Upgrading Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Ride

I'm sure some of you may have noticed I'm selling my 2007 Roadstar and a bunch of other parts. I think I mentioned in one add I was getting a different bike. I saw the 2018 Venture and Eluder when they came out, but I really wasn't interested in spending $22-27k on a new bike. Well 2 years later, and possibly some bad marketing research, the Eluder just isn't selling well, all though the Venture seems to be at least for now since they have a 2020 model. I wasn't really looking for a new ride, but I came across this Eluder by chance in one of those browser pop-up adds (see link). I've been researching this and contemplating for a couple of weeks, do I really need or want a new bike. I know Kaidallac bought a Venture, and RonK bought an Eluder. I tried contacting them for their personal reviews, but haven't got any answers. I saw a Youtube video from Long Haul Paul, who rode 100,000 miles in 20 months, on a Venture that convinced me that these were pretty well designed bikes. When you can buy a brand new 24k motorcycle of that quality for 15k, seems like a no brainer. Besides, most of my life I've owned used stuff and since I'm retired, decide it's time to spurge. I pick up the new Eluder next week. If anyone else has a new Venture or Eluder, I wouldn't mind hearing your reviews.

I wasn't on here much before as you can tell by number of posts and the date I joined forum. So I probably won't be on here much after I get rid of stuff, but I'd like to say I've read and learned a lot about the Roadstar while here. It's really good to have a bunch of knowledgeable people to help with trouble shooting problems like you have here. Hopefully I don't have issues for a while but it will be interesting to see how the Venture or Eluder forum will be. Thanks to all for supporting a really great forum.

Take care, Russ
    ARRIVING SOON AND VERY AGGRESSIVELY PRICED AT $14999 WITH ZERO HIDDEN FEES. JUST ADD TAX, TITLE, & LICENSE! FREE 5 YEAR WARRANTY! The ultimate V-Twin bagger combines huge, emotional V-Twin power and near-sport tourer level handling with state-of-the-art comfort, styling and infotainment features.

I was at Starfest and was looking at a dealership that had a 2020 transcontinental for $12,580 out the door complete with tax. However I was 2600 miles away and it sold while I was out in Oregon. Lowest price I've seen on a brand new one. I would love to get a Transcontinental but NOT for $28k+
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

Man, that is a hot looking bike!!! Great deal too!

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
        I was at Starfest and was looking at a dealership that had a 2020 transcontinental for $12,580 out the door complete with tax. However I was 2600 miles away and it sold while I was out in Oregon. Lowest price I've seen on a brand new one. I would love to get a Transcontinental but NOT for $28k+
        Wow, are you sure that wasn't a demo with some miles on it. I don't think I've seen any Venture in the mid-west below 20k. There are some used ones out there for less. The Eluder I'm buying at 15k is kind of typical right niow. The dealer I'm getting it at said all of the dealers around him are asking about the same price, but most of if not all don't tell you that they add set-up and destination charges to the advertised price. I'm in Illinois so I'm buying that bike for $14,999 with no other additional fees. If I was a Wisconsin resident, he'd only add tax, title and license fees, but I will pay those in Illinois, my home state. None of the local dealers had any Eluders. From what this dealer told me, there are only about 15 new Eluders left in the US Yamaha warehouses.

Comment

Wow! That's a [email protected] looking bike and a heck of a deal. Looks like there is a warranty so being new and warranted you shouldn't have to wrench on it for a while. Congrats and good luck with the new ride.
          2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Wow fantastic deal and a nice looking ride.
            With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Comment

Originally posted by RRS_07RdStar View Post

Wow, are you sure that wasn't a demo with some miles on it. I don't think I've seen any Venture in the mid-west below 20k. There are some used ones out there for less. The Eluder I'm buying at 15k is kind of typical right niow. The dealer I'm getting it at said all of the dealers around him are asking about the same price, but most of if not all don't tell you that they add set-up and destination charges to the advertised price. I'm in Illinois so I'm buying that bike for $14,999 with no other additional fees. If I was a Wisconsin resident, he'd only add tax, title and license fees, but I will pay those in Illinois, my home state. None of the local dealers had any Eluders. From what this dealer told me, there are only about 15 new Eluders left in the US Yamaha warehouses.
              Yep I checked in detail... Brand new 2020 title said 2020..not even assembled fully yet. $11,xxx plus tax and prep charge.. Total was about $12,580 out the door. I told the person I was dealing with I would pay tax back home in Indiana and I would bring a check for Exactly what they quoted me and not a penny more so they gave me an accurate price. I bet you there are a lot more Eluders for sale than 15....sounds low....
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

• RRS_07RdStar
                RRS_07RdStar commented
                Editing a comment
                The inventory of15 mentioned was in US Yamaha warehouses still crated, which according to my dealer are in California and Oregon. That wouldn't include all the bikes already at dealers.
                If that was the price, why didn't you buy it? That's a crazy low price, even if you paid to ship back to Indiana, it would of been a supper great deal.

