What the What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the What?

Okay, so I go to a local bike/riding parts store just after I got my bike to talk tires, helmets and other stuff. I'm not against brick and mortar in fact I prefer to support them as much as possible. Long story short they were $80 higher than bike Bandit for a set of road Commander 2s, so I bought them online. First, I called a mobile bike mechanic locally for install and balance since I didn't even have a bike jack yet. Scheduled for yesterday at 10am but never showed or called. At 10:30 I called him and he was like what time was I supposed to be there? Click.
    So I called my local parts shop to see if I dropped it yesterday it could be finished by today, they said yes....
    I dropped it with my purchased elsewhere tires and they had what I felt was a reasonable charge. I was delighted when they called today that they were done at 11am. I go to pick it up, pay while they're bringing it around and go to leave. Of course I'm gonna peek at my new goodies....there is a Commander 3 on the front and Commander 2 on the back. I bring it up and dudes like I'm cool if you're cool and I wasn't really, but I also knew the 3 is an upgrade of the 2...I also wanted to ride.... When I got home it was all I could think about...did they pass old stock to me? Is the 2 even my tire? They felt great compared to my bald front and worn rear from before... As I looked closer the 2 on the back...WAS MY GODAMNED NEW FRONT TIRE! I'm pretty peeved now....do I not ride this awesome weather weekend while the shop is closed? I'm so pissed, I even asked my wife when we stopped for some sweet corn on the way home if the back tire looked skinny to her....lol. happy Labor Day all!!! Love to hear your thoughts but go easy on me...lol

Yep I’d be pissed.....I don’t know that I’d ride on the tire though....it might be okay but I’m not sure

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Me neither...worst part is, I want to like these people. Other than them, there are only the big corporate shops to choose from....it's a pickle.

Call the Better Business Bureau ASAP! Call the manager and owner. Make them pay!

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, will you be mah law your? Lol

Did you bring them 2 new C3 tires to put on? I'm confused. Do your best Jack Webb, Just the facts lol.

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      No I brought them 2 new C2's. I ended up with my new front on the back and a C3 on the front.... I'm just going to insist on my tires brought be put on in the right locations on Tuesday.... Do I ride on two front tires this weekend??? Probably shouldn't, I know....grrrrr

I wouldn't ride on the tires not so much because of safety but because it may give them away out. If you put miles on them they may say that well they're your tires now. Could have been an honest mistake but still it is extreme negligence. I would also remind them of the liability that they could assume if you were to have crashed because of a front tire being put on the rear. And I would use that specific word.......liability. The carcass design is very different for a rear tire.

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya, just sux cause I wanted to ride this weekend...cue baby sounds...lol. Still no oil leaks though chief!

Man, that blows out-loud !
    I always insist on being right there when I have tires mounted.I can get away with that because I live in a relatively tight area & I pretty well-known in the scooter community.
    I've seen wheels bent (especially spoked wheels) on automatic tire machines, tires mounted backwards, spokes loosened, tires re-mounted on the scooters unbalanced or under/over-inflated.
    See if you can develop a relationship with the owner of the shop that will allow you to oversee any work that may be done to your scooter in the future.
    If your choices are limited, try to make the best of what you have available.
    I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice. It's my preference too. Don't know why but I just like to know what's happening with my cars/trucks too. I was planning to watch the mobile bike mechanic I had planned to use first to learn and make sure the balance was actually done but that dude flaked... It's been a rough beginning go of it all, the brightest part has been finding this forum. Another user told me that tightening my pulley nut might solve my oil leak that appeared to be coming from that area and it turned out to be the charm. He had put out a detailed post for new users that the pulley bolt and washer needed to be looked at first thing for all new owners of a used R* so I would have solved it when I did that work, but the fact he adressed my concern directly and the advice of others on other issues has been gold. Anyhow, thanks for sharing and will update all with how it goes Tuesday am.

Could it have been an "honest mistake"? Some of the guys that get hired aren't rocket scientists. Take it back to the shop and have them make it right if you can. Businesses can't afford to piss off customers..although there are some exceptions, I am sure.

