Seat pan differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat pan differences?

Seems like I saw something that later model year seat pans were wider than earlier year models? Any truth to this? I currently have a ED seat but I'm thinking I'll save my pennies and have a custom fit seat built since I get tail bone pain from the ED on a long ride. Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany Oregon builds seats custom fit to your ass and will get it until it is 100% perfect. Not cheap but I need to do something better. I have a stock 2000 pan but if later pans are wider I figure that would be better.
    2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/20...r-1700-review/

Comment

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      1.6" wider from 2004 onward.

• brianmac
      brianmac commented
      Editing a comment
      in the above mentioned  article: they state:
      the '04 Star also gets more compression, short-skirt pistons, dual plugs, longer-duration cams, shorter rockers with less inertia in stouter rocker boxes, thicker cylinder fins to improve cooling and a bigger, restyled, freer-breathing airbox.
      i thought
      1. dont they both 1600 and 1700have dual plugs>???

Thanks Mort, I just wanted to verify. Now to find that seat pan
    2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

im not sure thats true, but mike couch from ED seats would know. fosho

Comment

• roadiemort
        roadiemort commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean the new Magazine article, This article was originally published in the August 2003 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser, is full of shit or you're not sure if that brown line across your forehead means your down a quart lol.
        Last edited by roadiemort; 01-16-2021, 11:28 PM. Reason: Because I can.

• roadiemort
        roadiemort commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike is the Sales Rep for Usa, George my friend is the owner of E.D.Seats Canada, Fact.

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
      Thanks Mort, I just wanted to verify. Now to find that seat pan
      Note that the 24710 are same in both part #'s then the next 10 in the 04 seat denotes a change in the part for that year. Your welcome.

Comment

Hey I'm not questioning u mort I'm just seeing where part numbers have changed and the parts themselves are almost identical. Can't remember which tho. All I know is every time I order a seat I don't think Mike vever asks me what year it is. He probably only sells The wider one. So like you guys said the width is only thung different. But I have a 2000, and 04 and 05 and I'll put the stick on then today. There's always disinformation, and errors in manuals. We do have the best repository here on information though for road Stars.

Comment

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          99 to 03 would be slightly narrower at the widest width and 04 and up should be wider at the same point by 1.6 inches, could there be a mix up from inches to millimeters in the article, sure but not likely as 1.6 mm is only 1/16th of an inch lol. Let ua know what you find.

• brianmac
          brianmac commented
          Editing a comment
          ive seen instances where new part #'s superceded old ones, kind of like backwards compatible with computers?

The width may be different but the attachment is the same. I have interchanged my 08 seat with Greenmachine, jaybo and MikeyC several times. That would be bikes ranging from 2000 to 2003. A good customizer can enlarge the foam even beyond the size of the pan.

Comment

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct, the stock pan size could very well be the same for all years and they just added bigger foam and cover from 04 and up.

E.D.Seats uses their own designed seat pan but their recover option at the time I bought mine utilizes the stock seat pan. I did watch George trim back his new seat foam a little to fit the stock 07 seat pan when he did the recover for me.

Comment

Yea, I have '99 models and a seat from an '08 model. I like the '08 better as it is wider in the "seat" and a little narrower in the ? skinny part? front? Could be the same pan and just different padding. It becomes obvious when you have a seat rail. The '99 fits fine and the '08 kinda has to squeeze in there.
          It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

• roadiemort
            roadiemort commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mike.

I have an O5 RS and the stock seat is still a piece of shit, and if that was supposed to be improved seat, then Yamaha failed miserably. I had tailbone issues with the stock seat and tried both and ED and Mustang seats with not much relief to the tailbone. Finely found a seat that eliminated the tailbone torture.from Diamond Custom seats. Way more comfortable than any of those I mentioned. Like sitting your ass in a catchers mitt. Very competitive price wise with both ED and mustang but it will take a month to get one as they are custom made to your height weight and inseam and what you're having issues with comfort wise. Wished i'd found Diamond 1st before wasting all that money on the others.
          https://diamondseats.com/

Edit: Pics added 1/30
          Attached Files

Comment

• DEEPHATE
            DEEPHATE commented
            Editing a comment
            Noted and bookmarked.

Wow thanks didn't even know they were out there. Now I have a trike with a straight rear axle and it feels like a hardtail most of the time over bumps does that company offer cushy soft foam and vinyl

Comment

• Dick M
            Dick M commented
            Editing a comment
            They are a custom seat builder, I'm pretty sure he'll make whatever you want.

If you have the seat, and don't want to spend a fortune, I've heard good things about Mean City Cycles in NC. Lots of options available.

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            I have an ED seat now, but there is a local shop that builds you a seat, where you are there while he builds it, to specifically fit it to your ass. if it isn't right, he will make it right until you are satisfied. He's local to me so that is why I am looking specifically at his work. https://www.mredsmoto.com/

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Jaybo, 1 week ago
        40 responses
        2 likes
        Last Post Shores
        by Shores

Started by AZRoadie, 1 hour ago
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Shores