to the limit. Why not just stop and get gas 15-20 min earlier as you are passing stations or exits with stations at the end of the off ramp? What is it that you gain by running down to the possible dirt in the tank or possible water drops in the bottom of the tank? It don't save any time to wait until the tank is dry.

Comment

• roadiemort
                          roadiemort commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think it is called the Dunning Kruger effect.

What about Jetting , in this mileage seeking equation ?

Comment

I've been getting 35 mpg with my purple bike in town and highway mixed driving. Jetted properly round open air filter longshots 65T rear pulley and full fairing, HD tour pack on Adamd rack DC Chopper saddlebag brackets and HD saddlebags etc... My stripped down white bike gets 43.5 in town. I'm not trying to baby it but not always killing it. I also went double darkside this year on purple bike and don't know if I increased rotating mass or not (probably did). I am also putting in new clutch plates/steels since clutch is slipping on purple bike (has Barnett pressure plate but must now be time for new friction disc's.... Also ordered HD springs from Barnett).... Wondering if slipping clutch could be contributing to low gas mileage?
                          ​​​​​
                          ​​​
                          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Bikerron
                            Bikerron commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m doubtful a slipping clutch, enough to affect mileage, would survive a tank full of gas. That would be some serious inefficiency, right there. That oil would be cooking, alone with the clutch basket.

Ya, with what DaveJ said. We fill up every time we see a station even if we've only gone 70 miles, if we're not sure when the next station will be. But it's nice to know how far you can go as sometimes we're 190 miles from one station to the next. One area we go is about 260 miles with one station dead in the middle. We got out there one summer and the station was out of gas. That sucked. The few houses there wouldn't sell us any gas because they said they needed it too. Ended up getting a gallon for $10 to get us out to a main Hwy. We carry gas jugs now if we're going a long way.
                          It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by bbf, 11 hours ago
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Ahodge75  
                          Started by Sharpman66, 22 hours ago
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post davej