Sad Bike Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Bike Talk

I have been looking for another RS since I sold my last one last year . I needed the money from it and several of my other bikes to be able to pay cash for an Indian Roadmaster. I have been watching all the for sale outlets like FB and CL and so on for since late last fall for a good deal on a Roadie.
    Prices around here have gone crazy so I have been looking for a long time.
    So anyway, Sunday morning, I happened to look on FB and saw a 2008 RS with only 10k miles with an asking price of $3000.00. It was literally only on FB for 2 hours when I saw it. It was a beautiful blue color, stated new tires and looked mint in the pics and only about 1 1/2 hour north from me.
    I told my wife that I was going to look at it (I knew I was buying it) and was re-informed by her that we had to go to one of her friends houses to pick up some furniture and bring it to another one of her friends daughters because she just got an apartment and needed it. My wife offered my services because I have a box truck.
    Needless to say, The 1st stop was in the opposite direction of the bike. and the second direction was west of the 1st stop. I was so pissed. I called the guy with the bike before we headed out and told him I was a cash buyer and wanted the bike. I even offered to pay 1/2 of it via Paypal for him to hold it until I could get there later in the day. He said it wasn't necessary and would hold it for me.
    4 hours later, I called the guy and told him I was on my way and he informed me that he sold it. Son-of -A...!!! The perfect deal finally showed up and my damn Karma got me again! My wife won't even talk to me. I think she's afraid to.

Never seen prices so high for Road Stars (and ALL bikes, boats, etc). Vstar 650's are being advertised for $3k-4k...lol. Road stars are almost all $4k-8k hardly see any in the $3k and none below that.

I was gonna get a couple and flip them but no way this season.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

They are not as prolific as they once were, and with supply low, the price goes up.

Comment

It looked like you were about to score a great deal and it got away. There is probably a reason it happened such as there was something wrong with the bike or there is a better one waiting right around the corner. Things like that happen all the time. Remember that good things happen to good people. Oh, and enjoy the silence while you can.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
          DEEPHATE commented
          Editing a comment
          AGREE!

OR----could have been a scam like have been attempted on a couple of friends around FL. One in Pompano Beach was a R*, I think 2017,"" with only 14k miles for 'only' $3500 (cash only), priced for quick sale due to health reasons""...long story short it was stolen with a convincing fake title from N Carolina. Mistake was they were trying to sell it to State Troopers brother---LOL He smelled a rat and called in a favor--busted the a--hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfixit1 View Post
          OR----could have been a scam like have been attempted on a couple of friends around FL. One in Pompano Beach was a R*, I think 2017,"" with only 14k miles for 'only' $3500 (cash only), priced for quick sale due to health reasons""...long story short it was stolen with a convincing fake title from N Carolina. Mistake was they were trying to sell it to State Troopers brother---LOL He smelled a rat and called in a favor--busted the a--hole.
          No such thing as a 2017 road Star. They quit making them in 14 or 15.

Comment

I came across a great deal like that a couple years ago and was ready to rent a trailer sight unseen and drive 2 hours and buy it. Instead I had MikeyC go check it out for me and it was totally trashed from sitting out in the rain.

Comment

This is the kinda shyet that can happen when you let someone else control your itinerary, lol, better luck next time.

Comment

I second what Chooch said, good things happen to good people. Keep your eyes open another deal will be coming your way! JC

Comment

I think prices will go up more and supply will be less for a couple years because of gas prices going up. If you can remember back in 08-09 when Obama was in office and gas was at a premium high price, the supply of used bikes was almost non existent. The summer of 08 I bought a new 650 because that was the only thing available. If you did find a dealer with used bikes you better get there quick and have a pocket full of cash to get it and they weren't negotiating on prices. Harley's were sold before the dealer even got them. I don't know if that is how it was everywhere but that is how it was in the Detroit area. I just resolved the gas price issue by buying a Ford Escape Hybrid. I'm getting around 50mpg in the city on most trips and close to 40 on the hwy. I have gotten up to 70mpg on a couple shorter in town trips to the store. The computer tells me the mpg for each trip after every time I turn the car off.

Comment

• Chooch
                    Chooch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    About ten years ago I was in a Yamaha dealership that had a brand new Road Star that had been sitting in the showroom heavily discounted for two years. At the time I was buying used ones because they were cheap and negotiable. Used bike dealers claimed Road Stars were hard to sell. Now that they are fifteen to twenty years old the prices are going up. You can still find good deals especially if you are willing to put a little time and effort in to "making it right". Isn't that why we are all here?

I thought I paid fair market price for mine.
                  99 with 50k was in excellent condition until I got ahold of it. Lol.
                  Only 2000$
                  but I decided to ride in the rain and now carb issues. just my luck. Lol.

Comment

• davej
                    davej commented
                    Editing a comment
                    simply riding in the rain shouldn't give you carb issues. check to make sure the small rubber hose is on the tank vent. it sounds as if somehow you got water in the tank. Also drain the fuel bowl then put the gas valve on reserve and drain the bottom of the gas tank to check for water and remove it .

davej
                  I think it was a combo of both. Junk and water. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210419_135502.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	120698

Comment

• davej
                    davej commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yep it looks pretty nasty. I hope it all cleans up good and the inside of the tank is OK.

Always keep the fuel tank full even throughout the winter. This prevents moisture from building up and rusting the inside of the tank.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by coolalexrex, 2 days ago
                  14 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Shores
                  by Shores

Started by Hank1988, 01-21-2021, 09:23 AM
                  36 responses
                  3 likes