Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpman66
    replied
    Love my Roadie! 2003 Midnight with 42k miles. Hope i get at least 150k out of her. Great blog!

Leave a comment:

• Deerkiller
    replied
    I love Yamahas also. My R1 doesn’t display the same longevity unfortunately though. 2 engine rebuilds in about 15k miles, ha ha.

Leave a comment:

• chromax
    replied
    Thanks brother

Leave a comment:

• Ironman
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. What a bittersweet tale. Sorry about your friend.

• chromax
    replied
    Originally posted by MrG View Post
    After riding a short stroke vulcan for the last couple of years I call my roadstar the tractor
    Thats what I call mine to funny, A few years ago my riding buddy got into an accident he was a 45 year yamaha mechanic he probably knew more about a roadstar then mama yamma does. The meds the doctors gave him would make him sleep standing up the shop started keeping tabs on this. He went from service manager to an hourly rate mechanic. Then after a time lost his job, their reason for termination was un safe around machines. He called me one day and asked me if I was ready to do some motor work on my roadstar. He said I have all the parts ,ummmm how much i asked him. He said 1k your kidding I said, nope he said no one knows what these are and I dont feel like trying to sell them, so we started tearing this motor up. A 1700 has a better flowing head then the 16's so no head work was done maybe some day.

We replaced the pistons with yamahas high compression pistons or their speed star line. We replaced the connecting rods with carillo rods they seem to cut thru the oil better. The crankshaft on a roadstar looks like a piece of concrete, we sent it off with the rods and pistons to be shaved 20% balanced and micro polished.
    When it returned it looked like a jewel, it balanced in 4 clicks better then yamahas specs.

We used speedstar cams, stiffer valve springs, ported manifold, speedstar ignition barnett pressure plate, bigger carburetor, k/n air filter barrons oil cooler all of this is blowing thru a vance and hines pro pipe. I am missing a couple I am sure.

The final out come is a very efficient running roadie that will haul the mail when asked too. This motorcycle almost doesn't hardly move at idle. I could never duplicate it because speedstar parts are no more. I could probably never sell it because my buddy is no more as well.

My friend was on oxy for three years, he could work and do what he needed to do. The govt put the poo poo on it the doctors his wouldn't prescribe it any longer
    he started using the black market to get his meds you cant afford that for long. There was no help for him, cortisone injections were tried no help. He did tell me one day I will get tired of this pain one day. One day came he is gone, a couple years now. Sorry for the rant yesterday was his birthday.
    Rest in peace Jaybird

Leave a comment:

• MrG
    replied
    After riding a short stroke vulcan for the last couple of years I call my roadstar the tractor

Leave a comment:

• brianmac
    replied
    I love Yamahas too but they definitely have some stars that don't shine so bright. Like vvstar 1100 has a self destruct starter. Have to remove exhaust for oil filter. Pull carbs for valve adjustment. Noisy drive shaft/rear end. I had a Honda 1100 that was silent and that department. And it don't have much balls. Onver years. They had issues they don't always own up to

Leave a comment:

• chromax
    replied
    That's incredible I Love Yamahas

Leave a comment:

• Lug Nut
    replied
    Talked to one member in FB RSC has over 300k miles on his.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    some on the old RSC were over 200,000 miles

Leave a comment:

• Blackcloud12
    replied
    Pretty cool blog. I just scanned through several entries. Neat to see the R* still kickin after all those miles and adventures. Interesting that he chose the Springfield for his replacement; and also looked at the Road King. I too looked at Road King and Springfield before buying my Roadstar. I'm sure I'd love a Springfield, but I could've bought my R* 3x before even touching a Springfield; plus I have a lot of years of good experience with Yamaha.

Leave a comment:

• chromax
    started a topic Road Star legend 158k

Road Star legend 158k

This guy rode all over the west very good blog he put 158k on this roadie great reading thought I would share. https://www.mymotorcycletales.com/20...-honestly.html
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	108983

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by francozero, 5 hours ago
7 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort