Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires?

I need a new rear tire. It has a Metzeler tubeless 150/80 B 16 MC 71 H on it now. What do most guys do? Take it to a motorcycle shop, tire store, or do it themselves? Is there a good /better /best tire? I've been riding since I was 16 and I have never put a tire on bike I have owned. THIS time I asked first! ( I would have asked on my carburetor issue but the site was down...BAD TIMING! )
    ​With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Some here mount their own, some like me take wheels to a shop and some take entire bike in. It’s easy to remove both wheels. Most popular black wall is Michelin Commander II. I’ve had good experience with Metezeler 888, but some other members haven’t. Shinko 777 are soft but good traction, but don’t last long. Some don’t like the weak sidewalls. I just mounted Continental white walls. Stay away from Dunlop’s and Bridgestone. Better than lead weights in my opinion is Ride On tire balancing gel or DynaBeads. Go to their websites.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
      DEEPHATE commented
      Editing a comment
      It's on the jack now since I was feuding with the oil drain plug. I had half a mind to tear into it. I'll have a another beer and think about it...

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been running Dunlop Cruisemax on the rear of my bike for years. I will continue to use them until they don't make them anymore. great traction and long lasting

Shinko 777HD on several bikes... 3 now... Very happy with them
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

Thank you. I was looking at the 888 then I read some bad rap about them coming apart on the left side after 5000ish miles, some with a potential unlucky outcome. I contacted a bike shop that hasn't gotten back to me yet. I have a good buddy that owns a tire shop that I will talk to tomorrow. I THINK I can manage to get the wheel off and back on to safe standards.

Comment

I'd actually like the traction factor over long life I think. I'm really big on traction.

Comment

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably a safe choice given the limited riding we have per year. If you only ride 4-5K miles a year a softer tire that's fresh is better IMHO than an older tire that wears like iron.

See if someone else chimes in. I believe Doc_V may have been the member that mentioned you can remove the rear without adjusting the side to side adjusters. The axle bolt may be tapered if I recall right. Then you don't have to worry about alignment. Also watch if you take the wheel in to make sure you have all the spacers in your possession. Doc has a LONG story regarding that a few years back.

I got 19K from a pair of Metzeler 880s and 12k from a set of 888s, changed only due to a road hazard cut on the front. Never had any issues with them, wore well with faithful tire pressure checking. Remove the pulley hub, two outside spacers and the 4” long internal spacer before taking wheel to shop. Don’t forget to reinstall the 4” internal spacer.

Comment

Im running Perrelli Night Dragons. 7,000 miles out of the rear. Great traction. 14,000 on the front tire. Went to a commander II on the back and didnt care how it road for the first 500 miles. Replacing the front this week due to cupping. I dont check pressure like I should. Got 8,000 on the commander II rear with about another 2,000 left. Will be putting the Dragons back on. I take the tire off and drop it off at the shop for them to install.

Comment

• Brad_G
            Brad_G commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I replaced both tires at the same time with commander II's. To say the first miles were a little unnerving would be an understatement.

Michelin Commander II’s are my tire of choice. On my 2nd set. They have good traction and they last. I’ve had the metzler and they did not last for me.

Comment

So, is it just me, or do you want to have the same model tire on the front and back? I would think you would want to match what you already have on there if replacing just one tire. My bike came with Bridgestones... not my first choice, but since the rear tire is worn, and the front is still good, I am replacing the rear with the same tire. I figure by the time the rear wears out, the front tire will also be ready for replacement. (Again, is it just me or does it seem that I go through at least tow rear tires for every one on the front?).

Having said that, the last time I replaced both tires was on my Royal Star, and I put on Shinko 777s. I actually liked the ride, and felt they were sticker than what I had on there. I understand Shinko's wear faster, and I have heard rumors of quality control issues. And my opinion is based on a sample of 1. But I think for the lower cost, maybe worth replacing more often.

Good luck!

RTT

Comment

• DEEPHATE
              DEEPHATE commented
              Editing a comment
              That's why I was looking at the Metzeler to match the front which still looks great.

Hey Deephate remember in your last post I gave you the numbers for repair shops in charles city. I did my rear tire recently and I removed the rear fender and bags, then you can remove the tire without messing with the adjustment bolt, wasn't bad at all. So the reason I mentioned the shops is the guy I said that was named Jerry only charged me $20 to mount the new tube and tire if I brought it off the bike to him and he did it on a Sunday.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
              DEEPHATE commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I do and I have kept that phone number. I don't understand the part about not messing with the adjustment bolt. How would you get the drive belt off?

Oh, I installed the shinko hd this time and happy so far.

Comment

Called the local independent moto shop he's got a Kenda Dual Sport, he said soft side hard center it's a "crowd pleaser" $231.00 installed. I bring the bike he does the work. Man that sounds so much easier! Any opinions on that tire?

Comment

They are on brackets if I remember right which can unbolt but as for the actual adjustment bolts on both side of the rim they don't need to be touched. There is a struggle when reinstalling but with a little help it can be done, there might even be a YouTube video. I did mine and never had to move the adjusters. Shores in formed me , there is a post on here about it when I asked

Comment

Sorry it was a message to Shores about a thread I found, here is a screenshot of it

Comment

So the belt can be taken off and on without moving the adjusters? Looking it at it I wouldn't have thought that. I really don't trust anybody working on my stuff and would prefer to do it myself. So just pull the brake caliper and remove the axle? That's IT??

Comment

Loosen the adjustment bolt the frame & then slide caliper assembly back, no need to remove it. The adjuster brackets will come off but no worries. Just take your time and keep everything in order when set it aside or you will be doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPHATE View Post
                        Yes I do and I have kept that phone number. I don't understand the part about not messing with the adjustment bolt. How would you get the drive belt off?
                        Once you pull the axle out, the adjusters just fall off, allowing you to move the wheel forward and remove the belt from the rear pulley.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                          DEEPHATE commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And hopefully I can install it reversed? Thank you guys. MAN I'm glad this site is back up!

And hopefully I can install it reversed? Thank you guys. MAN I'm glad this site is back up!
                        Have someone help you. The right side adjuster is easy. Once you get the axle through the right side adjuster and wheel, just leverage the wheel to tighten the belt and have someone slide the axle through the left side adjuster.

Comment

I hoping I don't have to remove the exhaust to get the axle out if it's stuck in any way. Do I need to torque the rear nut when I get it back together? Then I think I would have to remove the exhaust to get to the nut which I'm worried about where they bolt to the head. I'm picturing one breaking off....

Comment

I hoping I don't have to remove the exhaust to get the axle out if it's stuck in any way. Do I need to torque the rear nut when I get it back together? Then I think I would have to remove the exhaust to get to the nut which I'm worried about where they bolt to the head. I'm picturing one breaking off....
                            Dude, you need to get a shop manual so you can be more independent. The nut is torqued to about 85 ft/lb IIRC. The manual saying 110 is a typo and will break the axle. I just use a large adjustable wrench and pull as hard as I can. Nut should be on the right side so no need to remove stock exhaust. I have to drop my left muffler on my duals to pull out axle.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                              DEEPHATE commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have a Climers and a downloaded one also. If I have the option of asking experienced people I do and feel that is a valuable resource. That shortcut on the wheel removal for instance, and that torque setting.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Jon D, 5 hours ago
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post mlharper  
                          Started by Tykes_Place, 16 hours ago
                          21 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Jon D
                          by Jon D