• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Layoffs & CFO Release

https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/harley...nd-of-layoffs/

Things are tough all over.

Comment

The Motor Company has had hard times and good times but they are still in the motorcycle business. I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but here in East Texas all of the dealerships are full of four wheelers, wave runners, riding lawnmowers, and side by side vehicles. It appears that motorcycles are a sideline. They have very little bike inventory and little interest in promoting riding.They call themselves Powersports dealers. Harley is still concentrating on two wheelers and their showrooms are full. I don't own a Harley but I still enjoy visiting a motorcycle dealership that has motorcycles to look at.

Comment

• Brad_G
        Brad_G commented
        Editing a comment
        They do have a room full of shiny things for sure. I too enjoy going in and browsing all the colors and what's new. But I'm not a buyer. Agreed on the other brands showrooms. My local Yamaha/Kaw/Suz/BMW/etc... dealer has about half the showroom of bikes (dirt, sport, some cruiser) and the rest is ATVs.

I'm probably in the minority here (since many people like to hurl insults at HD for quality/engineering issues, not being innovate, etc.) but its a bummer that one of the few American MC companies is falling on hard times. As much as many people hate to admit it, HD is a worldwide icon and I hate to see American mfg. jobs lost (looks like many overseas jobs as well). The market and time will tell but hopefully they won't go the way of Pontiac or Oldsmobile...
      2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here.

• roadiemort
        roadiemort commented
        Editing a comment
        If metrics didn't exist we would all be riding one of some age.

D-Fresh, yeah I didn't want to come off as bashing. They do make some very nice looking machines and I wouldn't be opposed to riding one. But given the premium they get for them, it's hard to pass up a R* that does the exact same thing at far less cost. Best thing about bikes is we can all choose what it is we'd like to ride.

Comment

Are there US tariffs on imported Japanese motorcycles? Are there tariffs by other countries on exported HD cycles?

Comment

• Duke
          Duke commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what Trump has been working on, "fair trade".
          President Reagan helped Harley out by putting a tariff on imported motorcycles over 750cc, which I think lasted ten years. I think Harley should have looked ahead and been a leader in the future markets, like Polaris.

My Harley Star gets a lot of respect from the Harley hog riders. I did a service call last year at a questionable bar. Hardcore dudes that had a side job that was not to be mentioned. In Canada you have to smoke outside so they gathered around my bike. The bartender, a hardcore HD rider asked me what make of bike was mine. I have my tank badge removed etc. as I like a clean looking gas tank.

Anyways, I happily told him it is a Yamaha Road Star. The guys really liked the bike.
        I cannot afford a Harley but if I could buy one, I would rather spend the money on buying items for my RS. The retro lines of the Road Star and the way the dual exhaust sits for me are more symmetrically appealing visually IMHO.

If I were to get a HD I would go for a 120ci. for chuckles and giggles. But as a daily driver and super reliable, I'll stick with the trusty Road Star as it has been with me now year 7. I am not bored with the bike after 7 years and enjoy riding it.

Aside from the Road Star I really appreciate Harley and Indian Motorcycles and wish more bikers would buy them, as they are top of the line cruiser motorcycles.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
          DEEPHATE commented
          Editing a comment
          Harley Star made me chuckle. I called mine a Yamaharley until my wife told me to quit it! Edit: I have had three diehard Harley owners ride my bike and all three were impressed and I think surprised that they were so impressed.

MoCo will be deliberately cutting production and most likely drive up costs for both new and used HD bikes.

As if they’re affordable now for most folks in their current state.

Comment

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I'm not too worried about them. As you say, there will be a market as some (my brother would be one) that are more concerned with the badge on the tank than the actual riding.

Kind of like new trucks. I've stopped and looked at new F-250 crew cab diesels. I'm not shelling out $60/70K+ for a new truck. My trusty old '02 will rattle down the road pulling my 5th wheel just fine.

• Jaybo
          Jaybo commented
          Editing a comment
          Brad, that 7.3 is a great motor! I have an 02 also, 140k on hte clock, and I plan on keeping it for a LONG time!

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed 150K here! No smog/emissions stuff to deal with. Now the downside is the midwest winters have taken some toll. Needs some rocker and cab corners and a box. But I can get a lot of work done for just a couple new truck payments.

RS is definitely bang for the buck big V-Twin, that's why we all ride one.

As a side note, a new Star Eluder's starts at the low $20K mark, you can spend over $30k on an Indian if you deck it out.
        2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like the new Venture. But again...I'm not shelling that kind of $$ out for a bike. My roadie makes me smile just as wide as anything else on the road.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Squirts, 5 hours ago
      7 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Brad_G
      by Brad_G

Started by boomerA, 1 week ago
      17 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post SuperG