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
      JohnnyBGreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I plan to take it back first thing Tuesday to make sure they don't lose my other tire. Besides the initial inconvenience, I do have work to be done.... something has to give.

Make them make everything right using the parts you brought them and then after they are done and your satisfied with the work tell them you want a 100% full refund for what you spent since they were so inept.

The only bad thing is that you caught the wrong tire error And paid and left which does give them an "out" to be honest...
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

No doubt that sucks but it could be worse. They could have not replaced the valve stems [like you specifically asked] when they mounted your new tires, so you end up getting a flat 500 miles from home due to a leaky valve stem, in the middle of 103° BFE with no cell service. Only to have to leave your bike on the side of the road and hitch hike the final 50 miles to your destination. Then two days later have your bike towed 50 miles, in the opposite direction, to the nearest dealer where you find out the tow truck driver dropped your bike, scratched the rear fender and bent your tourpak mount, as well as over tightened the tie-downs and blew your steering head bearings and scratched your front fender... Then... the dealer finds out the shop who forgot to replace your valves stems, also left out your inner wheel spacer, so your axle is bent, the wheel bearings are literally fried, and you've friction welded the alignment adjuster to the axle so now your stranded for an extra week while waiting on parts. Then, when you finally get home, AAA denies your claim because the tow truck driver lies, so you have to eat the costs to fix the bike, and the owner of the shop who mounted your new tire denies responsibility, even though his tech admits the wheel spacers fall out all the time. ...So, just saying, it can always be worse.

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
        JohnnyBGreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that definitely sounds worse! Glad you made it through all that albeit with a sore wallet... I think they just had a young kid work on it and had too many tires held for call in customers behind the counter. Sometimes when an organization gets too helpful processes break down. I'm a little bit of a control freak and if I worked there nothing would be stacked up behind the counter without names, work orders or being sold/paid for. Oh well, I will say that their commander three on the front is a hell of a lot better than that 2005 oem bald tire I had before. Corners like I'm on rails...

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaron, the bike has never handled the same since that trip. I've replaced just about everything possible, and while there have been improvements, it's still squirrely at high speeds, which is unnerving when you have to do 80+ mph just to keep up with traffic these days. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a long trip at this point. I'm hoping to get my rear shock rebuilt this week and I'm about to pull the trigger on swing arm bearings, just to rule them both out.

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Doc I can definitely understand your hesitation. They really did a number on you and your bike. Hoping this next bit of upgrade/replacements does the trick though and you can feel comfortable again

Originally posted by JohnnyBGreen View Post
      I plan to take it back first thing Tuesday to make sure they don't lose my other tire. Besides the initial inconvenience, I do have work to be done.... something has to give.
      They have probably already put your new tire on a local wheelchair!

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
        JohnnyBGreen commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be a tight wheelchair, fat ass commander 2 on one side!!!

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
      No doubt that sucks but it could be worse. They could have not replaced the valve stems [like you specifically asked] when they mounted your new tires, so you end up getting a flat 500 miles from home due to a leaky valve stem, in the middle of 103° BFE with no cell service. Only to have to leave your bike on the side of the road and hitch hike the final 50 miles to your destination. Then two days later have your bike towed 50 miles, in the opposite direction, to the nearest dealer where you find out the tow truck driver dropped your bike, scratched the rear fender and bent your tourpak mount, as well as over tightened the tie-downs and blew your steering head bearings and scratched your front fender... Then... the dealer finds out the shop who forgot to replace your valves stems, also left out your inner wheel spacer, so your axle is bent, the wheel bearings are literally fried, and you've friction welded the alignment adjuster to the axle so now your stranded for an extra week while waiting on parts. Then, when you finally get home, AAA denies your claim because the tow truck driver lies, so you have to eat the costs to fix the bike, and the owner of the shop who mounted your new tire denies responsibility, even though his tech admits the wheel spacers fall out all the time. ...So, just saying, it can always be worse.
      Almost sounds like a Country/Western song.
      I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

