Sick carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick carburetor

I'm about at my wits end with my carb. For 15 years no problem then this year my bike wouldn't run without choke. If I touched the choke or throttle it would die. I called anyone and everyone but nobody would work on it but everyone said carb trouble. I didn't want to but I took off the carb and rebuilt it. I put everything back together turned the key for the pump to come on, I did that three times to be sure I had fuel. I looked down and fuel was leaking out the bottom so I didn't try to start it though I was really curious if it would run. I took it back off again and resealed the bowl. When I bench test it it's not leaking but when I pump the throttle I don't see any fuel coming out that tube in the intake throat. Before I reinstall it again I wanted to ask if I should be seeing fuel when I do that? I really don't want to replace it just to take it back off to throw it as far as I can! I'm lost here....I'M NOT A MECHANIC DAVE
    ​With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

You need to buy a good used stock carb that hasn't been modified... Get OEM Yamaha gaskets to rebuild it (generic off brand rebuild kits of ebay suck and gaskets don't fit well) . The proper jet kit.. And have someone on here who is experienced do the work.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

• coolalexrex
      coolalexrex commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Speaking from experience.

I agree with Lug Nut. This is your 2nd thread on the same topic. To clean the carb properly search up on youtube. If you broke something on the bowl, replace the broken part. If you cant do either, or, find someone to fix it.

Your last words sums up all you need to do....find a mechanic.

Comment

I watched two You tube videos and followed every step very carefully. I guess you missed where I said nobody will work on it. It's a great bike but not when it won't run. I probably won't give up but I've have been dealing with this for two weeks, very frustrating. I'm sorry if I am wasting peoples time here. I was hoping for an answer to my question about the accelerator pump....oh well.

Comment

Float should not stick. If you only took apart to clean have you cleaned all jets (used carb wire/brush kit) and passageways? Was compressed air blown thru them all to ensure they are all unobstructed. If the bowl gasket ripped, replace with a new one. If your bowl is cracked it would need to be replaced or fixed with a fuel resistant epoxy. Not sure why someone wouldnt work on it, if you bring your bike with carb to a Yamaha dealer they should get it running.

Comment

My local Yamaha dealer ( where I purchased it ) will not work on any 15 years old or older. They were the first people I called. I bought carb soak and I cleaned every port with a wire and carb cleaner and blew threw every port with compressed air. I bought a carb kit for the gaskets, needle and seat, and the orings. I thought the float should be very free but it seems stiff to me. I think it leaked because one corner of the bowl gasket moved out of the groove in the bowl. I got that sorted but now I'm concerned with the acc pump. I'm debating on tearing it down again but I don't know what I could do differently.

Comment

I would suspect a member here could fix it for you if you ship to them. I’m a fuelie owner so no help.

Comment

If the fuel pump come on then stopped when the fuel bowl filled you should have fuel coming out of the brass tube when you twist the throttle. Make sure the plunger on the acc pump is moving freely up/down

Comment

Since your profile doesn't show your location, how do you expect someone on this forum to help you? Your problem could be something simple, but so far, your approach to us is basicly " my bike don't work...help me!'.You say you aren't a mechanic...why did you start messing with the carburetor when you don't know what you are doing? We would like to help you, but you have given us very little information to go on.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                  DEEPHATE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What do you need? I live in Northern Iowa, Mason City to be exact home of Mason City Powersports the Yamaha dealer that shares a parking lot where I work that won't work on my bike even though I begged a little and they sold it to me...I asked here about the accelerator pump. Was that too complicated or vague? You ask why I started working on it. I thought if nobody else will what choice did I have? I guess it could have just taken up space in my garage never to be ridden again! Sorry I have wasted so much time here...

• roadiemort
                  roadiemort commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Talk to Yamaha Corporate to piss off your POS dealer. Search out an independent shop if you can from others in your area.

DEEPHATE, that has to be frustrating for sure that the local dealer won't help you. Seems odd they'd be so busy to not want to take on work. My bike is a newer FI model so I'm not as savvy as many here when it comes to R* carbs. Although I've never been afraid to tear into one for my older pickup or tractors.

Couple of thoughts here. 1) I know you're in a large enough area that there has to be a Harley dealer nearby. While they may not be interested in working on your bike either they may be able to point you in the direction of a good independent shop if you'd rather have someone more mechanically inclined fighting this battle. Or if you can find a way to talk to someone back in the shop area at the Yammi dealer maybe someone moonlights on the side?

2) Try not to get frustrated. I know...easier said than done sometimes. I find I get better results sometimes when I just step away and come back later with a clear head.

If I were closer (I'm north of Iowa City) I'd offer to lend a hand. Would be a learning experience.

Good luck with your bike. Be patient and persistent and you'll get there.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                  DEEPHATE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks man. I'm not giving up but it might be sitting awhile.

I am a reluctant Facebooker, but there is the Iowa Motorcycle Riders And Spotters (IMRS) on Facebook... about a year or so ago, I sold the Cobra pipes off my bike to someone from Northern Iowa (I am from the Twin Cities in MN), he was a Road Star rider and apparently quite the mechanic. He was rebuilding a Road Star his kids had given him, and met me near the border in a car he had rebuilt. Anyways, he said he was very active on the Iowa Motorcycle Riders and Spotters group. Sorry, I don't recall his name, but I bet someone in the group is near you and could stop by to give a pointer or two.
                Last edited by RTT; 06-25-2020, 06:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add reason I posted the Facebook page.