I was communicating via FB messenger with a sales person and getting info and not great cell phone reception.... After a day or 2 I received the message it was sold. I wanted to get a Pic of title and bike in current state to make sure it wasn't a leftover 18 or 19 demo.... If I wasn't clear across coy try I would have gone down and got it
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

I rode the eluder and Venture both, Nice rides, but I really liked the Indian a whole lot better. But at near 100% more money, I could grow to like the Yammy. I would like a more spirited test ride on it though the demo course for Yamaha was really lame compared to the Indian
                2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

2018 Yamaha Eluder GT Review

I picked up my Eluder yesterday and road it 150+ miles home. I thought I'd share a short review in case anyone was thinking about upgrading to an Eluder. There supposedly less than 10 left in the Yamaha USA Corp warehouses. That's not to say that there's not others around the country at dealer warehouses.

​​
                  No, I didn't ride it home like this.

First off, I would mention I never looked at any other bikes to compare to. The only thing that drew most of my attention, was I liked the looks, all of the technology (this is the GT version) and the main reason was the price I felt I could afford and was reasonable. The looks probably aren't for everybody, I'm sure it's kind of radical compared to the Classic looking Silverado.

I was concerned about the weight of this bike, ~875 lbs, and is about a 100 lbs more than a wet weight Silverado. I didn't really notice that extra weight until I got to a gas station and tried backing bike in on a fairly level surface, it's heavy, so you have to be careful of where you park and the surface condition. Once under way, this bike doesn't feel any heavier my Silverado, but it handles and rides way better and smoother, like you would expect from a tourer based platform. I took local roads the whole way back to aid in break in (keeping rpm's down and varying speeds), since I hate Milwaukee and Chicago highway traffic anyway. The handling is really nice and steady and I was comfortable with the new feel in a very short time. Yamaha marketing videos say this has near sport bike handling. Well this bike has excellent handling for a big bike, but the wheelbase and weight keep it from being a sport bike. I took some nice Wisconsin winding roads and had no issue, although I wasn't trying to push through the turns at much higher speeds than posted. I'm over the days of trying to push a bike to the limits, I really like this bikes handling characteristics for the type of driving I do.

The near 1900 cc motor is a nicely balanced motor, you feel hardly any vibrations, I think it's much smoother than my Roadstar. I've read some reviews where the rider didn't like the 4750 rpm rev limiter. This motor has a ton of torque, and it pulls well in almost any gear at low rpms. Since I mentioned before, my days of sport riding are over, I didn't see any reason you need to run this thing to redline in any gears. Again the shifting fits my style of riding. I thought the transmit​ion was about the same smoothness as the Roadstar, which I think is fine. One review called it clunky compare to other bikes. There is 2 driving modes that probably change timing and throttle response, Sport mode and Touring Mode. During break in and me getting used to bike, I've stayed in Tour mode, so far averaging a little over 40 mpg. The compression is fairly high at 9.5 to 1, recommended fuel is 91 octane. So one of my complaints is the heat coming of the rear cylinder, it seems excessively hot. Some say it gets better after the motor loosens up and is broken in. I honestly don't understand why Yamaha didn't water cool the bike like the Vstar 1300. I have a Vstar 1300 and they did a pretty good job of concealing the water cooled components, which they would have been able to hide even better with the big fairing the Eluder has. The cylinder fins look like they are air cooled. This would of helped with some of the heat removal and also may have allowed lower octane fuel by taking more of the heat away.

The Infotainment has as many options as my new 2019 Ram, with a 7" touch screen. I haven't even figured them all out yet, or how to use it yet with all the buttons on the handlebar controls. The best thing I like about the Eluder is the instruments are where you can see them without moving your eyes down to the tank. As I get older and my brain processing has slowed down considerably, I like not having to look down to see my speed. This also has a tach, digital readout that shows the gear you're in, time, GPS shows the street your on even when you're not in map mode.

Storage in bags is about the same as the Roadstar hardbags, but there are 3 small storage bins in the fairing. I had a taller "medium windshield with recurve" even before I rode the bike, I heard with the short windscreen, there was a lot of wind buffeting even with shorter riders. I was pretty well protected with the upgraded windshield, but I like look over not through a windshield, so some may not think it's tall enough.

Overall I really like this bike so I would say at least consider it if upgrading. I hope this useful to someone.

Russ

Comment

• Brad_G
                    Brad_G commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Always nice to get a firsthand review. Enjoy that new ride!

Russ, that Eluder looks beyond cool. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by lowriderbob, 6 hours ago
                  7 responses
                  1 like
                  Last Post Lug Nut
                  by Lug Nut

Started by Lug Nut, 4 days ago
                  14 responses
                  1 like