I bought a set of Metzler 880 WW to put on my Vstar on the inter-web. Most of the shops refused to install. Their reasoning was they could not guarantee the tires since I did not purchase those from them. I eventually found a mom and pop shop who took care of me. Other than catching a screw on the rear tire, I had no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDDZ View Post
          I bought a set of Metzler 880 WW to put on my Vstar on the inter-web. Most of the shops refused to install. Their reasoning was they could not guarantee the tires since I did not purchase those from them. I eventually found a mom and pop shop who took care of me. Other than catching a screw on the rear tire, I had no complaints.
          C & A Customs on Waller Rd. Tacoma/Puyallup will mount them for $30 each.

Comment

All is back to good. I didn't dig into their business on trying to get to why how or who caused the issue, just explained it to them via phone yesterday am, showed up around 1pm to get resolved and was back on the bike by 2p. I was in the shop browsing and overheard a discussion of blame between the gen mgr and the sales mgr indicating the ticket was written too vaguely... Like I said, they are a smaller shop that I otherwise enjoyed working with so I am just glad it's resolved without them trying to avoid blame or minimize my inconvenience. They didn't offer any schwag, discount or other stuff, but times are tight.

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses...glad to have found yall.

Comment

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear they took care of it. I understand a mistake but What gets me pissed off is when they won’t own up to it

This may be a done issue by now... (I always seem to show up at the party kinda late...) BUT...
            There are two things (beside the obvious... the DOT date stamp and the tires I brought...) I always look for when I pick up my bike... the correct tire rotation and on every tire there is an obvious "dot" on the sidewall.
            This dot (sometimes red, blue or green...) should line up with the valve stem...
            The manufacturer puts in on the tire after it is factory balanced so they can determine where the lightest spot on the tire is...

Comment

• JohnnyBGreen
              JohnnyBGreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Good stuff thanks. I didn't check out the valve stem issue. Need to do that... JB

So true star cruiser I just kind of take it for granted cuz I watch them every time, but in addition to that when you remove the wheels take a sharpie and Mark on the discs left and right rear disc right side, this way when it gets to the dealer, they have no excuse for putting the wheel on with the improper rotation. When you get home just take alcohol and wipe it off. In fact I also write it on the rim and I don't even bother wipe it off anymore just an R&L, oh and I take painter's tape and I cover both sides to make sure no b******* gets in on the way to the dealer and back period and then the mechanic there also we'll see that I care if any b******* gets inside of my bearings

Comment

And about local dealers not mounting your tires if you bought them somewhere else f*** them. I had one local dealer say hey just go get your tires wherever you want and we will Mount them cuz we can't match the price. There's always going to be a guy in your town that can do them for a fair price and then the proper manner. I haven't bought a set of local tires from anybody locally in a decade. They just don't keep them in stock because they don't sell them with the exception of the Harley dealers. There's just too many different sizes and choices. I don't know what it is with these dealers but I have one dealer that was charging me $130 for a battery that I could have delivered to my house for $84. In other words he wants to make 60 or $70 profit on a battery, and this wasn't even like a powersports dealer. Needless to say I don't visit him often. Spaceport Suzuki in Yamaha in Titusville Florida will mount a tire and balance for $25 and they do it right it's a 35-40 minute drive but I do it. Recently I found a small shop that'll do them also. My local Honda dealer used to do it for 35 to $40. Then 3 months later I went and they tried to charge me $65 plus tax. Each tire. This is with her wheel off the bike. I told them hey I was just here a month or two ago and it was like 40 bucks what's going on . They told me they're trying to raise money and their service department. So I told them did you ever think maybe that your customers might just stop coming here if you keep raising prices, and I just don't go there anymore either. They have like four shops in the contiguous counties.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by D-Fresh, 2 hours ago
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post D-Fresh
              by D-Fresh

Started by ItBeMe, 23 hours ago
              4 responses
              2 likes