Comment

I live in charles city,is but I have never tackled the carb yet. But good news is there is a new repair shop here in town and they both used to work for mason city powers ports. It is called North Iowa Lawn & Sport, 641-631-0399. There is also a guy named Jerry that works out of his garage that used to work for the honda dealer that used to be here, then cedar river harley, his number is 641-330-8870.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                    DEEPHATE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had heard something about that but I couldn't find out who they were. I will try them.

See? Give us more information, and you will get better answers! Now that you have told us where you are, someone on this forum who lives close to you will be better able to assist you, either in working on your bike or directing you to shops that'll actually help you. When I got my first cruiser, a 650 Classic, I went to a Yamaha owners' forum and got several ideas. One of them was in regards to jetting after installing aftermarket exhausts (slip-on Cobra muffler) and a BAK. I screwed something up, and ended up taking the bike to the Yamaha dealer that I'd bought it from, where they allegedly correctly jetted it. I told the service manager that I was jetting the bike according to the forum I was on, and he vehemently derided forums. Some time later, I noticed that the bike smelled strongly of gas, so I decided to check and verify the jetting the dealer claimed to have done.What I found was that they had only done half of what they claimed on the work order. I rejetted (had to buy new jets, because the dealer kept the other parts of my DynaJet kit (which I had bought- at highly inflated prices-from them).
                  This experience told me that n forums, people generally work on just one model motorcycle..at dealerships (sometimes rightfully called "stealerships"), mechanics have to know how to work on multiple models of motorcycles , and if they carry more than one brand, makes. Therefore: on forums, people know alot about one bike at a time. Dealership mechanics muddle through working on mutliple models, years, and sometimes makes, so they know a little about everything while forum members know quite a bit about their particular piece of machinery, and ,often, little tricks for dealing with issues the factory-trained mechanics have only 'standard procedures.
                  As I said in my earlier post, you sounded like you just started messing with your bike, and came to us with 'bike no work-help!

Comment

Do you have the original PMS in the carb?

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                      DEEPHATE commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As far as I know. I bought it used and it had aftermarket straight exhaust and a ported manifold. When I took the tank off there was a Barons sticker on the frame. I'm not sure what all was done to it when I got it. That was why I didn't use the new jets when I rebuilt the carb.

After reading your post I really think you need to find a mechanic (the right one) to help you.
                    The mechanic needs to understand Roadstars. You have to ask the mechanic if they have worked on roadster carbs.
                    Many Harleys use the same carb. Another avenue for you.

It ran when you got it so keep those parts! If it has aftermarket exhaust pipes you need to keep the Barons jets.
                    Even a Yamaha dealer should be able to help you if they have a competent mechanic that has worked on Roadstar carbs.

You have to ask,,,,"Have you worked on Roadstar carbs?"

Comment

I'd try adjusting the PMS. There is an excellent article here on Principles of Modern Motorcycle Carburetor Function

Comment

Wits are still intact after all. My super motorcycle that I have not ridden enough is not for sale as scrap as I previously thought it might be. IT LIVES! I finally got that carb sorted out. It’s running like the day I bought it. I hope this stops those nightmares! DRINKS ARE ON ME!

Comment

What ended up being the problem?

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                            DEEPHATE commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not positive. I just went completely through it all again. I bench tested it for leaks and made sure the accelerator pump was working then decided what the heck lets try it AGAIN. I almost soiled myself when it fired right off! I've had it torn down and back together so many times I could do it in my sleep now.

• DEEPHATE
                            DEEPHATE commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The first time together it leaked so I didn't try to start it, the gasket had moved out of place in one corner. I should have bench tested it but I thought I knew better! My son in law said to be sure the drain screw was tight so I overtightened it and cracked the bowl on the outside around the screw. I filled the hole with silicone and put the screw back then was told silicone isn't gas proof ( I thought I was being smart ). I tore it all down again and cleaned everything. Another time I had it all together it wouldn't pop off at all but after I sat down beside it and cranked the throttle I got gas in the eye because the acc pump o-ring had escaped. Then I realized that I had float issues because the needle seat wasn't going in all the way causing the float to bind. In the end nothing leaks and it runs fine. One thing though, the drain tube is plugged to no end. I imagine there's a ball of silicone stuck in there that carb soak, carb spray, and high pressure air won't release it. In my great state of despair I purchased another carb from a guy on FB, it will be here tomorrow so I will have another bowl when I'm ready to switch them out. All this because I struggled to find someone local to work on it for me! I think I have gained enough experience to do a proper job of it after all my mistakes.

Originally posted by Jclevesque View Post
                          What ended up being the problem?
                          I think he had carb issues..... Lol
                          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• roadiemort
                            roadiemort commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes Keto is the way to go, less carbs the better.

• roadiemort
                            roadiemort commented
                            Editing a comment
                            MR. DEEPHATE was here 47 minutes ago but neglected to answer JC's question.

• DEEPHATE
                            DEEPHATE commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I did now. A no answer type answer. ; /

DEEPHATE, that is how it starts, now that you know that carb inside and out it will be much easier to fix next time there is a problem. Congrats on getting it going.
                          It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                            DEEPHATE commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you! I had dreams of terrorizing the town on it last night. So much better than using it for a coat rack. I'm going for an actual ride tonight after work.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by MikeyC, 1 day ago
                        20 responses
                        3 likes
                        Last Post LUV4RS
                        by LUV4RS

Started by D-Fresh, 2 weeks ago
                        9 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post GreasySam